R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbattery full but no power?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery full but no power?
    Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm
Still kind of new to this whole thing so this might be a really dumb question (and I hope one with an exceptionally easy answer!)

Control panel shows battery as 3/4 full, but none of the normal basic onboard functions are working.  (lights, radio, etc.).  Don't see any fuses/circuit breakers blown or popped.  It was sitting for a couple months, but we did plug it in to shore power and turn everything on last weekend, and then unplugged shore power, and it seemed to be working fine on the battery.  

Yesterday, we tried plugging in a solar panel to the side solar panel for the first time, wondering if that might have done something unexpected?

Or is there an idiot switch somewhere we've forgotten to flip somewhere?  Ouch
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:43pm
Sounds like a tripped bpreaker or blown fuse to me. Its possible that the solar controller got connected in reverse polarity and caused that. Check all the fuses carefully, starting with the two 40A ones. Also, if you don't already have one get a multimeter, they are invaluable in troubleshooting. You can use it to confirm where between the battery and the trailer loads you're losing voltage.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campingtrio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 2:10pm
Well we plugged in shore power again and everything started working, so I'm guessing it's not a fuse.  And then we unplugged that and re-plugged in the solar, and everything was working again that way.  Unplugged the solar and within a minute or two everything stopped working, so you'd guess it's that the battery isn't holding a charge.  But what's weird is the control panel shows the battery now full.  
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 2:36pm
How old is your battery and if you have had it awhile, how have you been maintaining it?  As offgrid wisely stated above you need a multimeter.  Then you can check the voltage of your battery.  Firstly make certain that your electrolyte levels are full or nearly full, if one of those six cells is empty, your battery is likely toast.  Fill any low cells to full using distilled water.  Next check battery voltage using your multimeter - should read at least 12.2volts at the low end.  If it reads that low you need to put it on a trickle charger (2 amp is great) for at least 24 hours.  Read it again at that point, let it set for a few hours and then read again.   Those two readings should be nearly identical if the battery is good.  Also make sure the connections at the battery are tight using a wrench, getting it finger tight doesn't cut it here.

I just re-read your original post and am thinking out loud, how long did the battery sit being connected to the pod?  There are numerous phantom draws that will deplete the battery down below acceptable levels after 10-14 days.  If you don't plan on using it within a week either disconnect the ground (-) cable or hook up a disconnect switch so you can more easily turn off battery power when not using your r-pod.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:18pm
Okay, sounds like good info.   There goes another weekend... :(  

Newb question though, what is the problem with the battery being "drained below acceptable levels" after 10-14 days?  We left our regular car battery without turning it over for about 6 weeks during COVID, and yeah, it was dead when we came out to use it, but a simple jumpstart seemed to get us back in shape and the battery seems fine now.  And we don't do any maintenance of our car battery and have had it for probably 4-5 years.   So wondering why the trailer car battery wouldn't just be fine again once we connect to shore power to charge it up?  (Someone is probably shaking their head out there with how clueless we are...remember, newbs).  

On another note, it was working fine on solar for a while today, and then we unplugged the solar and again it was working fine for a good while on battery (couple hours at least), and then we replugged the solar in to recharge it once it died...and then it started getting weird...the lights started rhythmically blinking while on battery.  So now I don't know if this thing is possessed or is that is what batteries do when they get close to end of life...

jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 6:12pm
Speaking from experience, no it is not possessed, but I experienced similar (lights rhythmically blinking) when I had hand tightened the connections at the battery.  By simply using a wrench, and I only got an additional 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn, that was rectified-problem solved.

Your auto has (and the pod doesn't) a generator so that once you are running, the battery will eventually get 100% charged.  Your pod could do the same IF you plug it into shore power and leave it plugged in allowing the online converter to charge the battery.  Your battery is probably quite low in voltage (again using that multimeter that you are going to purchase) and when you hooked up the solar the battery was slowly charging back up but when you unhooked the solar the battery (being close to low anyway) after a short while would give you the same indicators that it did previously, low or dim lights, ect.

There are many podders who leave their r-pod plugged in 24/7 when not in use and it works for them.  In my case (northern Michigan) I pull both 12v batteries out 1st week in November, check electrolyte and give each a 2 amp trickle charge for 24-36 hours, disconnect from charger, then set both on a concrete floor in our unheated garage.  They 'hibernate' there until the following end of April or first week of May (depends on weather) and the process of charging is done again before being re-installed in our 177.  These 12v Interstate group size 24 batteries are used a lot as we usually boondock, they are now 10 years old and still performing well.  One thing of many things I learned here was not to drain the battery down below 60% S.O.C. or 12.2v (using your multimeterSmile) to keep an eye on things before recharging. 

I have benefited greatly from this forum for many years.  The people on this forum are great.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 7:57pm
Car batteries can recover from being fully discharged once of twice because they are not called upon to provide much energy. All they have to dois produce some current for a few seconds.

It does sound like a either bad connection or battery at it's end of life. Either will create a high resistance which will cause the voltage to fly up and down as your solar controller attempts to regulate the amount of charging. Charge it and retest it or take we it to a shop and have them test it.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:00pm
Multimeter on order.  Now I have to figure out how to use that :)  

And next weekend's project will be to look inside the battery as described, which I've never done (in my defense it's encased in a really tight anti-theft security bracket which is a real PITA to get off...so have not wanted to get in there and poke around if I don't have to).

So, it sounds like we also either need (or need both) a trickle charger (have no idea what that is (hello Google) or any specific recommendations from anyone?) and/or a disconnect switch (again, any recommendations?) going forward?  We're likely using the pod about once every 3-4 weeks going forward at best, not more often than that, which means if it is the battery getting drained due to non-use we could have this problem again (unless as jato said, we just leave it constantly plugged into to shore power...but if we're away from home and not in the trailer, I don't really want to do that).

So, any recommendations on trickle charger and/or disconnect switch?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:21am
Take it one step at a time. First determine if your current battery is still good or needs to be replaced.

Then worry about how to keep it or a new one charged properly. You can do that via the onboard charger, by removing the battery and putting it in a charger at home, by using your solar kit, or by intermittently charging it and keeping it disconnected while in storage. Which is best depends on your storage and usage situation.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 12:54pm
Took battery out and over to mechanic for testing since the meter will take a bit.  Yep, battery tostito.  He also said in his opinion it's not a very good quality battery.  Any thoughts anyone has on the "best" battery to get as replacement (or what to avoid?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>