R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbattery full but no power?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery full but no power?
    Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 3:50pm
Most on this forum will direct you to a pair of 6v golf cart batteries that you hook up in series to get 12 volts.  If you plan on boondocking a lot off grid this is the preferred method.  A pair of 6 volt Trojans T-105 will weigh in at about 125 lbs. total. 

If your plan is camping where electric is available than all you need is a single 12v.  In my case I had a single 12v and then purchased another.  My goal was to get a pair of 6 volts when these decided to retire - but nothing doing - they still perform amazingly well for a set of 10 year old batteries.  They are 12v Interstates, group size 24, deep cycle marine batteries.  You have already read the maintenance on these above.  I usually boondock for up to 6 to 7 days at a time and the pair of 12v suit my needs very well.  The two 12v batteries weigh in at 98 lbs. total, so slightly less weight on your a-frame than the two 6 volts.

Others who want to spend the big $$$ go with lithium.  I am not well versed in those but others on here are who will let you know more about those 'goldbergs' if you are interested and have deep pockets.

Also, I camp basic, no solar or generator.  If you plan on utilizing either or both of those methods you can get by with less battery than what I currently use.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:10am
Here's a pretty good chart for State Of Charge for various batteries. There is some additional variation based on small chemistry variations in batteries. Call that bug dust, but you can ask your battery maker for voltage specific to its battery.

https://www.energymatters.com.au/components/battery-voltage-discharge/

I would go with an AGM battery for convenience and higher output, deep cycle, of course. You might ask for a trolling motor battery, or a "solar" battery.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/2019/11/pros-cons-of-agm-batteries/

It's best not to pull a battery down below 50% SOC, but a deep cycle battery will allow you to go as low as 30% with reduced, but acceptable life. Go as big as you're willing to afford (size AND amp-hrs), but remember all that weight is very close to your hitch.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:56am
There is no one best battery. Depends on how you use your pod, how you feel about maintenance,how you'll charge it and store it. Like all things in life there are tradeoffs. My recommendations are:

If you camp without hookups often and have the tow vehicle tongue weight capacity then 2 6V golf cart batteries are a good way to go. Flooded batteries you can put distilled water in are the most cost effective and tolerate charging well, but you have to check the water level every few weeks. Otherwise spend the money and get AGM batteries.Just don't overcharge them.

If you mostly camp with hookups and when camping without them don't use much power then get a single marine dual use battery, which will handle some cycling but probably have a longer lifetime for you because of chemistry differences. Flooded or AGM, same criteria as for the golf cart batteries.

If you never camp without hookups then just about any battery will do.

If you boondock and are a heavy user but can't tolerate the tongue weight then you either need to install a lithium system or move some weight rearward to counterbalance the heavy batteries on the tongue.

In all cases you will need to keep the batteries charged while in storage, but the golf cart batteries will need more frequent charging because they have a higher self discharge rate. Either disconnect the rpod from the batteries to get rid of the parasitic loads or leave them on solar or onboard charger all the time.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 4:42pm
One other factor is solar, and whether you live somewhere with lots of sun. I'm in Colorado and we have sun virtually all days, so a single deep cycle marine/rv battery is fine, since when we're  camping the solar panels are always topping up the battery (100 watt  Renogy suitcase solar charger). 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:47pm
No one is more in favor of solar than I am. I worked in that field my whole career, almost 40 years. But you cannot count on it being there any given day. That is the reality, you either need a couple of days or of batteryl storage or an alternative charging system. To run high reliability off grid smlolar systems in CO we would typicamlly have 4-6 sunless days battery storage. Our requirements aren't that critcal and can be met by just running the TV if needed and recharging from the alternator if you don't want to carry a generator around and don't need a/c.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 10:22am
I agree with that. I utilized remote solar communications sites for over a decade. My general rule of thumb for a 100% solar site was 10 days without sun. Even that was not enough at least one winter when we went almost 30 days without sun.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 10:29am
Originally posted by offgrid

No one is more in favor of solar than I am. I worked in that field my whole career, almost 40 years. But you cannot count on it being there any given day. That is the reality, you either need a couple of days or of batteryl storage or an alternative charging system. To run high reliability off grid smlolar systems in CO we would typicamlly have 4-6 sunless days battery storage. Our requirements aren't that critcal and can be met by just running the TV if needed and recharging from the alternator if you don't want to carry a generator around and don't need a/c.

This make sense, but our tolerance levels are lower  for  camping. If we go more than a few days without sun while camping out here, our next destination is home! Like you, our requirements are pretty minimal - fridge and hot water on lp, little use of furnace except a  few minutes in the am to warm things up, all lights are LED and we have a few battery lamps as well.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 11:46am
If we waited for only sunny days to camp here in the east we would never go camping.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:22pm
Offgrid, why I left NJ 40 yrs ago! 250 sunny days a year where I live.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:27pm

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>