R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sagging floor and outriggers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atranvt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Atranvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sagging floor and outriggers
    Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 5:45pm
I made my own outriggers and wasn’t sure what to do about the rail.
I decided to cut the rail where the outrigger goes so that it is resting on the floor and not the rail.
After cutting the aluminum rail, I covered the area with silicone caulking to prevent any water penetration.
sjesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sjesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 7:05pm
The outriggers from Innovative Machine or Forest River all rest on the extruded aluminum on the outside wall.  I inserted a 1/8" x 1/2" piece of aluminum in that inverted u gap that I cut from a 3' piece purchased from Lowe's.

On the quarter inch gap between the outrigger and the floor, I inserted a 1/4" thick piece of PVC trim board with a dab of silicone to hold in place on top of the outrigger; I cut the pieces from a 24" by 4' Vernada PVC trim board from Home Depot. 

Wasn't sure if all of this was needed due to the critical weight load is on the extruded aluminum outer piece, which is why I inserted the little aluminum shims there.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 4:47pm
In my trailer modification class in law school they taught us to never.........Wink

In all seriousness, I'd be real nervous about making any holes in the bottom where water could sneak in and stay [if it ever rains again in CA or if you come to visit us in CT].  If you make a notch in the outrigger [option 3] would it materially affect its integrity?  From a carpentry point of view, my trade in retirement, notching the outrigger sure seems like a lot less work and if there is no structural down side, why not?

Good luck with the work.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 4:23pm
I just got the outriggers from Innovative Machine, and I think we have a (collective) fitment issue.

Our RP-179 has a very shallow, inverted U-shape rail that runs along the outside wall on both sides of the Rpod. I think it is used to close out the edge along that outside wall, BUT it interferes with the proper installation of the outrigger(s). See the picture below.

I see several potential ways to deal with this:
  1. add a 1/4 inch spacer for most of the length of the outrigger to "fill the gap so to speak
  2. cut the rail out underneath the outrigger
  3. notch the outrigger to match the shape of the rail
  4. just mount the outrigger such that it contacts the high points on the rail
I'm inclined to do a hybrid of #1 and #2; cut just enough of the rail to allow the outrigger to have a very small space between it and the bottom of the floor, and then add a very thin shim between the outrigger and the bottom of the floor (not sure how thick the flat part of the rail is, but it only looks to be a few thousandths thick).

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by sjesse

We had a machine shop make ours, and they have a template to make more.
INNOVATIVE Machine & Supply
345 Sun Valley Circle
Fenton MO 63026
636 600-1171

Thanks for this post. I called Innovative today, and they are now asking $17.50 each for RP179 outriggers.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
sjesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sjesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 1:30pm
We had a machine shop make ours, and they have a template to make more.
INNOVATIVE Machine & Supply
345 Sun Valley Circle
Fenton MO 63026
636 600-1171
Atranvt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Atranvt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:34am
I have a 2018 179 with the missing outriggers. I contacted Forest River to order the outrigger parts, but they don’t have any in stock and are not sure when they will get more in.
I’m told that some owners have made their own, which I am considering.  If you have made yours, would you please tell me the dimensions of the outrigger and the gauge of the steel you used.

sjesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sjesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 11:43am
Yes, we were able to restore to its original floor height.  We placed two 4ft. 4x4's on the outer edge of the wall- one in front of the axle and one behind the axle - using two scissor jacks on blocks. Over a two-week period I periodically raised the jacks higher as the wall was going up from its sagging position as to not damage any of the body panels. The jacks were raised until the weight was barely off the suspension.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 2:30am
Great write up and suggestion. How did you level your floor and were you able to fully recover your floor height? If not, how close did get?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
sjesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sjesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 1:13pm

The floors /walls of our 2018.5 rpod 190 were sagging to the point the slide side fender was rubbing the tire. Our model trailer only had a pair of outriggers at the very front.  We observed the 2021 rpod model 190 had multiple factory outriggers installed. When we notified FR, they offered to sell us outriggers which we deemed unsatisfactory due to they were not welded at the upper corner and did not extend to the bottom of the frame tube, thus putting too much pressure on the center of the frame tube wall.  We had an independent machine shop (www.innomach.com) manufacture welded and taller outriggers that were powder-coated. The company has the dimensions on file and charge $12@ for the powder-coated steel outriggers that we used, and $24@for stainless steel ones.

We installed seven outriggers on the slide side and six on the other side:

5/16 x 3 stainless steel through-bolts used on the upper hole, with extra thick 5/16 fender washers. We ground two flat sides on the outer washers to fit inside the bracket.  The machine shop will make the outer washers for $3@.

5/16-18 x ¾ machine screw type F self-tapping used on the lower hole applying loctite.

#14 x 1 ¼ stainless steel hex-head sheet metal screws used on the upper outer holes.

We reported a safety problem with the NHTSA https://www.nhtsa.gov/.  We recommend that everyone do this to initiate a forced recall by Forest River.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>