R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire Replacement - Event Date: 05 Apr 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire Replacement
    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:59pm
I understand completely. We left the Outer Banks for similar reasons. The East away from the coastal hurricane zones is doing better with climate issues than much of the West at this point. Hopefully you won't go from fires to hurricanes....We'll see what comes in the years ahead.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:05pm
At least we'll be well above the worst possible tidal surge zone, even though we're only about a half a mile from the Coast Guard Academy.  But hurricanes will still be an issue due to the wind.  Since we are on the same electric grid as the CG, our outages will generally be short since they get priority.

In coming years, there will be many more climate refugees relocating from the western states.  They'll need good tires on their trailers for all the driving, looking to find a place with water, but not under water.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:58am
Water required but not too much. I like that....Lots of Westerners relocating to East Hawaii too. Rains almost every night. If it doesn't its a drought. Need good tires for the mud and potholes.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 1:19pm
Looking for GY Endurance tires for my Rpod.  Out of stock around the country.  Called GY customer support who said that manufacturing for those tires is on hold until further notice. Could not tell me if that means the Endurance will not be manufactured any more or if it does start again just when that might be.  Not much help to me so I guess I need an alternative.  Given that the Endurance seems to be the most popular tire in this forum, what is your second choice?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:54pm
it's more important to get tires with load ratings well over minimum requirents than tk get a particular brand. The OEM tires are marginal at best because FR saves every penny. I recommend getting tires with a load rating at least 25% higher than 1/2 the axle rating. I run Chinese tires and have been very happy with them.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:10am
Yes makes perfect sense.  They what US made tires might meet that criteria?  The Endurance are load range E.
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpod-Couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:04am
My 2021 R-pod 171 has Castle Rock ST225/75R15’s Load range D rated 2540 lbs per tire with a 75 mph speed rating. More than adequate load and speed rating for my use. Have 2000 miles on it since we purchased it in January. Have been watching them closely given the comments on the internet. 

I have had several vehicle tire surprises over the years - 5 year old Michelin LT tires dry rotted - thankfully died while parked and not at speed. Another vehicle at the 7 year mark had two TPS valve stem sensors fail on tires that were a year old. The TPS sensors failed two weeks a part. Both times caused sudden tire deflation at 65 mph. I immediately replaced the remaining TPS sensors after the second failed. Lesson learned - replace TPS sensors when replacing tires. 

At last outing, neighbor pulled in with his late model F250 with rear fender all damaged. Tire exploded on the highway on his way to the campground. Didn’t think to ask what tire brand.

Not sure what is a “good” tire any more. I agree with having extra speed and weight margin on the tire. And seriously consider changing tires around the 5 year mark due to age. I am a believer in doing a visual tire inspection before heading out with my TT no matter what brand of tires.
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Welchsoft

Yes makes perfect sense.  They what US made tires might meet that criteria?  The Endurance are load range E.

The letter ratings don't tell you how much weight the tire will actually carry. 14 inch and 15 inch tires can both have the same load rating but carry different loads for example. The manufacturer should provide a load table for that.

It's possible to have too high a
load rating too, which results in
an overly stiff ride which can shake your trailer to pieces. I wouldn't go above around 150% of axle rating for the two tires combined. So that's gives you a range of 125% to 150% or so to pick from.

Proper inflation is also key. ST tires have thick stiff sidewalls which won't reject heat well if they are underinflated and flex too much. There is no good reason not to inflate ST tires to their rated pressure (cold) and keep them there. Get a TPS or check them during the day. I use an IR thermometer and check the tire temps at every fuel stop. Only takes a few seconds, and I can look for overheated bearings and brakes too.

As for US made tires with the right load ratings, all of the mfgs should have a load table available you can look at.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:00am
My axle rating is 4400 pounds and the dry weight (measured when it came off the manufacturing floor) is 3594 pounds.  I've been searching like crazy and haven't found any one tire that owners have put many miles on and can recommend other than the GY Endurance.  I'm just kind of tired of searching and want to get the Castle Rocks off before I travel cross country.  Suggestions?
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:12am
I had Carlisle Radial HD load range "D" installed and speed balanced on my 177 this spring.  First time going to a D rated (had C on my two previous sets with no problems) and have noticed a huge difference in towing as well as minimal bounce and tire flex over rough and gravel roads.  Very pleased with them thus far.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>