R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

GENERATORS???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GENERATORS???
    Posted: 15 May 2021 at 7:32am
Thanks Stephen, I stand corrected...not all premium fuels are ethanol free, even if we wish they were!

:-)

Suffice to say,imho, what ever fuel you use in your seasonal/low use engines, put the best fuel in it you can get in your area and stabilize it.

I always add good quality fuel stabilizer and enough to last 2 years. I use Stabil, Seafoam or Phaseguard to help ensure less chance of the fuel going bad. To further guard against carb issues I also turn off the petcock (where available, and every genny I have had had a fuel shutoff) and run 4 stroke motors until the carb is emptied of fuel. 2 stroke motors like chainsaws please don't run them out of fuel as they need the oil for lubrication. I used to mix my own but for years now I use the engineered premixed fuel. It is good for at least 2 years and I haven't regretted it.

Once the motor has burned all the fuel available and stalls out, I then pull the start cord until firm resistance is felt...this rotates the motor until it reaches its compression stroke which means both intake and exhaust valves are closed. This seals the motor from air/moisture getting in which could lead to corrosion/damage in the motor over time.
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:53am
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

Here is a link that many may be interested in for finding ethanol free fuel, at least in Canada and the USA.

Seems I just lucked out in my choice of fuel stations in our little town where I fill up my gas cans.
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
chasl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chasl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:34am
I purchased a Champion 3100W generator some years ago. It's working well, and runs everything (not at the same time) in my RPOD including the air conditioner. 

It's pretty quiet for 3000 plus watts, and the one they make now which replaced this model is dual fuel. I've not used one of those, but it's output is 3400 Watts peak, and claims to run fairly quiet.

I've heard the Honda generator is the best for reliability and noise, but they do cost considerably more than other brands.
cl
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:48am
I have a Honda 2200. It was "on sale" at CW for $995 including a vinyl cover. I converted it to propane and added a MicroAire Easy Start to the AC. The Honda powers the AC fine. I can't run M/W and AC at the same time, but everything else is available  with the 2200.  It is quieter than most generators, starts every time and has been mechanically sound. It is light enough that my wife or I can carry it.
I view it as a long term purchase and happy I spent the extra money to get the quality I wanted.  If it were stolen or I needed a generator, I would buy another one just like it.  I have no hesitation recommending it.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:12am
You can run your a/c from a Honda 2.2k if you install an Easystart on your a/c to reduce startup load. That would give you a small lightweight, high quality generator for about $1k. The Easystart costs about $300 but is well worth it.

Also consider a propane conversion, much cleaner and easier than carrying around gasoline. You already have propane on your trailer.

As for noise, the inverter generators are quiet when at low power demand because the inverter allows them to run at low rpm. But none of them are quiet when heavily loaded, including the Hondas.

There are numerous studies on the energy balance of corn ethanol, and although the majority conclude that it has a positive energy balance, its certainly not great. Ethanol's main benefit is as an oxygenating agent so it improves air quality. But it's bad for small engines for sure, especially one that sit around unused for long periods.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:18am
I had a discussion with a retired Honda generator tech. He droned on and on about how much better a Honda was than everything else. I've had 4 Honda Motorcycles, 1 Car and now a Honda powered lawn mower.

Honda generators may well be better. I don't need a Rolls-Royce to drive to work. And I sure don't want to pay for one.

My Ducati has been as reliable and trouble free as the best of my Hondas. My Kawasakis have been perfect! The Honda engine on my mower is great if you can start it without WD-40 (no ethanol, always stabilizer treated fuel). The Accord was the most expensive car to maintain I've ever had and needed a new tranny at 98k miles. I'm not anti-Honda, but they are not sliced bread.

OP, you sound like you want an inverter generator for the noise. I have a Powerboss 3500/4350 synchronous generator that starts my A/C with barely a change in sound. I think you should be looking at a generator with a surge capacity in the 3500 watt class, to keep weight and cost down. Look at Briggs inverters; I think they have one in the right size.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
fwunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:44pm
If you can figure out a way to get here in NJ, I'll sell you my lightly used and well maintained 2400 Watt Yamaha EF2400iSHC for less than $1000.00. I'll even thrown in the Yamaha cover. I'm getting old and it's a little too heavy for me. Just not using it much anymore.

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:58pm
Lots of good, pertinent info has been shared as to various price points/manufacturers, sizes, AC mods (EasyStart), fuel types (propane and ethanol free/treated fuel), engine sizes/electrical output depending on the OP's needs. We all agree that an inverter generator is the way to preferred way to go for noise and providing clean power (all your electronic devices will thank you by lasting longer and not letting the smoke out...but that is a different story!)

Now I wait for any other questions or concerns to be posted or maybe even an update once all this info has been digested!

It is actually a good reference to anyone just learning about generators and fuel as well. Maybe it should be marked as a reference thread? Just a thought and that could make it easier to find in the future. :-)
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:34pm
Hmm, I think there is another thing to consider in regards to noise and inverter generators. This is the amount a generator has to power (rev) up to be able to provide the needed power. My 2000 watt Champion would have to go to max speed whenever a heavier load was demanded. This makes quite a bit more noise to achieve the same result as compared to when I use my 3300 (surge) watt Firman.

The Firmman is larger and heavier but barely comes over its idle speed when I load it up. They are both very quiet but the larger genny is quieter when under load as it doesn't have to work as hard... so for my uses, it is much quieter which is good for me and even better, considerate of anyone around us.

My Firman is so capable I use it in power outages at our home...I plug in the sump pump (a very active device where I live, all year 'round), 10 cubic feet freezer, full size fridge and freezer simultaneously and the genny quietly purrs away with the little burps of extra noise when the loads cycle on and off. (Just make sure to replace the spark plug before using it with a good quality one! Throw away the stock plug as it is/was junk...mine was cracked from factory)

Just another note keeping in mind I have a truck with a cap, so more room to store it when travelling and I don't mind having my gas cans in the back as well. Many different considerations need to be taken into account to make the right choice and everyone is different in their needs.
Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
Masternav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Masternav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by StephenH

The dirty secret about ethanol is that it has less energy per gallon than gasoline. When 10% is added to gasoline, the mileage one gets from that adulterated gasoline is about 10% less than if gasoline without ethanol were used. Not to mention that something that is a food stock is then diverted into making ethanol. I'm not sure about the numbers, but it takes much more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than it does to produce a gallon of gasoline. The link below has some numbers, but  that is only one side of the picture. The second link has pros and cons of ethanol.

Your point is valid, but your math is off significantly.  Ethanol produces 70% of the energy of gas, so if gasoline has 10% ethanol content, then it will produce 3% less energy than pure gasoline, not 10% less as you stated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>