R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdding shelves above bed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding shelves above bed
    Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:53am
Wondering who has added single shelves across front above bed?  What did you use for anchors, and into what bracing? Just wondering of process. Wanted something to store ebags, etc.  thanks. Tom
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 2:17pm
There are lots of posts about adding shelves, especially in the "List your mods" string.  It all depends on your model and where exactly you want to add the shelf.  Best off just searching "shelf" in the search tool.

As far as anchoring, some simple wall anchors will do, but you have to remember that the walls are thin and there are few "studs" to anchor in.  Often people have used the window valence along with wall anchors to provide the support.

Check out http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=842&KW=mods&PN=65&title=list-your-mods for my shelf post in a 178.

Hope this helps!:-)
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Osutrikers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 3:37pm
Thanks
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:51pm
Here are some pictures in our 179.  It is different because we ran our shelf front to back instead of side to side
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:10pm
Many thanks to Vann for his inspiration!!  I was able to nearly duplicate his method of creating a shelf at the foot of the bed.  For the shelf I used left over wainscoting plywood, corner trim molding and for support directly under the shelf a split closet rod.  I fashioned for wall supports using some wood I had and attached at the endwall using screws and construction adhesive.  I attached the side wall supports to the wall where the aluminum frame is located next to the window and wardrobe.  In addition to this I moved the TV (another inspiration from Vann) down since it really is at a odd height to be enjoyable  also  it was in the way of the shelf.  I added support inside the wardrobe to carry the load of the TV and the shelf support.  A bit of calk and touchup paint should complete it.  A great space saver mod!

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Nissan Frontier SL V6 4.0 (2019)
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:22pm
For us, that shelf would be at the head of the bed. We switched around because it helps with sound isolation from the AC and water pump since the pump is underneath the other end. Also it helps block light when I get up and turn on a light in the morning. I put up a curtain across the opening for light control also. My wife likes to sleep in and this keeps her happier. I ran my shelf across. We really don't watch a lot of television. When we do, we are usually sitting at the dinette.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:54am
Just getting our 189 which is why I’m wondering if the studs at curved end over bed and the wall studs are different?  Aluminum vs wood?  How to locate. Best type/length screws to use. Thanks 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:57am
Just getting our 189which is why I’m wondering if studs at end over bed and side wall studs are the same? Aluminum vs wood?  How to locate? Best type screw to use and length. Thanks a lot. Great forum.  Tom
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:53pm
Rather than a shelf I decided to make a cabinet to hold the stored clothing over the bed in our 179.  This picture only shows 2 of the 3 cabinet doors and the cabinet goes the entire width of the trailer over the bed.  It has preformed well.  Hope this gives some more ideas.

Jay

179/2019
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:23pm
Nice work JR!
Great job of matching up the vertical kerfs
I'm sure that looks a LOT better than our bare wire!
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>