Topic ClosedRound trip Charleston to west coast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round trip Charleston to west coast
    Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:22pm
We are wrapping up our trip to Yosemite, Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Yellowstone, and Wind Cave National Parks as well as Rushmore. Fabulous. I highly recommend the timeframe of this trip. There was space everywhere except Yosemite and the weather was still great. Many of the state parks were deserted. Tonight on the way back we are at Graham Cave state park in Missouri and this beautiful park has 4 sites occupied so we have hot showers, 30 amps, laundry, etc pretty much all to ourselves and it has been pretty much that way. 3 miles from here there are two RV parks with quite a few RVs paying 30 bucks to be essentially be in a parking lot. Go figure.

State parks have it together by and large don't they?
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:28am
Its too bad so many of them don't have camp stores, full hookups and scooter rentals.  And all those trees need to go, all that leaf litter.

KIDDING!

When we start planning our big tour I'm going to take your lead and go for as many state parks as possible, with the occasional Wal-Mart to keep it cheaper.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 12:37pm
I'm getting to the point that State Parks are the only way to go!  I have enough power and water that we do not need all the hooks.  Would love to be able to head out west on a long trip but I still have a few years before I can do that.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 1:05pm
I agree with all of the above but, I do also like to support the National Parks too, when I can get in - which seems to be getting harder to do.  There are a lot of jewels in the various State Parks.  I never have liked the "commercial" campgrounds but, do swallow my pride sometimes and will stay in one overnight while traveling to get to the "good" camping.
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 2:18pm
We are heading for Wild River in Mn. for 5 days on Saturday it is a state park it will close down water and showers on the 25 so will be one of last people to get to use the indoor bath till spring. We are getting so that unless you go during week you need reservations up to a year in advance. There are so many campgrounds that have been sold off for condos and development. We need our state parks and corps of engineers, national parks also. When we were in Duluth Mn. last week there were 2 campgrounds that were sold off that were on Lake Superior and another that went seasonal only these took about 200 sites away from campers. it is very hard to make a living when you only have 6-8 weeks to make your money.
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 2:41pm
On the subject of state parks we stayed and the best one of the best of the trip last night. Twin Knobs in the Daniel Boone nat'l forest. The sites were spread out about 4 times as much as any other park we have visited. Even though the campground was nearly full, we felt like we were alone in the forest. Very good park.

The other thing that was a hit with us was the Rand McNally 2011 road atlas for $10 at Wal Mart. It is a good atlas and has a Wal Mart locator in the back.

One last thing... we got a new Tom Tom for the trip and it came with three months "live services" included. Boy was that a good move. It pulls down fuel prices and directs you to the lowest stations. You can also do a live  Google search for services in a town. I would guess that this paid for itself on the 35 day trip.
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
 Post Reply Post Reply