This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Changing times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing times
    Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 4:04pm
I too have a limited retirement transportation budget. Much of that is absorbed by my airplane, which cannot be electric at this point. Unlike road vehicles, where the weight of the vehicle does not have a great impact on efficiency, in aviation it's all about weight (drag governs as in road vehicles but drag is a function of weight and speed, unlike for road vehicles where it is independent of weight). Batteries are just too heavy and need to increase in energy density by at least a factor of two or three to be viable.

OTOH my towing requirements are no longer significant, mostly just local farm utility towing, so towing range is not a big deal. So I will be looking for either a used EV with moderate towing capacity and range, or alternatively an EV passenger car and a beater ICE pickup which here in Virginia I can simply label for farm use and avoid taxation issues.

I can sell our two ICE vehicles while they still hold velue to limit the expense involved. My concern is that when the tipping point in the transition to EVs the value of used ICE vehicles will drop precipitously.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 4:41pm
Then I would be able to purchase one of those ICE vehicles and the taxes would not be that high either.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 4:09am
   As Bob Dylan wrote the song The Times They Are A-Changin the population has grown camping has become more popular and there's more concern for the environment and seems like in some ways the government has not been able to keep up with the changes. And besides campgrounds Rest Areas are another example there is not enough room for trucks and RV's if you arrive after the sun goes down you may not find a place to park. I feel sorry for truck drivers they are tired and have no place to park and they are having to deal with this all year long.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 4:56am
Originally posted by StephenH

Then I would be able to purchase one of those ICE vehicles and the taxes would not be that high either.

We are all readily able to come up with justifications for either continuing to do what we are doing or for changing. Humans are very very good at that.

So as always it boils down to what motivates one personally. These motivations are either helped or hindered by policy/incentives. Having worked in renewable energy for my whole career energy generation, transmission, and use is an area I both understand well and am passionate about. Others are indifferent or actively oppose changes. I'm not passing judgement on what's right or wrong here.

In the case of EVs however as I said before that particular ship appears to have sailed. There is a whole global economy in the midst of changing and the US is not leadng the charge. Asia and Europe are.

Sadly we as a country no longer appear to be able to align ourselves in the same direction (whatever that direction may be) as we used to be able to do. What might change that I don't know.

As for park congestion and deferred maintenance, that is the inevitable result of global population growth combined with a massive increase in affluence.

It is the same with pretty much all of our environmental resources, CO2 buildup, fresh water, fertile land, forests, fisheries, you name it.

In most of these areas humans are now depleting resources 3 or more times faster that they are getting regenerated. Obviously that is not sustainable, but, being humans, we are not well equipped to make the needed changes (some combination of more efficient use, reduced affluence, an/or reduced population) to try to solve these problems. So it will be solved for us at some point. Simple as that.

In the meantime expect parks to become yet more crowded and degraded. Placing more emphasis on visits to the less popular destinations helps spread out the demand. Leave the high season visits to the Yosemites, Yellowstones, and Smokies to others it's still possible to have a great experience at less popular destinations, many of them National Forest, state or local.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 6:19am
Indeed, Mother Nature is making it clear that we face a "pay me now or pay me later" situation.  Human nature being what it is, we all want to put off until tomorrow that which we can manage effectively today but at a cost.  The cost later will be vastly more dear, but it means less pain today.

Though our individual efforts are important in protecting our world, absent enormous institutional changes, it's a bit like trying to reverse the course of the Mississippi with teaspoons.  We will all find excuses for why our own conduct doesn't matter and say that it's up to the other guy to individually bear the cost, while the big institutional polluters churn out more plastic every year for us to "recycle."

We have been underfunding our state and national forests and parks for the last 50 years.  Of course they cannot handle the increased demand.  We should be expanding parks and national forestland but there is tremendous pressure to reduce public lands which we all depend upon for camping and other recreation.  If we don't be careful, there'll be no places to camp without paying high private RV park rates for a space in a paved parking lot.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:57am
While you are right LA about human nature, I for one am not going to use that as an excuse to give up. We can do what we can do, and our choices as consumers do matter in terms of the industries that thrive and the ones that disappear.

As for the relationship between park funding and access it is inevitable that development be restricted in the most popular parks. All that would be accomplished by funding further development is more environmental degradation of these special places. Yosemite visitors for example experience as much as 3 or 4 hours of traffic delays in summer, nor is any parking available after around 9AM. The trails are jammed. And that's just day use, nothing to do with camping. So I don't really see a viable alternative to restricting access in those cases and in our dedicated wilderness areas.

As for providing more camping opportunities in less desirable areas that would be fine with me, but would be fought by the commercial park operators under the argument that it places public parks in competition with private enterprise.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:40am
A few years ago there was a ballot proposition here to add a $15 fee per vehicle to pay for California state parks. It did not pass. We, OTOH, pay several times that amount for our annual "parks pass". 

When we drive by the nearby Castle Rock State Park, we see dozens of cars parked along the side of the road (often BMWs, Teslas, & other higher-priced cars) so they can avoid paying the entrance fee.

It seems the general population does not want to contribute to park maintenance.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:28pm
Most people are unaware that the GAOA passed last year adding $9.5B in National Park infrastructure funding. Fully bipartisan so it rarely made the news in 2020, yet many of the projects are underway and/or continuing into 2022 and beyond. I put together a visualization of the spend and projects by state if anyone is interested: http://johnmarucci.com/great-american-outdoor-act-budget-map-and-data/

It is best viewed on desktop. If you hover over the project dollar amounts you can see detail on each project. Pretty interesting spend by state and park/property. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:45pm
I personally think none of us should give up on trying to make the world a better place and to protect our planet.  But, the reality of the economics of retirement limits our choices.  We are probably not going to be making any large purchases, be it a vehicle, trailer, etc. for the duration of our turn.  

John, I was one of those unaware of the GAOA bill.  

California state parks have been unaffordable for many years.  Maybe the fact that most of the public can't afford to visit [not counting the folks mentioned by GlueGuy with the BMW's and so on] is leading to funding hostility on the part of the public.  Who wants to pay more for their car registration when they still won't be able to afford to visit state parks?  Maybe CA should institute a program where people could work as volunteers on park maintenance and earn credit for park use?  Just an odd idea.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:15pm
The GAOA was an amazing passage of a bill!  Wow, bipartisan, how about that, miracles do happen.

The old adage says, How do you eat an elephant?  The answer, one bite at a time.  We too can do our part as individuals to help the mess we are in.  Recycle, recycle, recycle.  All glass, paper, plastic, metal (washed clean of course) and cardboard is recycled.  Seeing that we live in the country we have the luxury of having a burn barrel to burn items that recyling doesn't take or junk mail that is too cumbersome to recycle.  That being the case last year we added a total of 3 garbage bags for the entire year to the landfill.  Sad thing is we have neighbors across the street from us that generate more than that every week and no they don't have children in diapers.  We aren't that old, but used cloth diapers for all our kids.  It was a rare moment when disposable were used, convenient yes, but we felt guilty when they had to be disposed of, they don't break down - they are like cigarette butts - or tootsie rolls - "last a long time, last a long time."
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>