Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Changing times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing times
    Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:52pm
A lot has to do with where one lives, and the rules for recycling that one has to observe. For example, we just got an updated guidance for recycling that rules out things like take-out containers, even if they have recycle marks and are not polystyrene and are the same material as the bottles and jars that are allowed. It has to do with shape and the automated sorting equipment used.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 6:42pm
If you can't recycle the paper then it's better to put it in the landfill than to burn it. It is sequestered in the landfill but if you burn it you will be putting CO2 and pollutants in the atmosphere.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 6:44pm
The plastic "recycle" marks on the bottom of plastic containers are a big scam by the plastic producers.  Most of the plastic they produce is not recyclable.  They put the little marks on it to simply identify the type of plastic and make us think it means it is recyclable when it isn't.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:19pm
+1. The plastic numbering system is a scam. Most places will only accept type 1 (PET) any type 2 (HDPE) plastics. PET is used in your standard soda/water bottle, cooking oil container, some other food products. HDPE is used in your milk jug, detergent and shampoo bottle. All the rest of the numbers just go in the landfill (if we're lucky) or the ocean (if we're unlucky).

Where I live they won't even accept glass, which is downright ridiculous. In the meantime CA is implenting a separate food waste recycling system. Recycling varies so much by jurisdiction it's crazy.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:29pm
Same here where I am in northern Michigan.  They accept type 1 and type 2 only.  Pop (or as you call is soda) bottles and cans are worth 10 cents each so they don't even make it to the recycle bin, they are returned at the store.  Same goes for beer bottles and cans regardless of size - 10 cents each. 

If the plastic container isn't a type 1 or 2 it is a simple thing for us - we don't purchase it!  Simple.  That way it isn't a problem as to burn it or throw it in the trash.  That is unfortunate to hear of places that don't recycle glass, amazing.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:49pm
 Recycling is something that is in progress and that everyone should do according what their community ability allows. What I have heard too that very little plastic is actually recycled but they are making progress and I think it is good to recycle your plastic waste to keep it together in one place for when the ability to recycle all plastic becomes possible. I know in different communities that I have lived they each had different recycling abilities. Plastic lumber for boardwalks and park benches are some uses I have seen for recycled plastic in recreation areas. But still for now only a small part of plastic collected gets recycled and I read they are working on some kind of bacteria I think that eats up plastic and turns it into a non toxic biodegradable matter. And I agree what has been said about baby diapers they are a huge problem cloth diapers are definitely good to use. I think the younger generation understands pollution and recycling and the environment a lot better than my generation and the younger generation will make some progress in time in making things better.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:53am
Moving to rural SW VA from Santa Cruz CA was an eye opener for me with regard to variation in recycling by jurisdiction.

Best to worst. In SC we had 3 curbside bins, recycling, trash, and green waste. There is now a 4th, compostable food waste, just starting this year as required by CA law. The trash bins are only 20 gallons to incentive you to recycle. That's less than 2 kitchen garbage bags a week for a family.

In comparison, here in SW VA everything but clean cardboard, steel and aluminum cans, and HDPE containers gets trashed. And it's not curbside, you have to take your materials to the collection centers. So most people around here don't bother with recycling, many just burn whatever they can to reduce the volume they need to take in, if they dont just bury it on their own property. Worst of all worlds.

Here is a good video from SC City explaining what is recyclable there and what is not and why. This is likely more than what is recycled pretty much anywhere else. For example, the stretchy plastic bags are LDPE (type 4). They go in the trash most places.

Re burning non recyclable trash. This is not good, even paper. If you can't recycle it it's better to sequester the stuff in the landfill than it is to dump it in the atmosphere.

The trouble is that unless you live in a polluted city it looks like the atmosphere is an infinite sink for pollutants while landfills are local eyesores. If we can't see it it's not a problem, right? But atmospheric pollution is a more critical problem than landfills are. We need to get past the idea that we can just dump stuff in the air and forget about it. Yet another area where humans aren't well equipped to make the right choices.

Recycling
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:08am
Where I used to live in rural NV, there was no recycling.  One's only option was to collect the "recyclables" and drive 30 miles round trip to a recycling center to drop them off, thus putting even more carbon into the air, not to mention unnecessary waste of time.  

Plastic film, foam products, and plastic food trays could be easily eliminated in many cases, but retailers, big box stores, and food shops continue to flood us with them.  There is no reason the produce you purchase has to come in a plastic tray wrapped in plastic.  There are many plastic products that can be eliminated simply by using paper.  For the geezers among us, we all remember buying produce in the grocery store using little paper bags, wax paper sandwich bags, paper grocery bags, refillable drink bottles, and the butcher wrapping the chicken or ground beef in a piece of paper.

Perhaps some basic rules about the production and use of plastic are needed.  We could require that all single use plastic be made of biodegradable ingredients.  We could require plastics manufacturers to implement recycling programs to recover a large percentage of the type of plastic they produce for reuse in their manufacturing process.  If they don't do it, then they have to limit their production proportionately.  There are many ways to make those responsible for pollution accept that responsibility and deal with the consequences, but personal responsibility is not something humans are inclined to accept.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:16am
  I retired from Walmart six weeks ago and I have seen the amount of waste they produce but they have a goal to produce zero waste by 2025. If they achieve that time will tell but they are one of the few stores that collect used plastic upon entering the store which they make plastic bales to be sold. We collect all our clean flexible plastic at home which adds up to a lot and discard and drop off at Walmart in the containers they have. Walmart is using or planning on large trucks that are electric for transporting their merchandise to stores so times are changing for the good but it will take time. I think people need not to buy so much stuff and live a simpler life and try not to generate so much waste live with what you have. I am guilty of this but opening my eyes to seeing all the stuff I have bought that I can live without. But I think manufacturers are realizing this and are making changes. Fertilizers and pesticides can be limited where we lived in south Florida they have made restrictions on their use especially around water ways where they run off into them when it rains and cause environmental harm. These are changing times and our enjoying nature and future generations to enjoy the wonderful things on this earth we all need to be responsible.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

StreetSweeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StreetSweeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 6:30am
The nations electric grid absolutely will not handle more than a couple electric vehicles per city block and that would strain it. The grid can barely handle air conditioners now.
"SWIZZLE STICK"
'22 #171
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>