Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Changing times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing times
    Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:38pm
I'm not saying that EVs won't work for some people. For some, they are great. I just don't think they are in any way suitable for everyone or for all situations.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 2:11pm
 We have our Ram 1500 Hemi for our tow vehicle and our Kia Soul 2.0 for our run about vehicle. I have been giving thought to a small camper we could tow with the Kia Soul which has a hitch with a two hundred pound hitch capacity and the Kia having a two thousand pound towing capacity. Have looked at the Mypod Little guy campers but not sure we could adjust to that small of a camper. Would be nice though having a small camper that's easy to tow and that gets good MPG.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

Have looked at the Mypod Little guy campers but not sure we could adjust to that small of a camper. Would be nice though having a small camper that's easy to tow and that gets good MPG.

Would work if you don't have any issues with small areas or not being able to stand up if you are stuck inside due to inclement weather.  Have seen these and smaller ones over the years, some are not much larger than climbing into a casket!

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I'm not saying that EVs won't work for some people. For some, they are great. I just don't think they are in any way suitable for everyone or for all situations.

Certainly EVs dont work yet for all uses. But the problem I see is that there is a tendency to view the merits of a particular piece of technology based solely on what it doesn't do as well as what it replaces, and not to give enough credit for what it does better.

In the case of EVs there are so many benefits over ICE vehicles, not even counting the environmental ones, that the case for them is compelling. Once you view it that way it becomes much easier to accept a few minor inconveniences in order to get the benefits the rest of the time. Long trips are the one area where EVs fall short, but they're still quite doable.

And long trips are a small part of most folks vehicle usage. The average daily vehicle use in the US is 29 miles. Heck, for most folks you could just rent an iCE or hybrid vehicle for that rare long trip and still be ahead cost and time wise driving an EV the rest of the time.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 7:41am
Tony Barthel of RVTravel.com had an interesting article yesterday on how the RV industry is anticipating the new world of EV tow vehicles. It sheds light on the early thinking of the industry and their approach to tackling towing range declination for EVs. Basically, the trailer itself would become an EV with below-floor batteries and motors that power the trailer's wheels. This would then lessen the drag on the TV and potentially give back full range. 

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:05am
I think that is a non-starter for any light-weight trailer. It would also likely bring the cost of a trailer up to the cost of a motor home. It compounds the charging problem as then not only the tow vehicle would need to be charged, but the trailer's battery would need to be charged also. How long would that take? I think anyone in line to charge behind such a rig would be very unhappy.

Edit: Some interesting points were raised in the comments. Campgrounds would most likely install meters so that those who wanted to charge such vehicles and trailers would be paying for that privilege. As it is, a lot of campgrounds have power systems that are inadequate now. Add electric vehicle charging to the mix and what happens to the rates as owners now need to spend even more to upgrade the power in the parks. As for boondocking, the trailer might help get you there, but then you might be stuck since there would be no way to recharge either the vehicle or the trailer. As for using solar to charge them, how many panels would be needed to charge the batteries in a reasonable time? I am pretty sure my RPod would not be able to carry enough panels to charge such a setup. Carrying a generator to charge the batteries would seem to defeat the purpose of going with an EV also.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:23am
Unless we start taking care of our state and national forests and parks, the whole issue may be moot.  You can have the most environmentally correct TV and RV available, but if all the campgrounds are full, there may be no place to go.  Parks have been neglected or made unaffordable for the common person for many years.  "There's nowhere to go and there's no where to bide, so farewell to the life of the rover."
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:22am
People worried about range and charge times are not (yet) fully cognizant that you just don't drive and "fill up" an EV like you may have had to with an ICE vehicle. First you need to realize that you will never go to a gas station again. You will never change the oil or filters again. All of the people I know with an EV rarely use a "charging station", as they can fill up other places as part of their usual routine. They charge at home, they charge at the grocery store, they charge at work. Generally, charging happens when you're doing other things and you don't have to carve out time to do it.

Long distance trips will be different, but that will be more the exception than the rule.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 12:23pm
I agree for in-and-around town driving near home that EVs can be a good option. However, I have one vehicle. I do not have the room or the budget for two vehicles and don't want to pay the taxes (NC charges property tax annually on vehicles in addition to registration and license fees). It makes more sense for us to stick with ICE vehicles until such time as I feel that alternatives are viable for us or until I have to quit driving due to age and abilities, whichever comes first.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 12:56pm
StephenH touched a problem that many of us face.  Lots of us are retired and our vehicle purchase options are limited.  I'd love to go out and buy one of the Ford EV -f-150's, but I'll be driving my Ecoboost until I stop towing a trailer because the purchase of a new $50K+ vehicle is simply not possible on my retirement income.  The same applies to our 2015 Mazda CX-5, I'm hoping it'll last until I'm no longer able to drive because I can't afford to replace it with an EV.   As Woody Guthrie once observed, it all boils down to: "if you ain't got the do re mi."
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>