R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedV8 or V6 Twin Turbo pickup?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 or V6 Twin Turbo pickup?
    Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 12:16pm
I was told when purchasing my 3.5 EB to let it idle for a few minutes before shutting down if it is either running in hot weather or been hauling a trailer to let the turbo cool down.  Do you concur?

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by jato

I was told when purchasing my 3.5 EB to let it idle for a few minutes before shutting down if it is either running in hot weather or been hauling a trailer to let the turbo cool down.  Do you concur

That's what I did with my turbo.  I rarely ran it hard, but it seemed to be a no-cost precaution that might help a little.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 1:38pm
If I had a turbo, I would definitely give it a few minutes of cool down after running it hard on the highway...especially after towing when possible. That extra heat is best dispersed a bit before shutting down.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 7:41am
Thanks all.  I'm considering a 2022 Tundra which is rumored to be coming out with a V6 twin turbo engine based on the Lexus engine.

Or maybe a Ford F-150 EcoBoost.  I need a double cab with a standard length bed.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 8:01am
I am always a bit leery of the first couple years when a new model or big change occurs. Might pertain to a Toyota! It is fun to have a new design but sometimes a good idea to let them get the bugs out. But, it is a Toyota after all so....It comes down to the test drive and they are fun to do.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:26am
If the new Tundra engine is out of the ls500 then it's got a few years history behind it already. That being said, my personal preference would be for normally aspirated engines of higher volume (regardless of manufacturer). Less engine stress and complexity.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by offgrid

If the new Tundra engine is out of the ls500 then it's got a few years history behind it already. That being said, my personal preference would be for normally aspirated engines of higher volume (regardless of manufacturer). Less engine stress and complexity.

I agree with higher volume, less mechanical stress and complexity.  That's the direction I'm leaning.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by jato

I was told when purchasing my 3.5 EB to let it idle for a few minutes before shutting down if it is either running in hot weather or been hauling a trailer to let the turbo cool down.  Do you concur?
That may have been true in the old days, as shutting down quickly would cause the oil in the turbos to sit and coke up.

However, the way the new turbos are designed, they have auxiliary cooling and do not get hot enough to cause the coking. That, and with synthetic oils, that kind of problem is thankfully behind us.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:04am
The extra fuel economy and consequential lower carbon emissions is an important factor to consider when choosing an engine for a TV.  Over the service life of the engine a mile or two per gallon adds up to a lot of gasoline which, when burned, dumps a lot of extra CO2 into the air.  

If one is worried about engine reliability, some manufacturers offer extended warranties for an affordable price.  We just got a 150K/6yr. transferrable warranty for all the major systems for our F-150.  Now any concerns about the reliability of the turbo engine are put to rest.

I personally would prefer to get one of the electric F-150's, but the range is completely impractical as a TV.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 1:21pm
It all depends on what your priorities are. I do agree that low carbon emissions are important, but if you really want to reduce CO2 then towing a travel trailer cross country is not really the way to do it. Drive a hybrid or an EV and camp in a tent.

If you value the very highest reliability then a normally aspirated engine of adequate displacement is a better choice. 150k miles is nothing these days. I'm at around 200k on both my Toyotas and only plan on selling them when I find an EV that meets my needs.

That could be the new F150. I've been waiting for the bidirectional charger feature as utility outages are common here in rural SWVA. I no longer need long distance towing as I am selling the rpod. For local towing which I do a often it's fine. I put my prepurchase deposit down on one, we'll see.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>