R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire Replacement - Event Date: 05 Apr 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire Replacement
    Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:59am
Hi folks. Tires on my 179 are worn and needing replacements. Just curious if most buy the tires somewhere and replace themselves or is it best to take it in so they can be balanced etc.?  I have a good enough jack to do myself but I was unsure about the balancing aspect and/or anything else the shop would do that I might not think of.  Appreciate any thoughts.
MP2112
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:14am
Some people order tires and have them installed at a local shop. Others buy tires locally. Personally, I use the same tire/auto mechanic shop that services my other vehicles. they ordered Goodyear Endurance tires, balanced and installed them and I am happy.
I think it is important to balance the tires on any high speed trailer.
I also think tires are vital on a single axle. I have had various cheaper tires, Maxxiis and finally the Goodyears.  There is no question in my experience that the Goodyear tire is the stiffest, smoothest running tire that I have used.   It stays inflated without losing air between trips, has adequate tread, a D load rating and has served me well. Other pod owners have had success with other brands, particularly Carlisle.
Find out what is available locally and develop a relationship with a local dealer.
Good luck-safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:25am
I purchased pre mounted 15 inch tires and wheels Eastern Marine and installed them at home. The savings in cost of mounting nearly paid for the larger wheels and I sold my old wheels and tires on CL and was ahead. No one wants old dismounted tires but there is a market for mounted ones.

The tires are Loadstar LRD's and both tires and wheels have 2500 lb ratings. Yes wheels are also load rated, and you are only as good as your lowest spec. I think the problems folks have had with Chinese tires are largely due to underspec'd OEM tires rather than brands.

The 15 inch 2500 lb rated tires made a huge difference. You do need a lift kit for fender clearance with the larger wheels, if you don't already have one.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colonel Podder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colonel Podder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:46am
I had my local tire dealer install and balance mine. I went with the GY Endurance tires as well. I pulled the wheels off in the driveway and carried them in for the tire replacement. Didn't want to mess with towing and finding a place to park, plus I'm not sure I want them jacking up my camper. 
2021 R-pod 196
MikeP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MikeP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:43pm
Appreciate the comments. Decided to pull them off and take them up to the local tire dude.  Cheers!
MP2112
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote riotkayak284 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:33pm
Did the same.... and great tires, well worth the money... POD tows so much better with the Endurance tires.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:58am
We replaced our OEM Westlake tires with Carlisles.  The Westlakes did not last and had a rolling loss of air issue. I tried to get Goodyear Endurance, but there was a problem finding any for a normal price.  I had the tires mounted and balanced on the existing rims by the shop where we take or car and truck for service and the valve stems replaced.  I put them on the trailer myself.  Now, they hold their pressure while traveling and I am hopeful of putting many on miles on them.  I guess we'll find out when we drag our trailer across the continent for the second time this year when we relocate to CT.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:16am
Originally posted by cyrus799

If you want to increase tire life, read this post.

I didn't see anything in the article about how to increase tire life, just about when to replace them.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by lostagain

We replaced our OEM Westlake tires with Carlisles.  The Westlakes did not last and had a rolling loss of air issue. I tried to get Goodyear Endurance, but there was a problem finding any for a normal price.  I had the tires mounted and balanced on the existing rims by the shop where we take or car and truck for service and the valve stems replaced.  I put them on the trailer myself.  Now, they hold their pressure while traveling and I am hopeful of putting many on miles on them.  I guess we'll find out when we drag our trailer across the continent for the second time this year when we relocate to CT.  

CT? From NV? Just in time for winter. Hmmm....

Well, having just spent the summer in HI I'm heading back to VA also just in time for winter. Sometimes life gets in the way of travelling the right directions with the seasons.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:25pm
We have no rain in NV and no prospect for the coming winter according to the el Niño/la Niña gurus.  The smoke from the Sierra Nevada mountains burning up is just too much and you can't camp because everything is closed due to drought conditions.  There are some other reasons too, but I can't mention them on this board.  Northern NV winters are cold too and we're moving to a coastal town where it's not quite as cold.  Really, not much different than winter where we are now and a whole lot more precipitation and green.  We're looking forward to exploring New England and the Canadian maritime provinces.  Not as many public camp grounds, but plenty of places to visit.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>