R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire Replacement - Event Date: 05 Apr 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dagnome View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dagnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire Replacement
    Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:48pm
Great suggestions, thanks!  And yes, I am talking trailer tires ST 205's
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 11:02am
An F load rating is not necessarily better. You can have too stiff a ride if the tire load rating is too high, resulting excessive shaking for the trailer and contents.

Look at the actual load rating chart in lbs for the tires you're considering. You want tires that have a higher rating than the axle does so the tires aren't the first thing that fails, so look for ones around 125% of half your axle rating.

I wouldn't go higher than 150%, no need and the ride will be getting very stiff. So for example if your axle is rated at 3500 lbs then look for tires with a load rating of 1.25 x 3500/2 or 2187lbs up to 1.5 x 3500/2 or 2625 lbs.

Don't know your axle rating? It's going to be the trailer dry weight + max cargo weight - tongue weight Typically 3500 lbs on the narrow body rpods and 4400 lbs on the wide bodies.

Also, keep your ST trailer tires inflated to the rated pressure cold. Underinflated ST tires tend to overheat due to flexing of the thick sidewalls.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:21am
Just make sure it's a tire designed for trailers. The construction is a little different to support the unique forces on trailer tires. I ran D load rated Carlisle Trail HD tires on my 179 and would have no qualms about running Carlisles on my 196 when the time comes.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
dagnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dagnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:00am
Will be replacing tires (205-75x14) shortly.  I'm quite fond of the Cooper's on my car and am pretty sure they make a tire to fit my Pod. What I'm curious about is if a "D" rating being good, would an "F" rated tire be better for my 179.  Was also curious if anyone was running the Green Ball tire from Costco, hard to find out where it's made.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:44pm
LA, please reread my post. As I have said repeatedly, I agree there is not much data available on trailer tires. That's exactly why I dont spend money on expensive brand name tires. I'm not spending more money than I have to without some kind of hard data justifying that.

I do not trust the corporate decision makers to do anything other than maximize next quarters profits, so I do not rely on brand reputation. I have taken an advanced marketing course in brand management at a top ranked B school so I know a bit about how corporate brand management works. It's all about widening the gap between perceived value and tangible value, thereby maximizing profits at the customers expense.

I look at it this way: if I buy expensive stuff Im either putting money in the pocket of a company that is justifying that high price based on their brand with no real quality difference or I am buying more value at a higher price. Without independent data I don't know which. If I buy an inexpensive product I am either getting a low quality product at a low price or a good quality product at a low price, again I don't know which.

Most folks myself included, would rank those scenarios in this order of preference:

low price high quality (inexpensive brand)
high price high quality (expensive brand)
low price low quality (inexpensive brand)
high price low quality (expensive brand).

On average, lacking hard data, the inexpensive brand ranks higher more often. So lacking data I buy on price. Works for me, if you choose to do otherwise that's fine too. And no I don't think I'm goƱna die because I'm rolling on Chinese brand tires I think we're beating the proverbial dead horse on this topic, again.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:36am
OG, the Carlisle tires I just put on my trailer last June, replacing the crappy Westlakes, are made in China.  It isn't the country of origin that matters, it's the quality of the product.  

No one is suggesting that you should brand names.  Indeed, do what you like.  My point is that there isn't a lot of information about specifications or reliability data available for tire purchases, as you try to suggest.  Internet product reviews are not trustworthy and are often paid for by product promoters or disparagers.  It is not irrational to rely on the "reputation" of tire companies and personal experience, as you seem to imply.  I have learned the hard way with "off brand" tires that they don't last as long as the major tire companies.  I don't like to waste my money either.

Knockoffs are a big problem in consumer products.  They appear to be identical to the brand they are copying.  But, when you take them apart and examine the components, they turn out to be cheap imitations that are poorly made with inferior components.  And when something goes wrong with these knockoffs and you get hurt using them, best of luck to you in finding who will be responsible, especially if you bought through the internet.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 7:57am
Interesting thread in regard to tires.  A year ago I decided to purchase and run with snow tires year round on my pick up.  The reason was because a neighbor of mine, who is heavily involved with the local car club, showed me that it only made sense (at least to him) to use them year round as he had 40,000 miles on his and they still looked great and the most important being that they handled well, even during the warmer, summer months.  So here I am, 13,000 miles on mine, they handle great and of course with that few a miles on them, tread still looks like new.  The tire?  Michelin Latitude X-Ice.  No, I am not their rep. or sell tires either.  BTW, checked with my neighbor friend and he now has 48,000 miles on his and they still have a lot of life left on them.  His tires are mounted on a 1999 Lexus if you wished to know.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:33am
I never said I had access to any of the tire information you are asking for, therefore lacking specific information I don't buy expensive tires from companies relying on brand advertising.

