R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery charger - equalization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery charger - equalization
    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 2:34pm
Up to you but you really don’t need both, the power supply can trickle charge just fine, just set it’s voltage at Trojan’s float voltage spec, 2.25 V/cell I think. Set the current limit on the power supply at 2A, voila, you have a regulated trickle charger that will maintain 13.5V and not exceed 2A. You are right that you don’t need to leave it on all the time but it won’t hurt anything if you did. Just keep an eye on the water level.

I think probably most anything reasonably priced you get these days will be switch mode, transistors being cheap and iron and copper being expensive and heavy.. Unless you have sensitive electronic gear next to the PS in your basement that should work fine for you.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 3:37pm
Or unless you are a ham operator. Some of those switching power supplies can be quite noisy in the RF spectrum.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 4:16pm
Exactly. Sensitive electronics. Of course, there is a switching PS in pretty much every piece of electronics in your house anyway, including all the compact battery chargers. Check the EMI specs on the PS if you’re concerned about it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Camp town usa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:05am
I will use PS to maintain batteries individually. Are those little alligator clip wires appropriate for T105s? Confused

I found another discussion worth introducing regarding EQ in another platform, but same topic and background info otherwise. 

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/6vdc-trojan-t105-225ah-equalization-201841.html
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:15am
As long as they clip on the battery posts they will be fine. If not you can just make something up you like better. Charging them separately or together in series is fine, either way, just not in parallel as you can’t guarantee the same charging current to both when they’re in parallel. Each battery has 3 series cells so set your voltages accordingly. Cruiser forum is a good site, unlike rver’s, cruising sailors have to keep their systems operating all the time, its not like they can run down to the Wally World and get a new battery if they have a problem. Have fun.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12