R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2009 Jeep Sahara 4 door tow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2009 Jeep Sahara 4 door tow?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 10:29pm
I have read many places that the Jeep unlimited is ok as a tow vehicle but in other places found it was not.  I am waiting on purchasing a 171 until I get an answer.  Already have the Pod picked out and dealer is ready.  I do not have the the "tow package" on this vehicle but think that is only an extra tranny cooler?  I do have the class III hitch.  Any experiences you can share I would appreciate.  I love my Jeep and it is not going to go.  I live on the Gulf Coast and do not plan any long mountain trips, mountains here are 3 feet high if your lucky! Please share your experience, thanks Robb
Robb Tex
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 11:43pm
The Wrangler Unlimited series have 3500 lbs towing limits with the optional towing package.  The other versions have only 2000.  I would not use the Wrangler as a TV for an r*pod without the towing package unless you want to have the transmission replaced on a regular basis. 
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 5:09am
I think the only thing you would need is the tranny cooler.  Actually it would be nice addition anyway.  Then go get that Pod!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:34pm
Usually the factory tow packages - any make/model - just add the tranny cooler as Terry said.  Sometimes levelling shocks, sometimes the wiring and harness, sometimes a hitch.  But the major mechanicals in the drivetrain aren't different.  Even many rear-drive vehicles don't get different rear differential gearing anymore, now that many vehicles have a 6-gear tranny.

Add the tranny cooler, add the wiring, add the break controller and the hitch, and you are good.  If you get too much rear suspention sag, add a weight distribution hitch.  I recommend the Prodigy line of break controllers and the Equalizer or Equalizer E2 weight distribution hitches.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply