R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

r-pod 196 Wheel Camber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-pod 196 Wheel Camber
    Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 6:32pm
Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the camber on our camper. I am thinking this is normal, but wanted to ask here before taking it to the dealer.

Today I noticed a good bit of negative camber on both wheels. The tire is leaning in on both sides. The camper is about 5 months old and has been on seven short to medium length trips so far. I have not noticed any abnormal tire wear. With the camper sitting level, and using a crude method with a level, there is about 5/8" of lean on both tires. I am putting the level off center in order to miss the tire bulge at the bottom. Is this of any concern?

In addition, my Sister and B-I-L's r-pod 196 is sitting next to mine and I can see the same negative camber on their camper. Only difference is that the camber is slightly less than what mine has. They have three short trips on their camper.  

Thanks!

2021 R-pod 196
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 9:51pm
I have a 10+ year old 177 and have the same thing on my slide side only.  The other side is perfectly straight up and down. 

Being so excited about owning our first travel trailer (March 2011) this was something I never paid attention to until it was a year old.  And having noted others with the same issue, I never worried about it.  I guess the fact that after replacing my first set of tires (even though I only owned the 177 for 5 years but the tires were 7 years old) was that on the side where camber was the issue and having put over 22,000 miles on them, the wear was only slightly more worn on the inside of the tread.  On our 2nd set, Hartland tires LRC, from Tire Factory, the same wear was noted after 5 years, nothing dramatic at all.  Now having recently purchased our 3rd set, Carlisle's I would expect the same as I did with the previous two sets.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:29am
The mid sized rpods like my 179 are somewhat notorious for having bent axle tubes which result in significant negative camber. That is caused because the frame rails where the axle is attached are inboard so the axle is cantilevered for about a foot on each side between the frame and the wheels. The lighter pods are the same design but don't seem to get this problem because there isn't as much weight on the wheels. Several of us have reinforced our axles to prevent this issue.

If you're having a similar problem on your 196 that would be the first I've heard of it, you have a heavier axle and it's attached to the frame closer to the wheels.

It's also possible that the axle torsion arms themselves are bent, rather than the axle tube, that has been reported here before at least once.

My suggestion is to make a warranty claim since you have a new trailer.
They will almost certainly say it's normal and don't worry about it, and they may well be right, but your claim will be on record if it gets worse.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 7:03pm
Thanks for the responses.

My plan is to visit the dealer tomorrow. They have a new 196 and 192 on the lot, I want to see how they look compared to ours. This is my first camper, but I am not new to trailers and towing. In fact, I have a 5+ year old enclosed cargo hauler with torsion axles and the wheels are straight, no camber. 

Overall I have been very disappointed in the quality of our r-pod, but this new discovery is an extreme low for us.

Thanks again.
2021 R-pod 196
Xegavas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Xegavas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 10:02pm
We have a 2021.5 196 HRE and have noted quite alot of camber as well on both sides - when it goes into the shop this fall I plan to bring it up. (as well as get the front window replaced/resealed as it leaked rain water all over our heads on our second trip out).
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 2:35pm
Sorry to hear about the leak. So far the only leak on ours was from the black tank flush, ran out on the floor when I hooked it up the first time.

I visited the dealer today and looked at the new 196 on the lot. The camber looks much different than mine, there was none that I could tell just by looking at it. Mine is pretty extreme, the picture just doesn't capture it. Got an appointment in about three weeks to take it in. Hopefully there is a permanent fix for it.
2021 R-pod 196
chasl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chasl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 9:08pm
we have a 2021.5 196, and so far our wheels are straight, but I'll keep an eye on them. we are going out for 2 weeks camping, our second outing. First outing everything was perfect, except lights would not come on. the dealer fixed it, a staple in wall had penetrated the wiring. He fixed in in less than a day. 
cl
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 5:28am
There really shouldn't be any significant negative camber. Since you don't have a narrow body rpod it shouldn't be subject to the cantilever axle bending issue those have. That leaves the torsion arms themselves as the most likely suspect I think.

One thing you might want to do is weigh the trailer axle with the rpod loaded as you normally would and see how close you are to the axle rating, which I think is 4400 lbs on your trailer. That might help you when you make your warranty claim too, you can show that you're not overloading it.

Unless something has changed warranty claims on the axle and frame are the responsibility of Lippert so your issue is likely to get evaluated by them. Good luck and please keep us informed about how it goes.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Xegavas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Xegavas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 6:05am
@Colonel Podder - I would love to hear back with the results from your dealer appointment

@offgrid - I actually took mine across a scale on our first trip - came in a 3750 on the trailer axle. You are correct - the axle is rated for 4400 lbs.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 7:58am
Thanks! Will post back here once I know something. 

Weighed it on our first trip back in February, and will be heading to the NC mountains in a few days and will get it weighed again. February weights were 4240lbs for the total camper weight, and 3580lbs on the axle. But we have added some stuff since then!
2021 R-pod 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>