R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

GENERATORS???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GENERATORS???
    Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:17pm
The engine doesn't have a chance to throttle up during compressor startup, it happens too fast. So you are dependent on energy stored in the flywheel and on the generator inverter section being able to handle the high start currents. The Chinese inverter generators tend to use lower spec FETs and protect them by having their protection circuits cut out earlier than say Honda which uses better transistors with more headroom. So we'll see...

Either way, an Easystart will solve the problem, if it was me Id install one anyway just to keep the currents down and have everything run smoothly. They work great and are well worth the price IMHO.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:25pm
You may be right I was making my guess on the fact that it has 145 cc engine most of the 2000 watts have 80 cc.  The Craftsman 3300 has 149 cc and it weighs 60 lbs and I have talked to several folks that were able to run their AC with it.  I could be wrong like I said calculated risk. Also it does have a 30 amp recepticle.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:08pm
Here's my guess: it will run but might not reliably start the a/c. IOW, if you also get an Easystart you will be OK. I'm basing that guess on the light weight. It takes rotating mass, as in a heavy flywheel, to start a compressor motor, or it takes a soft start system. Just a guess, I could be wrong. But my point is that if it doesn't start the a/c you don't necessarily need to return it.p
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:10pm
Okay. I will be looking forward to reading the results of your testing.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 5:58pm
I am taking what i consider to be a real calculated risk.  I ordered a gen set from Amazon that is returnable (calculated risk).  It is 3300 starting and 2800 running watt and has a 30 amp plug.  I won't say what brand or anything yet, just that it is a Chinese build but from what I have seen most of them are built in China.  Weighs 52 lbs and has a 145 cc OHV engine.  I am going to try it out as soon as I get it and see if it will run my AC.  I know from experience a lot of these type of units are purchased by importers that put whatever name they decide on them.  It could be a gigantic mistake but I can send it back if it doesn't work.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Since I converted my two Honda EU2000i generators to propane operation, I'll probably have to use both of them in parallel to run the AC even with an EasyStart now unless I want to mess with gasoline again (which I don't). I wanted to get away from gasoline due to the mess and smell. Propane tanks are clean enough that they can ride in the passenger compartment of my SUV.

I could start my a/c with Easystart just fine on my one Honda EU2000i with propane conversion. Where I would anticipate problems is running it after startup at high altitudes in hot conditions. You're starting to get close to maximum engine output. I never tried at over about 3500 ft elevation or so. Mixture readjustment with altitude definitely helped as well, not sure it that can be done on all conversion kits. It was easy to do on my Century Fuels one.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 1:38pm
I have someone local that has a Craftsman that was 3000/3400 watt that was used.  New was 899 he wanted $800 or best offer said it was only used once?......the Firman is $699 new with warranty.  Seems less risky to me if it will run the AC.  Several reviews indicated people were running RV ACs with it and no issues.
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:43am
Since I converted my two Honda EU2000i generators to propane operation, I'll probably have to use both of them in parallel to run the AC even with an EasyStart now unless I want to mess with gasoline again (which I don't). I wanted to get away from gasoline due to the mess and smell. Propane tanks are clean enough that they can ride in the passenger compartment of my SUV.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Casey179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Casey179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:45am
I purchased a used honda on e-bay from a pawn shop gently used for 600.00   works great very quiet 
Casey179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:41pm
It will probably start the a/c without an Easystart. Might be close though if it's overload protection circuit is fussy. If it won't start it then you can return it or put in an Easystart.

Your back might not survive though. Your alternative is an Easystart and a sub 50 lb 1-ish kw generator. The Easystart is well worth not having to have back surgery IMHO.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>