This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Changing times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing times
    Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 6:07am
Before you condemn the Schindler and Ascensores Fain solar powered elevators, you might want to reach out to the their engineers to see how they're working.  Clearly you haven't done so.  Your blanket condemnation of them as only wanting to perpetrate a fraud by appearing to be "green" to building owners and architects and that such a system makes no practical sense is noting but pure rhetorical posturing with utterly no facts to support this baseless speculation.  As for your claim that you were only kidding, well, ok, if you say so.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 8:14am
Good grief.

Re kidding, I never said the skyscraper thing made any sense. I was as surprised as you were that it wasn't meant as satire. Note my Willy Wonka references.

As for solar elevators, no one said anything about fraud. There are lots of bespoke architectural elements and systems, environmentally oriented and otherwise, that are intended to make statements supporting their owners personal or corporate positioning. Few actually make economic sense or are a good use of resources, but they don't need to be.

Varicolored bespoke solar panels are one such. Ive done that for architects in the past, looks cool on the building facade but costs a ton and negatively impacts system performance. Never stopped anyone in the "green" architectural community from asking for them if they had a client with deep pockets.

Solar elevators are another one of those. So is Thyssen's Wonkavator. Methinks that perhaps your favoring one over the other is more a matter of corporate loyalty than anything else.

The energy flow for stand alone solar is what it is, it's not complicated. You don't get nearly as much solar energy in winter as summer in northern latitudes, so if you have an elevator which gets similar usage in all seasons it will either be underpowered in winter or overpowered in summer and either will be wasting energy part of the year or needing additional energy the other part, or both. No way around the first law of thermodynamics. Grid connection solves that, and I'm sure Schindler is doing exactly that behind the scenes, just deemphasizing it for marketing purposes.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 1:38pm
What you said is: "So the Schindler solar elevator is going to appeal to architects and building owners who want to appear to be green more than they actually are green."  In other words, the actors want something to appear different from that which actually is.  That is misrepresentation, which is a form of fraud.  

Before you make representations of energy use on solar elevators, it would behove you to learn from some qualified elevator engineers who actually have experience with these products.  Otherwise, it is just one more internet "opinion."  

This horse has been beaten to a pulp and is making a mess on the road.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 2:59pm
who the f**k really cares about about yours guys ramblings............and negativity......gets old and really doesnt matter to us simple people..........get a real life if able.......
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 3:04pm
just be a normal human being ......f**kin freaks
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 3:14pm
Your statement "in other words" explicitly means that you are attempting to put words in my mouth. As is usual in certain professions, the best defense when losing a technical argument is to attack.

If all buildings were built in a standardized way optimizing the use of available materials, they would obviously require less resources than customized buildings do. It would make for a really boring built environment and deprive the people who are making those design decisions of any freedom of choice.

At some point when these decisions are taken to the extreme and involve environmental elements they become greenwashing, or otherwise absurd behavior. Where that point is is in the eye of the beholder.

For example I think electric Hummers step over the absurd line. Others might think that theyre fine.

But is this fraudulent behavior?

"a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities."

I think most of the deception is probably self deception in these cases, the decision makers usually want to do the right thing but get carried away. And generally if corporations are involved the engineering staff gets a chance to keep the marking folks' claims at least somewhat in line. I wouldn't accuse GM of fraud for producing the Hummer EV. I doubt GM claims that an electric Hummer is actually greener than a gasoline fueled Prius.

The Thyssen Wonkavator and Schindler solar elevator are both somewhere on this same spectrum. Niether is fraud, but also neither is the best use of resources.

I won't argue where on the spectrum each of these is, although I would certainly expect the Wonkavator to be much closer to the absurd than the solar elevator. OTOH, I bet the Thyssen product is a whole lot more fun to ride in than the Schindler one. Unless of course it breaks while you're riding it.....

Either one is ok with me if the owner wants to pay for it.

As for the engineering involved sure
my viewpoint is opinion but it is expert opinion based on years and years of experience in the solar field. It applies to any load device, there is nothing special about elevators that would make them suddenly need far less energy in the winter than the summer so their consumption matches the seasonal solar output in northern Europe and allows them to operate efficiently without grid connection.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 3:59pm
your a freakin freak
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 4:36pm
sorry forum...........ther both freaks that really doesnt care,      sorry but i had to repond .jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 5:57pm
Like I said, the horse was beaten to a bloody pulp and is smeared all over the road.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 6:44pm
tottally concur.........your guys storys are very boring,,,,,,,,how about some real issues ........go pack
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>