Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

P-pod for dry camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-pod for dry camping?
    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:01am
Originally posted by MarkW

Thanks.  I'm not too worried about weight.  It's 2825# dry and we'll be towing with empty tanks at all times.  One of my first mods is going to be to pull the toilet and replace it with a porta potty...    We've been used to tent-camping where we travel by air and have to take our gear in checked luggage -- so we do know how to travel light.  Bikes will be in or on top of the TV.  Kayak is a 40# tandem inflatable.  I may remove the air conditioner and replace with a skylight vent (Gulfstream wouldn't let us order without the AC -- too busy right now to do those kinds of custom orders, I guess).  The microwave is probably going to go into storage too.  This is the actual trailer, BTW:

https://www.mikejonesmotors.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=9817089

I for one think you've looked at things pretty closely and with your previous experience will have a good time doing what you enjoy. Be safe and all the best!
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:53am
The main point of not using the blackwater system is simplicity mostly.  I expect our typical use will be in primitive tent/small RV campgrounds with no services, pit toilets, and a hand-pumped well rather than parked out on BLM land for long periods.  And probably solids will rarely go into the porta-pottie in the first place.  Our experience on our boat is that with a good quality Thetford unit at least, it seals well when not being used and smell really isn't a problem.  Composting toilets are much more expensive, use power, and require venting so I don't think that's the best choice for us.  I expect the toilet in the RV will be mostly a bad-weather/night-time convenience when we don't want to wander down to the pit toilet.  
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:22am
Never believe what's printed on the webpage or on the sticker...weigh the trailer and verify it.

Ready to roll (batteries, food, water, propane, pots and pans, clothes, etc) I bet that trailer is gonna be right at 3500 pounds with 300-500 pounds tongue weight.

Good luck.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:38am
Weigh your rig loaded and see. Usually very little weight ends up in the black tank. Most moves from freshwater to the gray tank from dishwashing and shower use.

Check out the RV composting toilets before you put in a portapot. They are pretty popular now especially with boon dockers. They don’t smell because they use negative pressure venting into the existing plumbing vent. The waste is separated into liquid and solids. The solids can be disposed of in the garbage and the urine is good fertilizer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:23am
Thanks.  I'm not too worried about weight.  It's 2825# dry and we'll be towing with empty tanks at all times.  One of my first mods is going to be to pull the toilet and replace it with a porta potty.  That way there's no need to for campgrounds with dump stations -- just empty the porta pottie into the pit toilet.  The blackwater system will probably never be used, at least by us.  We've been used to tent-camping where we travel by air and have to take our gear in checked luggage -- so we do know how to travel light.  Bikes will be in or on top of the TV.  Kayak is a 40# tandem inflatable.  I may remove the air conditioner and replace with a skylight vent (Gulfstream wouldn't let us order without the AC -- too busy right now to do those kinds of custom orders, I guess).  The microwave is probably going to go into storage too.  This is the actual trailer, BTW:

https://www.mikejonesmotors.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=9817089

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 5:58am
+1 to both podwerks and lostagain. Very nice looking trailer there. Bump up a size in your TV and you should be able to boon dock and use all its nice features. Have fun!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 7:00pm
Mark, that is the trailer we really wanted to get, but transporting it to the west coast made it too expensive for us.  It's a really nice trailer, well laid out and functional.  As I mentioned in another post, we got a Sonoma that is about the same size, differing mostly by the rear full bath configuration instead of in the center.  

Keep up with this board.  It has loads of useful information no matter what brand trailer you have.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote podwerkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:11pm
That's a nice choice if you had a tow vehicle with a suitable towing capacity....I hope you can address that situation. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
MarkW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MarkW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 4:24pm
Just to close the loop on this thread, I looked at the 179 and it was a little tired.  Walked across the lot and looked at a '21 Gulfstream Vintage Cruiser and decided to go that way with their 17rwd.  We really like the woody interior, dry bath, and extra width without a slide.  The oven option is nice too.  I may keep lurking around here a bit though -- there are a lot more pods and pod-owners around and there's lots of good info here.  Thanks for all the earlier feedback.
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 11:18am
Originally posted by MarkW

Does it really make sense to buy a trailer with electrical appliances and plumbing and then not use them? 

It makes sense only because the one we're looking it is used and appears to be a bit below market.  If we were buying new, I'd order w/o AC or microwave.  The same dealer with the 179 on the lot is also a GulfStream dealer.  Something like this would also fit our needs:

If we ordered without the AC, microwave and awning that we don't want, that should knock off another couple of thousand.  If the 179 doesn't work out, we might go that way.  Although I'm a little allergic to a brand new TT (lots of folks seem to have niggling problems in the first couple years that require return visits to the dealer and it sounds like often the warranty work is really slow).

That's a nice trailer! 

I went with a Redarc, wired, inertia sensing brake controller to reduce fiddling.  I can still push the button/dial to apply the trailer brakes.  I like it. 

I run a Scanguage II to monitor tranny temp. 

Trying to be very weight conscious, I have added 175 pounds of pots, dishes, sheets, towels, cleaning supplies, coffee supplies, toaster, rugs, hoses, cables, hitch .... everything I'd need but food for a trip to a disaster.  You'll likely not need to carry cables to boondock, but the rest you'll probably want.  It's just too comfortable to have them. 

In my case, Forest River's Unloaded Vehicle Weight of 2950 lbs, was just about spot on.  It's listed dry weight of 2760, or so, wasn't close. 

I do not need a weight distributing hitch, but I did install a friction anti-sway control.  It was cheap and light.  i don't know if I need it, but it makes me feel better. 

i also recommend a wireless rear camera.  It helps parking and changing lanes. 

I built a spreadsheet based on actual weights and positions of various bits in my trailer.  You can have a copy to modify, if you like. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 16>