R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

GENERATORS???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GENERATORS???
    Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Originally posted by Masternav

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Your point is valid, but your math is off significantly.  Ethanol produces 70% of the energy of gas, so if gasoline has 10% ethanol content, then it will produce 3% less energy than pure gasoline, not 10% less as you stated.</span>

The math may be wrong on the chalkboard or the computer screen but in the real world the math is correct. Since typical gasoline engines and even typical flex-fuel engines are not optimized for burning a 90-10 blend (or any other blend) then yes...we get about 10 percent less range per tank, or 10% less mpg. 
I have verified this many times. 

This is the post I was referring to, weeks ago btw.

Every credible source (including the EPA BTW) states that fuel economy with E10 is 3-4 percent less than with non ethanol gasoline, yet you say you have personally verified a 10% reduction many times.

Please then share your scientific data demonstrating that. How did you control for all the other variables that effect fuel economy and what were the statistical techniques you used? Or perhaps this is just an personal anechdote you are putting forward? Again.

With reference to Colt's post, if we bought fuel by the pound your units would be valid but we don't so we need to stick with units of energy/volume. So ethanol is 76330 btu/gal and gasoline is 116090 ⁶and the ratio is 65.8%.

I do fully agree about avoiding using E10 in carbureted engines, especially small ones. If you have to, and in many places you do, then it's best to have a fuel cutoff valve and run the engine till it shuts off from lack of fuel before storage, which will (mostly) clear the carb.

I'm not a big fan of E10 personally, especially because it screwed me up in the past for mogas aircraft use. 100LL avgas is extremely expensive and has lead in it which causes lots of other issues. E10 is harmful to expensive aircraft fuel system components. But E10 is better environmentally than the MBTE it replaced.

As for it otherwise being food, that in itself doesn't bother me. Only a small fraction of corn produced in the US is consumed by humans, and that is mostly in the form of high fructose corn syrup, not really the best stuff for you.

The fact that corn ethanol's energy balance (output energy/input energy) is so bad does bother me. There are much better biofuel feedstocks.
Brazil, for example, which uses mostly sugarcane based ethanol, is much more efficient at ethanol production.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:26am
LOL! Makes no difference how you buy a fuel, it burns based on weight/mass/mole.

You cannot also, honestly, expect a government agency with a vested interest in enforcing its edicts to publish accurate data. I spent most of my life in environmental engineering, reading the slanted, or "spun" research. It is done by selectively omitting data points so the conclusion reached is the conclusion desired. It was thus for over 30 years.

So, yes, I also, typically get 10% worse mileage on E10. Now, one tank might calculate 8%, but the pumps all say "up to 10% ethanol". I'm told the ethanol is dropped into the tanker just before it leaves the terminal, a bit like an afterthought. Not an accuracy laden process.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 11:47am
I found that most of my carb issues stopped when i started using Sta-Bil in my E10 gasoline.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Colt

LOL! Makes no difference how you buy a fuel, it burns based on weight/mass/mole.

You cannot also, honestly, expect a government agency with a vested interest in enforcing its edicts to publish accurate data. I spent most of my life in environmental engineering, reading the slanted, or "spun" research. It is done by selectively omitting data points so the conclusion reached is the conclusion desired. It was thus for over 30 years.

So, yes, I also, typically get 10% worse mileage on E10. Now, one tank might calculate 8%, but the pumps all say "up to 10% ethanol". I'm told the ethanol is dropped into the tanker just before it leaves the terminal, a bit like an afterthought. Not an accuracy laden process.

10% worse by weight or by volume?

Any engineer or scientist knows you have to get your units right to start with. Either mass or volume can work but you cannot switch back and forth in the middle of a calculation. If you want to do it in energy content per unit mass then stick with that for both fuels and for the mixture, then convert back to volume at the end because we don't buy fuel by the pound.

As for "spun" research, there seems to be a need these days to believe in all sorts of conspiracies. All the government agencies, auto manufacturer tech staff, university automotive engineering departments are all wrong and something I read from some guy on Facebook is right. That includes many other countries where ethanol is added to fuel as well. Sure, and there are children captive in the basement of Comet Pizza too.

There is no way a casual user can resolve the difference between 10% and 3-4% (about 6%-7% delta) in fuel consumption in their day to day driving. Way too many uncontrolled variables to resolve a small difference like that. I know, I've had to try to evaluate small efficiency differences like before and it's not easy.

So when someone can present statistically controlled peer reviewed data demonstrating that then I'll listen otherwise it's just anechdotal statements.

And yes I do expect my government and science and engineering community to publish accurate data and I do not expect some random guy on Facebook or YouTube to.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Shane View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 2:51pm
I found a 4650 watt inverter generator by Champion with remote start and it works perfectly.  It will run everything I need, including the a/c.  I have a hard time finding ethanol free gas in my area ( Northern Illinois ) so  add seafoam to all my fuels, and i do use the premium blend in my unit.  Thank you all for all the iformation!
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 7:33pm
I know this has probably been beat to death but I am looking at a Firman 2900/3200 generator invertor.  It seems like this would run the AC on my 189.  It is listed at $699 seems pretty reasonable.  A little heavy at 94 lbs but if it runs my AC I'd be happy
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:41pm
It will probably start the a/c without an Easystart. Might be close though if it's overload protection circuit is fussy. If it won't start it then you can return it or put in an Easystart.

Your back might not survive though. Your alternative is an Easystart and a sub 50 lb 1-ish kw generator. The Easystart is well worth not having to have back surgery IMHO.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Casey179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Casey179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:45am
I purchased a used honda on e-bay from a pawn shop gently used for 600.00   works great very quiet 
Casey179
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:43am
Since I converted my two Honda EU2000i generators to propane operation, I'll probably have to use both of them in parallel to run the AC even with an EasyStart now unless I want to mess with gasoline again (which I don't). I wanted to get away from gasoline due to the mess and smell. Propane tanks are clean enough that they can ride in the passenger compartment of my SUV.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 1:38pm
I have someone local that has a Craftsman that was 3000/3400 watt that was used.  New was 899 he wanted $800 or best offer said it was only used once?......the Firman is $699 new with warranty.  Seems less risky to me if it will run the AC.  Several reviews indicated people were running RV ACs with it and no issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>