R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRelocating Spare Tire & Storage Trunk Carrier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relocating Spare Tire & Storage Trunk Carrier
    Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 4:29pm
Dang. I hope you have good insurance.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 4:56pm
WOW!

Weigh the original spare and tire mount.  Measure the horizontal distance from the pin hole in the original hitch to the center of the tire.  Multiply that by the weight of the tire/mount assembly.  Then, divide that by the horizontal distance from the pin hole to the center of your hitch basket.  THAT is the safe weight limit of the hitch for a load in the basket.  I doubt it be as high as the weight of the basket alone.  That huge lever arm the basket has against the OEM hitch is like adding a pipe to a wrench to loosen a bolt.  Plus, a bouncing load can easily add 2x the force of a static load. 

That long lever arm is why the frame WILL bend at the axle if you do that often enough.  The stress flows in the frame to the axle where it is transferred to the ground.  The max bending stress is at the axle; that cheater bar thing again. 

Put your storage box inside the trailer over the axle.  Do not exceed the Gross Weight limit of the trailer or axle. 

I know this sounds harsh.  I hope it is about as harsh as the bouncing generators and gas cans will be when it lets go on the interstate.  This is not 1970s design engineering (there is no excess capacity).  With computers, that frame can be sized to within a very few percent of design loads.  You can be sure FR did so to get the trailer weight so low. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:04pm
There are no mandatory design limits for the structural forces over the road vehicles are required to withstand. I've looked. Best I've seen are recommendations for heavy trucks that they should be able to at withstand forces in the range of 2.75 to 3 g's. Light vehicles like cars and pickups are tossed around more so have to be higher. The actual design limits used are company proprietary.

In contrast, I've run the numbers on the rpod frame and it's under 2g's at the axle. You can get light and cheap, or you can get strong and heavy, or you could probably design something fancy like a unibody trailer box and get strong and light, but it wouldn't be cheap. But you can't get all three. Rpods are light and cheap, don't for a moment assume they are strong. They aren't.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 6:20pm
Light  --  Cheap  --  Strong

Choose only two of the three. There is no alternative.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 12:45pm
aimsghali, this isn't an ego thing, its a safety thing. It is a safe bet you NEED to listen to the good advice and reasons behind it posted by the experienced members of this forum. I am not new to towing, but don't have near the experience of those who have cautioned you, and I can see nothing but trouble from your set up. Best of luck.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12