This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrying to Decide . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to Decide . . .
    Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 10:08am
Originally posted by sadiehikes

Not that I don't trust the salesman . . . but, he did say I could pull a pod with my "ancient" (1985) Volvo!

LOL LOL
We had a 1991, 740 series Volvo with 225,000 miles. The manual said it would pull 3300 pounds but I think you may want to call your Volvo dealer and ask how much it will cost to rebuild your transmission.
Ours gave up it's life in the great 'cash for cluckers' deal. It broke down twice on the way to the dealership but managed to hobble in on it's own power.
Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by sadiehikes

I know there are some women on this forum . . . how hard is it to get set up/hooked up/etc by yourself?
 Ann

Ann,
I used to hook up my pop-up camper all by myself -- it would take me a few tries to line the ball and hitch up just right, but I did it.  I used to set up that big pop-up camper and take it down all by myself, but the Pod won't be nearly that much trouble.  I am in my 50's and not particularly athletic at all.  So if I can do it, you can do it.  As for backing up, it just takes a little practice.  Follow the advice in the forum and you will do just fine!  Smile
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee

5. Silcone spray for the rdome c-channel (after making sure not screws are sticking out), make the r dome set up a one person job.

Lee,

I was told at the dealership that the R-dome was a 2-man job.  But I set up camp all the time all by myself and I sure am hoping I will be able to put the dome up by myself, so you give me hope in that department.  So I will get some silicone spray (any particular kind -- right now the only silicone spray I have is for the slideout -- will that work?). 

One other question -- I WILL need a ladder when sliding the dome into c-channel, right? 

It will be the end of May before I can go on my first campout with my new 177, and I can hardly wait, I tell you!

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

SweetPeaPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 2:34pm
Hello All!  I am not new to camping, been at that since the kids were little in the ice age.  Started with canvas, went motorized, then diesel, 38' pusher, which, is my home now.  Dropped down to  almost canvas with my purchase of my R Pod 175.  Was not my first choice..Wanted a 177; However, took the ugly duckling uncomfortable couch that could never be considered a spare "bed" and made a Rt. 66 decor window seat complete with a drop-down table.

backing up using the tennis ball extension rods makes backing up a one time deal. I have a Dodge 1500 with an extra cab, so big things get hauled in that allowing for muchstorage space for pod-only articles.

would like some feedback re: generators..perhaps attached to the pickup bed?  do any of you have that set-up with a fairly inexpensive generator...say around 500.00?  Also would like to know if anyone has words about batteries...I have only one and it seems to drain very quickly.   Think I am just spoiled by the conveniences of a motorhome.....

Well anyhow, this is the Sweetpea-Pod signing off .  Thank you in advance for an tips you can give me.  (being an older female in this group...Ladies...YOU CAN DO IT!!)  

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 4:53pm
Welcome!  First question to ask when the question of generators comes up - do you plan on using it when boondocking with nobody around, or within campgrounds during non-quiet times?  A genset in the price range you mention will provide the power to run everything in the 'pod, but it will be loud - contractor worksite loud.  Not a huge problem if you get it 50 feet from your 'pod and behind a tree, when boondocking.  A huge problem for your neighbors if you are in a campground (or at a Wal-Mart for a night where the rule of thumb is to be discreet).  Once you get up to around $2000 you can get something that will be relatively quiet like a Yamaha or Honda inverter-genset - but still not quiet when you start your A/C and it has to rev up to full-speed.  If you do get one I agree with your choice to mount it on your truck and not the tongue of the 'pod, that will keep the vibration from driving you nuts plus you can keep it away from the 'pod somewhat.

Make sure your battery is a true deep cycle battery and not a starting battery.  Dealers install the batteries and not Forest River, and some go cheap by adding a cheaper starting battery.  Those will die after being used like a deep cycle after about 10 uses.  The cheapest deep cycle I've found is from Wal-Mart (I bought 16 of them 2 years ago so I priced around).  We've gone multiple weekends dry camping with our 1 battery w/o a problem, which includes washing dishes and taking 4 showers, plus some use of the lights at night.  We use a separate battery to run a small inverter for our laptops and cell phones.  If you find you need more battery power you could add a second in parallel to your first (assuming the first is decent to start with).  There is room on the tongue.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:31pm
Welcome SweetPeaPod!  I agree with Techntrek on all points.  It would be helpful to know how you intend to use the generator.  Good luck in your new Pod!  Smile
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by SweetPeaPod

Hello All!  I am not new to camping, been at that since the kids were little in the ice age.  Started with canvas, went motorized, then diesel, 38' pusher, which, is my home now.  Dropped down to  almost canvas with my purchase of my R Pod 175.  Was not my first choice..Wanted a 177; However, took the ugly duckling uncomfortable couch that could never be considered a spare "bed" and made a Rt. 66 decor window seat complete with a drop-down table.

backing up using the tennis ball extension rods makes backing up a one time deal. I have a Dodge 1500 with an extra cab, so big things get hauled in that allowing for muchstorage space for pod-only articles.

would like some feedback re: generators..perhaps attached to the pickup bed?  do any of you have that set-up with a fairly inexpensive generator...say around 500.00?  Also would like to know if anyone has words about batteries...I have only one and it seems to drain very quickly.   Think I am just spoiled by the conveniences of a motorhome.....

Well anyhow, this is the Sweetpea-Pod signing off .  Thank you in advance for an tips you can give me.  (being an older female in this group...Ladies...YOU CAN DO IT!!)  

Sweet Pea Pod,
Do you have pictures of the sofa modification that you made?  We also had a 175 (177 didn't come out until after we had purchased) and found that the sofa didn't work well for us for eating as dog takes up floor space for table.  We made this modification that also adds storage.   Since I am pretty short at 5' 2" and Craig is careful, it works for us.   I would love to see what you did.  Sorry for the highjack.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:48pm
Hodge Podge  I travel by myself. I can put the dome up by myself in about 15 minutes. I have been doing so for a year and a half. No problemBig smile
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:23pm
Thanks tdrace for letting me know that.  So it's really no more trouble than putting up any other screenhouse or dome tent? 

I used to tent camp with my children for years.  Then I graduated to a tiny pop-up, then a bigger one, then a fifth wheel before downsizing to the R-Pod.  I was thinking that given all the ways I have had to set up camp, I just couldn't picture the R-dome being THAT big of a problem!

I appreciate your feedback.
2011 Mercedes ML350

Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

So it's really no more trouble than putting up any other screenhouse or dome tent?

Its a little bit easier to put up than any screen tent or screened add-a-room that I've ever owned.  But, for those under 6', a stepstool will probably be required.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>