R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedH2O pump noise reduced!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: H2O pump noise reduced!
    Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 10:41am
In another thread, the subject of excessive noise from the water pump was discussed.  I had an idea and tried it this morning.  While I do not own a decibal meter, I thought I could use my radio's microphone level indicator to show some real evidence....other than just saying it is quieter.

This is the set up, prior to work, with just rubber grommets under the pump.

This is what the microphone level indicated with the pump running, as in the picture above

I took a scrap piece of baseboard and a tile sponge; screwed the baseboard on top of the sponge ( in oversized holes) and then screwed the pump (no grommets) to the baseboard.  Do not compress the sponge too much!

This is what the meter showed with the pump running in the new configuration.  Much less noisy.

In case you're worried that I was broadcasting pump/sponge sounds, don't...I was transmitting into a "dummy load" (it did not go "over the air").

It helps quite a bit!
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 10:48am
CQ CQ   Ihave not really been bothered by the pump noise but your fix did the trick.
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 3:54pm
Great visuals and a very clever solution.  I like using the transceiver to document things!

I will be giving this a try when next I get to put my hands on our unit!

N3PGW
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 11:52pm

I was flipping through the bands on my scanner today and came across this broadcast with these strange humming/vibration sounds...  then silence.  :-)

Very cool that you got yours so quiet.  I just may have to try that out.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 5:34am
A couple of things that I would do differently:
1. Use a thicker piece of wood - like maybe a 2X6 for more mass
2. Make rubber "sleeves" for the screws that the 2X6 to the floor to go thru to further dampen vibration (small diameter rubber hose- like automotive vacuum hose)

I did not have either of these on hand yesterday and was too lazy to go buy them - maybe next spring.  I'll likely be winterizing when I get back, prior to Nov.1, anyway.

My 5th wheel neighbor purchased a tank, but a little different than the Camping World one.  He bought it at Lowes and the rough dimensions are 8"X13".  It has a diaphram much like a pressure tank for a private well water system.  For those of us not on city water, it even looks like a baby pressure tank; holding maybe a gallon of water.  He said it helps a bunch, with the theory being that the diaphram absorbs a lot of the pulsing/vibration that would otherwise be transmitted thru the piping.  He seemed to remember paying about $40 for it.  I'm going to check it out on my next trip to Lowes.

Back to the sponge - I only tightened the screws enough to take the vertical "play" out of the wood.  The only compression of the tile/grout sponge is due to the weight of the pump.  The more compressed the sponge is, the more it defeats the purpose of the sponge. You'll still hear your pump, it's just less obnoxious.

If you hear some strange pump/sponge sounds on your scanner next spring...you'll know I'm busy with the upgrade! LOL
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 8:34am
That turned out to be a very good test!  I'll have to try out your solution.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 7:22am
Thanks all!  The Mod definately fit my budget = $0.00 LOL   Being hearing impaired (both ears) I felt like I needed some visual evidence regarding the noise.....I just don't hear like most of you.  What is loud/quiet to you, is not the same for me.

The recommendations of insulating the pipes are excellent, also.  Though mine has the flex hose, for about a foot and a half, from  the pump to the "PEX" type tubing, they shake a lot.  It will be on my "to do" list for spring.  Also, if I go with an accumulator type tank, I'll want to figure out a way to drain and bypass it - for winterization purposes.  Anyone done this?
 Post Reply Post Reply