R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrip Damage and Delamination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trip Damage and Delamination
    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:21am
I have damage on the front right lower corner of my r189.  I have pulled the entire lower railing that protects where the sides meet the floor.  This was caused by poor fit at front corner and factory tried to cover it up by using a lot of extra screws to try to pull it all together.  The metal plate in the front of the trailer has about 1/2" air gap and they cut back part of the fiberglass to try and pull the railing in.  I decided to fix the delaminations by injecting epoxy resin and clamping.  Then I will replace the railing and try to get it to fit properly.  There is a delamination that is beside the front storage hatch.  Does anyone know how hard it is to pull the hatch out and how you go about removing it?  I can fix all the delams if I could pull the hatch.
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:02pm
I got the injectors which are essentially large syringes with silicon tubing.  I have epoxy ordered as well.  It is a slow cure epoxy.  Once I inject the epoxy I have a rubber roller that I used for putting on veneer to roll the delams enough to spread the epoxy then I will clamp them flat.  This should fix the accessable delams.  There are some that would be more difficult in that I would have to remove a window or a hatch.  Just not sure how hard that is?  I could drill a small hole at the top of the delam and inject it that way then I would just have a small hole to fix.  I assume that Forrest River can supply matching paint?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 9:50am
Okay I have started the repair and I have to say I am disappointed with Forrest River.  The construction issues I see caused the problems.
1.  It does not appear as though they used marine plywood?
2.  There is no sealer on the edges of the plywood
3.  Where there is an improper fit the solution is more screws
4.  The hatch framing had very little sealer so the frame easily let water in.
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 10:02am
Wow, hats off to your ability to deal with your delamination issues! I can only add my distant support to you and hope you can overcome the manufacturing deficiencies.

You would think something as simple as marine grade plywood where appropriate and sealing ends cuts etc would be the standard, not the exception. It all costs more and takes more time, both not welcome in production facilities.

Good luck and I will continue reading your posts on your findings and repairs! I am sure others are reading and learning through this as well.

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 10:29am
This shows the delamination around the hatch area

This shows the front corner delamintaion area and air gap on metal

This shows how little sealer was used on the hatch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 10:36am
I worked on boats for the first 25 years of my employment.  One thing I know about trying to laminate fiberglass to plywood is you are dealing with a pretty smooth surface.  You would need to first use a penetrating resin (thinned down alot) to get it to go deep into the wood.  Then you would laminate the panel with full strength resin.  I have never seen this done that it doesn't eventually let go.  When you don't seal the edges then moisture is going to find it's way in and it speeds up the process.
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 11:44am
I would imagine that is why Forest River and others are using Azdel in their walls, etc now. To avoid the inevitable delam. issues. We see so many older trailers, RV's etc where the fiberglass is releasing from the substrate.

Now if they would only upgrade the floor to avoid the water ingress damage that has occurred to others when water gets into it. But that would cost more.

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 12:33pm
Mine is a 2018 and it is outrageous to see this happen in three years.  I don't know how FR was attaching the sides to the aluminum framing?  It isn't screwed on as near as I can tell.....no sign of glue or sealer along lower edge so I guess they were relying on the lower aluminum railing to hold it in place....makes no sense to not have done something stronger.  When did they go to Azdel?  These aren't cheap trailers so they should do better.
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 3:23pm
I am guessing they started using Azdel in or about 2019? I havent researched it but for sure had it in 2020. Ours is supposed to come up to Sudbury here in Ontario next week so do I know they aren't cheap! We ordered it on 2nd of March. So much to check when we do our walk through. We have our fingers crossed that it will be a keeper.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 6:53am
It takes a lot of clamps to get everything in place.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>