R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: batteries
    Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:07pm

I have another question about battery usage. I have a 21 rpod 196. I have two universal 12 volt 100amp batteries on board and for some reason overnight they go down to 50-60% and I have to charge each day. I am using the frig, the heater, and hot water all on gas. I know the water pump is going to drain the batteries some but this seems to be excessive. I have a friend that has only one of the 100amp batteries on his older 2019 rpod and he seems to be able to go for 3-4 days before charging using the same things. The inverter is turned off. We rarely use the fan in the bathroom. The hot water heater's electrical switch is turned off in the heater bay. Any suggestions or just validation that his should not be happening ? Thanks Hunter
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:55pm
You are correct, that is excessive usage.  Hopefully you have a voltmeter or multi-tester to check battery voltage.  First, make certain the electrolyte levels in the cells are full.  If low add distilled water until you get to the full mark.  Second, check voltage, each battery when fully charged at rest should read 12.72v or slightly higher.  If not run a trickle charge on each low battery, 2 amps is a good way to go - let it run for 24-36 hours to slowly charge battery.  After that let is set for 3-4 hours before checking voltage-again after charging it should read 100% or 12.72 volts.  Let it set for a day and check again, it should read about the same, if it is a lot less than it is a good indicator the battery has been hurt in the past and won't hold a charge.

I just replaced one of my 12v group size 24 Interstate deep cycle batteries last October; it was 3 months shy of turning 11 years old.  Maintenance is key to longevity and also not to run it below 60% S.O.C. or 12.2v before recharging.  My other 12v will turn 11 years old April 2022.  They will last with proper maintenance.  This is in northern Michigan.  When boondocking in colder weather (40's at night with the furnace running a lot) we expect 3 days before switching batteries.  As you do we also run fridge, furnace, hot water all on propane.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 7:16pm
Also check to make sure the breakaway switch is in place and not pulled. That would be quite a load on those batteries.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 7:32pm
+1  I bet it would take the battery below 12v if pulled for a 24 hour period.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 2:05am
Yes, first check the breakaway switch.

How much of the time us the furnace running? IIRC the furnace fan consumes 6-7 amps. So if that was running at a very high duty cycle, that could account for your battery discharge.

Excluding those two possible loads there is nothing that jumps out that would explain that discharge. To investigate further, buy a multimeter with DC current measuring capability. They are very inexpensive now, and very useful to keep in your traveling toolkit. Just make sure the meter specifically measures DC current and not just AC current.

Clamp it on one of the battery cables and see what current you are drawing for your various loads.

While waiting for your meter disconnect your battery so you don't destroy it, unless you are watching it on a continuous basis.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 9:56am
I believe if the breakaway switch is pulled, after a short time it will overheat and melt. I've seen it happen once. Maybe not all breakaways do that, but some do. The furnace will take a lot of battery power, I find that in 30 ish degree weather, you'lll get about 2 - 2 1/2 days. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 8:11am
Are you sure the refrigerator is not on 12V?
Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:35am
Thanks for all of your thoughts. When I was using up the battery the way I described I was not using the furnace. Only the frog, hot water, pump, and lights. Hot water and pump were working off propane. I now have winterized the camper so hesitate to set it up again to test. I have a friend that suggested that the hot water heater might be the culprit but I know the electric switch is turn off and has been. I keep the camper plugged in to shore power at home to keep the batteries up. I hope this does not hurt the batteries? Where do I locate the breakaway switch? I have the multimeter on hand now but hisitate to hook everything up again before it gets warm. I will try to read directly from the batteries to see what is happening there in terms of discharge. Thank YOU all again for your thoughts and suggestions. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:42am
The water heater uses 12V for control and the direct spark ignition for the propane. It should not be draining the battery. The electric element is 110V, not 12V. The refrigerator could be the cause if you have it on 12V DC instead of propane or 110V. The pump should not be either unless you had an empty tank and it were running constantly. The LED lights could run for a long time before draining the battery, but you probably were not running them all the time. The refrigerator or the breakaway switch are the two most likely culprits if the cause is a power drain. However, it is more likely given the information you have posted that you have a bad cell in the battery. That is why I said you need to have it tested.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>