R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

GENERATORS???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GENERATORS???
    Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 4:25pm
I'm not sure if you realize, but a generator 30 amp plug, is not the same as an R.V. 30 amp plug. So you will not be able to plug directly into it. You'll need an adaptor. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 6:08pm
Yes I know when I get it in I will see what I need to get it to work.

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:51pm
Well the gen set had the proper plug in for the 30 amp cord so no adaptor was needed.  I was able to get the AC to start up 3 times with no issues.  One question do you need to take a spike and connect it to the gen set ground mine has a connection that says to externally ground.  Reason I ask is when I connected my surge protector I didn't get a blue light that would indicate it was grounded?  I will try to post some pics when I get a chance but is seems like this is going to work.  As with others it is pretty quiet on eco but louder when off and running the AC.....but 60 lbs and I got it for $460.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:56pm
Most, if not all, generators of this type have what is called a "floating ground." Even if you drive a ground rod, you may have this. What you need is a Bonding Plug. You can purchase them, or if you want, you can easily make one.

Parts needed:  One male grounding plug such as this one from Lowe's or Home Depot:

Short length of AWG10 or 12 wire, 10 preferred.

Sealant for hole if desired

Directions:

Open the plug.
Identify the terminals. Brass color is the hot wire, silver the neutral wire, and green is the ground wire connection.
Cut a short length (as in a couple of inches) of wire. Strip enough off of the ends to connect to the terminals.
Connect one end to the neutral (silver) terminal.
Bend and connect the other end to the ground (green) terminal.
Close the plug. Add sealant to the open hole to seal it up if desired (I did).
When the sealant is cured, it is ready to use.

How to use:  Plug this bonding plug into one of the 15A outlets. You will no longer have a floating neutral and your surge protector will be happy.

Why does this work? When you connect to a shore power connection, the neutral and ground are bonded at the breaker panel. When you plug into your generator, they are not bonded. The bonding plug does this so your power source is recognized by your surge protector to be set up properly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:23pm
And this will fix the ground on the 30amp plug as well?  Does this actually accomplish anything safety wise or will it just satisfy my surge protector?
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:35pm
You should still drive a ground rod for safety. This just addresses the floating ground.

It will also bond for the 30A plug. Simple surge protectors will only show a fault. Some of the fancier ones will not allow power to turn on if it senses this fault. That is the reason for the bonding plug. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:03pm
I will probably not use the surge suppressor when I am running the generator but mine just showed a fault in the ground.  Not sure if the surge suppressor is necessary with the gen set.  Good news is it seemed to start the AC without a stumble or anything that I noticed.  

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:29pm
Here is a pic of the generator.  I am not endorsing this as I just got it and can only say it is lightweight and it was able to start my AC.  This is the actual company that built the generator's site:
This is their various generator invertors:  Quiet Inverter Generator (cqdinking.com)
Whoever imports it has them put the Genmax name on it.  The price went up to $549.  I got coupon for 50 off and it was 499 so I paid 460 total

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 4:04pm
You do not need to drive a ground rid for a little portable generator. The trailer chassis acts as the ground plane, and with the bonding plug your gfcis will function properly. In fact, if you did add a ground rod, you would be invoking Code requirements for that, which are pretty strict nowadays, 8 ft rod and max ground resistance requirements etc.

Glad the generator starts the a/c for you. Sounds like a keeper. The worst case scenario will be a restart on a hot day, you might need to wait till next summer now for those conditions. If it's ever an issue just install an Easystart.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ricktoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:30pm
In case anyone is interested Costco has the Firman 3200 watt duel fuel inverter generator on sale for $200 off. It cost me $699 delivered. Will let you know how it works out with our R-pod 196.
Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>