R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: batteries
    Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 9:54am
So, Offgrid, are you saying that one should not charge AGM batteries with the charger in the r-Pod?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:22pm
Good question. After my personak experience with 16+V from my WFCO, I wouldn't. That would cook 'em. I'd consider getting a Progressive Dynamics charger future proofed with a lithium setting in case you want to change over later.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:41am
 I had a talk with a mechanic friend of mine and he told me a story of a woman with a camper who had a agm battery which kept running down quickly which I think she charged with the camper. She replaced the battery a couple of times and finally discovered that recharging it with the camper hurt the battery and has now switched to regular lead acid batteries. He suggested that my problem might be the same and that I check with the manufacturer of my camper to see if there is a problem with the rpod charging system charging Agm batteries? I have now left the power off the camper for 24 hrs and the batteries are holding at 12.88 which is down from the original 13.1 when I pulled the power?  I of course have been using the rpod power system to charge the batteries and keep them up whenever I have shore power. Anyone have any contacts with rpod to ask this question? I have not had much luck contacting them . 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:57am
When you test right after turning power off, you are getting a surface charge reading. I think this will be confirmed, but it is recommended to wait before testing. The 12.88 is likely the true state of charge reading since the battery had time to even out.

Note that with AGM batteries, stratification is not an issue.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:58am
You might have better luck getting a name and model number off of the charger in your rPod and contacting that manufacturer.  As a suggestion only and not implying any great knowledge of the subject, you might want to switch battery types.  I have been very happy with two 6v golf cart batteries since I bought the rPod in nov of 2014.  But one does have to check the water level from time to time, and even when it looks pretty good, a surprising amount of distilled water is needed to top each cell off.  And the curve on the front of the pod makes a flashlight and mirror a good choice.  It may be time to replace them this spring.

I recently switched out the battery box but that is a whole different subject.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 3:36pm
Lead acid batteries in a stable open circuit condition will be around 12.6-12.8v when fully charged. The 13.1V indicates that either the battery is charging or has recently been charged. An hour or two at open circuit is sufficient for the battery to stabilize. So your voltage greadings are normal. That doesn't really tell you much about the battery capacity though. Capacity is measured in amp hours. To test that you need to leave a known load (in amps) on the battery for a specified time (in hours). Amps x hours = amp hours. Take out something like 50 amp hours to get a good capacity reading. You'll need a timer and an ammeter. If your battery gets below 12V then stop. There are inexpensive DC clamp on multimeters on Amazon.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123