R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

r-pod 196 Wheel Camber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-pod 196 Wheel Camber
    Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 10:50am
You should have plenty of remaining capacity in your axle ratings, so I'd suspect a manufacturing issue with Lippert. Some reported failed torsion arms on their 3500 lb axle awhile ago on the forum, which Lippert replaced under warranty.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Xegavas

We have a 2021.5 196 HRE and have noted quite alot of camber as well on both sides - when it goes into the shop this fall I plan to bring it up. (as well as get the front window replaced/resealed as it leaked rain water all over our heads on our second trip out).

I have just sat down as I have been working on our new RPOD 192 since we got it last Thursdsy the 8th.

I wanted to comment on your leaking front window as we had the same problem. As soon as we pulled out the mattress to make the bed we saw the moisture and discoloration on the bed plywood platform. We contacted our dealer who had us bring it in for first thing Monday, when they resealed the front window, let it cure and water checked it before we left for home, which is about 1.5 hrs away.

They said we did the right thing bringing it in and they have submitted the paperwork to have the window and the seal under it replaced. The factory didn't seal the window properly and they are taking care of it to make it right.

My input is to stay in contact with your dealer, let them handle the claim process and help them by documenting all problems. We took lots of photo's, the dealer took photo's and I just got in from taking more and measuring the window etc to email them for the warranty claim. We are very happy with our trailer (our dealer especially!) and can't wait to head out next week on our first short shake down trip.

Sorry for the off topic post, and have a nice evening.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Xegavas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Xegavas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 9:06pm
Not to derail the thread... but heh

When we discovered the leak it was 2am on our last night of a 2 week trip. I had a tube of clear silicone with me so we did a lantern light silicone session as the rain let up a bit. It rained more later that night and no more water was coming in. First thing I did the following Monday was call our dealership - we will have warranty from Forest River until December and another 5 years extended beyond that. We had a chat with them - since my repair held up we (the dealership and myself/wife) decided to leave it until the fall to repair it properly as to not screw our entire camping season. I had them setup an appointment for October and send me an e-mail detailing our discussion and next steps.

After looking at the window a little closer - it looks like one of the screws inside was installed wonky - causing the seal around the trim to separate on one side (both sides don't look the same).
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toyanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 10:59pm
Your wheel should be plumb with the side of the trailer and your dealer should repair it under warranty.
It is easy to check with a 24" level.

Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2021 at 2:11pm
Picked up the 196 from the dealer today. The purpose of this appointment was to determine the course of action to repair the negative camber in the wheels. The determination was made that the axle needs to be replaced. It will take 7-8 weeks for the new axle to arrive, and 4-6 weeks for the dealer to replace the axle. They did say it is safe to use, but I will have increased tire wear on the inside edge of the tires. After the axle arrives, I can schedule the replacement for when the camper is not planned to be used. 

I asked if the replacement axle would be a better unit, or the same as what I have now. They said it would most likely be the same axle, and that an issue like this very rare, so I should not have a reoccurrence. 

Will most likely schedule this during the winter months, December - January. 
2021 R-pod 196
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 12:34pm
Update - Dealer called and said they they need the camper back for measurements. Not sure what was done the first time, but I was told they would get measurements and anything else they needed to send to the manufacturer on the first visit. 

I know this is not a huge deal, but I am very disappointed in the quality of our R-Pod. There have been several items what I have repaired myself, and now two major items that need to be repaired in five months or ownership. It is unimaginable how bad these campers are designed and constructed. Plus the fact that there appears to be zero pride in the manufacturing process. You would not believe the mess I have cleaned up while doing some of the small repairs. Seams to me that manufactures could improve profits, with fewer warranty repairs, by improving the design and manufacturing. They would have a happier customer base, that is also more loyal in addition. But maybe this is not what they want?

Sorry for the rant.
2021 R-pod 196
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 12:46pm
I couldn't agree more.  They have design failures that are inexcusable as well as quality control issues. I have seen assembly mistakes that just point to workers not caring about what they are doing.  How long did it take them to reinforce the black/gray water hangers?  I cannot believe the quality of the plywood used in construction.  When they look at cost they figure it for their entire product line so cheap plywood saves considerable money but if you look at an individual trailer and the increase to use good wood is not much and they could use that fact in their advertising.  I used to work in boats and people were willing to spend a bit more for quality.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 7:42am
The dealership has completed the axle replacement. While it does look better, it is not as I thought it would be. I still have a fair amount of negative camber on both wheels, but it is much better. I guess there is a certain amount of negative camber built in? Not sure why this would be though. 

Now I am waiting on parts for the next repair!
2021 R-pod 196
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:29am
Have you weighed it? The axle will bend up at the ends and down in the center as you put load on it. So the heavier your axle load the more negative camber you'll have. Be sure you are well within spec on your axle load.

Many of us have found that there is insufficient safety factor above the axle load limit in rpods and other inexpensive lightweight travel trailers. You need at least 2x safety factor for bump load, more is better.

Some have installed axle reinforcement to address this problem, myself included.

The simplest axle reinforcement is to place a 2x2x3/16 steel angle under the axle, extending to the ends of the axle tube on both sides. The angle needs to be crowned a little in the center, which can be done by getting a shop with a hydraulic press to apply pressure downward on the corner of the angle while holding the ends up. Around 3/8 inch crown should do it.

Then get 4, 1/2 in dia square u bolts and clamp the angle to the axle at each end. Place the u bolts at 45 degrees to the vertical and 90 degrees from each other. If you use the advanced search and look back about 3-4 years you can find my thread and others on this topic. This was done on the 179 but it's looking like the 196 has similar issues.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:57am
Thanks for the tips, I may have to do some more work on it myself. I didn't think about the gear that is loaded making the tires have some camber. I have about 440 pounds of stuff in the trailer.

The trailer axle weight is 4040, and the axle has a 4400 pound rating. So I am close to max, but have a little room. And you are correct, not a lot of room for the safety factor. 
2021 R-pod 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>