R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedV8 or V6 Twin Turbo pickup?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 or V6 Twin Turbo pickup?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:36pm
I have a 2012 F150 with the 3.5 EB engine.  It now has about 160K.  Has had no real issues since new.  Gets 18- 20 when not towing and about 10 average towing, regular fuel.  Everywhere we go has at least one mountain pass to concur.  As far as maintenance goes I have had to replace the plugs twice.  It will not go the 100K.  60K on originals and 75k on second set.  Have been happy with the power and ride of this truck.  Always use synthetic oil, especially with the turbos, 10K between changes.  Intercooler was replaced early on under warranty.  Truth be known it likely just needed plugs.  Anyway that is what I know. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 3:58pm
Yep GG, I only need to know about Toyota Highlanders. I just make my decisions randomly by the seat of my pants. Like this guy.

Ignore the fact that EB engines have two separate fuel injection systems and two turbochargers, not to mention variable valve timing (yes I know the Highlander has vvt too) all run by computers. All that stuff is going to last forever and never break. Of course not, Ford says so.

I think I have it now. It must be the f150 Ecoboost cult. Turbocharged engine pickup trucks, what could possibly be better? Why would anyone want a normally aspirated SUV, haul with a utility trailer, keep their vehicles forever, and work on them themselves? That couldn't possibly be a better fit for anyone's needs.

Eco non booster
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:27pm
OG, if you like your Toyotas, that's great, but why do you consistently have to put down those of us who choose something that different from your personal preference?  If you google the reliability of the gen. 2 EcoBoost engines [admittedly not scientific, but neither are any of the assertions you have made] automotive writers are consistently saying that the service life of the engine is 200K or more.  Here is but one of many examples:  https://4wheeldriveguide.com/how-long-will-2-7-ecoboost-last-maximum-mileage-longevity/

As for an F-150 EcoBoost "cult," it doesn't come close to the true belief of the Toyota cult members.  I'm still waiting for Toyota to come clean with their sudden acceleration defect that killed too many people.  Their bogus and clumsy attempt to blame it on the driver's side carpet and operator error was nothing more than a cynical attempt to hide a serious engineering flaw.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:25am
LA, at what point did I put down your choice of an Ecoboost Ford engine?

This thread is directed toward the pris and cons of larger normally aspirated vs. smaller turbocharged engines.

Here was my response:

If the new Tundra engine is out of the ls500 then it's got a few years history behind it already. That being said, my personal preference would be for normally aspirated engines of higher volume (regardless of manufacturer). Less engine stress and complexity.

That is a very reasonable personal preference and is neutral with respect to manufacturer. I do not drive at altitudes over around 4000 feet, so I have no compelling need for a turbo in the arena where it has a clear advantage.

In contrast, you have suggested that I am such a Luddite about turbochargers that I should just go buy 1940's engine tech. That kind of lack of tolerance of alternative viewpoints is a hallmark of cultish behavior, as is the unacceptably of dissent.

Here is another cult like behavior for you: raising unrelated issues to distract attention. Toyota unintended acceleration claims have absolutely zero to do with the topic of this thread.

As for your reference article, the folks interviewed all had around 100k on their vehicles. But I don't really care about how good vehicles are in that mileage range. I usually buy my vehicles used with around 90-100k on them (my Highlander had 88k). So I'm interested in the reliability history of vehicles between roughly 100 and 300k. That history takes many years to aquire. It took me 11 years and 3 design generations to decide I was ok buying a Prius, even though I thought its hybrid technology was darn compelling.

In that mileage range things start to break, and more complexity means there is more stuff to break. That is my point. Most folks don't do it the way I do, which is why I stated it was a personal preference.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:33am
Lets all hug and sing kumbaya....

Evil Smile
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:28am
Calling those who happen to like the EcoBoost engine "cult" members is insulting, OG.  From your post:  "I think I have it now. It must be the f150 Ecoboost cult."
     Cult (from the Oxford Dictionary):
           - a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
            - a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded as others as strange or sinister.
          - a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

Everyone can choose any engine that s/he feels serves her/his needs best.  You happen to like Toyota, others Chevy, Nissan, etc.  When someone states that he has been happy with a particular engine, or vehicle for that matter, you don't need to go on ad nauseam about what a poor choice he or she made and how much better your choice is.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:31am
Show me where here I have recommended a Toyota over any other normally aspirated tow vehicle. The thread is about turbos vs non turbos, and the majority of the discussion had been about the F150 where it is possible to directly compare two engines of very similar capability, one turbocharged and one not, in a very popular vehicle.

I DO recommend the Prius hybrid for passenger car use (not for towing), I think it is a great piece of engineering. But that has nothing to do with this topic. So much for my favoring Toyota.

As far as insults go, after numerous attacks for not agreeing with the Ecoboost crowd, including a suggestion that if I didn't like EB engines I should go get an L head engine from the 1940's, I concluded that there must be a cult following there. Otherwise why not simply accept my personal preference and move on?

I suggest we do so now, we have certainly beaten this poor horse to death.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:01am
DO NOT MAKE ME PUT Y'ALL IN A CORNER...
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:40am
Because. Just because.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

If you want to talk about reliability, turbos are not the issue. They just don't fail all that often.

If you are comparing the V6 to the V8, the latest iteration of the coyote has been having significant issues with oil consumption. It's apparently a process problem with the plasma-coated cylinders. 

This was the reason why I got rid of my F-150 with the 5.0 Coyote engine.  Oil consumption.  With only 140,000 miles we were going through 1.5 quarts of oil every 1000 miles.  After our 2019 trip to RMNP and Utah for a month I burned through 9 quarts of oil after traveling 6100 miles.  At that rate I never have to change the oil do i?  Changed to a 2017 F-150 with 3.5 eb.  Happy so far and hoping it will go as far as my old 94 F-150 5.0 V8 stick with 322,000 miles.  Still see her on the road a lot, just had to sell it after killing 31 deer and hitting over a hundred, the metal body started to show signs of wear, especially the front end but at least it had a 'killer' bumper on the front!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>