I have had good service from the tires I do buy as have many others, if the tires are spec's adequately for the application. It is my view that the majority of problems folks have had with trailer tires are with underspec'd OEM tires put on there by the trailer manufacturer to save as much money as possible. They use Chinese tires for the same reason, so the failures are correlated with use of non-brand name tires. That doesn't make the country of origin/brand causal. There is no reason to believe that underspec'd name brand tires wouldn't also fail, that is after all why the manufacturers provide specs in the first place.

So while it is is very easy to blame these issues on the tire brand the reality is that it more likely it is the trailer manufacturer's fault for using underspec'd tires.At least there is hard evidence (the specs themselves) for that view.

There was night and day difference between the 14 inch LRCs that came with my trailer and the 15 inch LRD's I replaced them with. I got some extra ground clearance too.
Both were Chinese brands. For the cost differential between the tires I bought and name brand tires I more than paid for the 15 inch wheels I needed to make the change. They came premounted so no need to pay for that, just bolt em on.

I think my choice was safer and more cost effective than if I had stayed with the underspec'd 14 inch OEM wheels (wheels have load ratings too) and bought marginally specd brand name brand 14 inch LRCs as direct replacements. But we can't actually know, that requires multiple trials and statistical analysis that isn't going to happen.

I have gotten good service (home handyman use not professional) out of most everything I've bought from Harbor Freight, the use twice and throw away argument goes completely against my experience.

So you do what you want, I'll do what I want, and let's assume that folks asking for information on this forum are astute enough to decide for themselves. Most folks buying habits are well ingrained anyhow,
if they shop by brand when buying one product they are likely to do so with others, as you apparently do, and vice versa, as I do.   Let's not have this same debate ad infinitum, it's going nowhere.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Welchsoft View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Welchsoft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:32am
I've run Micheline LT tires on my vehicles of all types for 30 years.  Only one problem with dry rot and Micheline provided almost 100% of the value back to me.  I whish this could just be a no-brainer and buy Micheline's but realize that they don't make ST tires, although I understand that if you purchase a new Airstream and want a tire upgrade, they put on Micheline's.  So I think I'm at the point where I'll combine that importance of the load range and a brand that has a good, and long reputation for good trailer tires and go with Carlisle.  Thank you for all of the great information.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:08pm
So, how do you determine the manufacturing specs for any given tire?  Do you have access to the manufactures' design and fabrication specifications?  Usually, those are trade secrets and obtaining them is complicated.  All that's printed on the tire is the DOT info and with trailer tires, there isn't even a tread wear rating or heat rating.  How do you determine which tire has the best rubber compounding?  Show us some reliability statistics for travel trailer tires?  Where can we find them?  As for customer reviews, though that provides some nice anecdotal opinions of some, it is not a reliable source of information.  How many reviews are bogus or paid for by the manufacturer or competitors looking to bad mouth someone else's product?  "Customer reviews" are notoriously unreliable, especially in the days of the internet.  

As for tires, there are good ones and bad ones.  And the consequences of buying bad ones can be fatal.  Though, as I said above, brands are no guarantee of quality, the odds are in your favor of getting a better quality product from well establish brands that have many years in the business.  Certainly, in some businesses quarterly profits trump quality, but tire companies  such as Goodyear, Goodrich, Michelin, etc. that have been around for many years with pretty good products are not as likely to go the quick profit route as we have seen in other industries.  The reputational damage is just too big a risk.  

Buy what you like, but don't complain when it works out badly.  When I go to Harbor Freight, I don't expect quality, I expect a couple of uses for a throw away product.  When I want a good miter saw, I'll get a DeWalt, not a Bauer from HF.  The brand doesn't matter but the quality sure does.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>