R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-pod HRE Pictures and Flyer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-pod HRE Pictures and Flyer
    Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 6:58pm
We wrote the book on "Sensitive" propane detectors/alarms. Had a little case of the "winds" the other night and the alarm went off at about 3 AM. We couldn't shut it down for 30mins. Might be TMI for mamy of you   ...but it really happened.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:26pm
So far the dealer, Pan Pacific in French Camp, CA, has been good about taking care of things. I do know that we pay a price for having a really light weight unit and have to be careful. It is really nice to be able to tow with our old Sienna minivan! It did really well on the very steep winding roads we encountered last week!
We are going to try out the items we haven't used so far, like the microwave/convection oven and the TV/DVD player, before taking it in this time. I guess we'll have to see about anything else as time goes on. I know it doesn't leak because we had some really heavy rains just before we bought Dpod and everything was fine.

Carol
177 HRE rpod
2014 Honda Pilot
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:28pm
I've found our propane detector to be very sensitive, too.  Several times lately when we've dumped the black tank and then refilled water & added chemical, the open toilet will trigger it.  Opening the vent and running the exhaust fan on high has fixed that problem.

Others have mentioned killing the smoke detector when cooking, but ours hasn't been a problem - granted, we don't usually cook inside.

I removed that pin + hole thing that supposedly holds the dinnette table in place when its down, its never moved even over rough roads.

I agree about the sewer holder, I removed mine right away and have been using a large tool box.  Others have mounted PVC pipe holders and I'm considering that as an upcoming podmod.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
SoCalPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 12:33pm
We just took a maiden voyage with the 182g HRE from Southern California to Colorado and back and towed it with a fairly heavy/modified FJ Cruiser. Here are a few of the problems that kreeped up.

1. Fridge fake wood door accent popped out. (Simple tug and shove got this fixed.)
2. Rear left speaker was not working. (Had to pull it out and fix a connection)
3. Left Fender front too close to tire causing the screw from the light to cut the tire when it flexes. This also caused the yellow fender light to stop working as the tire rubbed the electrical wire clean.
4. Inside TV mount too close to the door and not aligned right. (Reseated myself)
5. Propane detector went off when turning on water heater. (didn't happen the second time and noticed the detectors are super sensitive. It went off one time when using a cleaning product)
6. Must take the battery out of smoke detector when cooking inside... period... it will go off.
7. Heater smelled like it was burning the first time it was used for testing causing the smoke alarm to go off. (this was with the dinette down) I still have not retried.
8. Rear left window seems to have a leak though only really happened during a monsoon storm hit in Barstow. Bed and some clothes were wet.
9. dinette not aligned and placed properly with mount guides. (it works but doesn't sit just right)
10. Sewage pipe holder is a joke as it's too small. This should have been larger and mounted farther back. I think I'll use it for putting Marsh mellows.

Don't get me wrong, we still love the unit and hope to get the problems fixed soon but simple quality control and overall care from the staff when they build these things would knock out 99% of the issues.

Planning another trip to Sedona this month to see what else comes up before I take it in for warranty stuffs.
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 8:28am
Don't get me wrong, I'll love my R-Pod as do many owners who jump-in to defend Forest River any time someone mentions the problems they have had with their toy.  In our  case, we had a leaky window and pull-out, twice repaired and still leaking, a faulty ground fault plug, defective converter, peeling decals, improperly secured wiring.  And that's not counting the alterations done to bring this unit up to standards of previous unit, ie, hinges and prop-up rod on bench covers, risers to stop tearing of jacks, reinforcing rear hitch, etc.

Let's not forget the much talked about wind drag issue, which whether you believe is a design flaw or not, the R-Pod's are a tougher pull than they should be for their weight.

As has  been evidenced in other posts, ForestRiver is following these forums with interest. Hopefully, future owners will benfit from the changes ForestRiver will choose to make to their future units, and all thanks to owners who choose to share the real issues they have encountered with their favorite toy!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 9:53pm
Sorry to hear of your problems.  Most people don't have big problems like that, but a few have.  Some problems don't show up until later - like peeling decals.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 8:06pm
We have now been out in our HRE (I'm calling it Rpod-Dpod) twice. Overall it is great. We are towing with a 1998 Toyota Sienna with 180,000 miles on it. On this second trip we went to a redwood park that involved driving down (and up!) a very narrow, winding, steep road. No problems! We're delighted with how well it went. Our dealer didn't have any non-HRE, so we didn't have anything to compare it with. As far as I can tell from the pictures, it is the same inside as the non-HRE. Maybe they just  want to cut shipping costs and aren't sending pods "out west"  from the original plant anymore.

On our first "shake-down" trip, it did shake down. The refrig. latch broke, one of the blinds wouldn't stay up, then fell off in the service person's hand, and the facing around one of the bench seats broke off due to being mounted too high. Got those fixed. This trip we forgot our camp stove (We like to cook outside) so used the inside stove for the first time. There was a strong gas smell outside after using the stove. (Not with just the refrig. on gas, though.) When we checked it out at home, there is a gas leak at the tank after the stove has been turned on. One of the outside compartment doors won't lock, it was hard from the beginning.  So another trip to the service dept!

Is this typical with a new pod, or did we get a "lemon"?  Hopefully, this will be our last set of problems!  We are enjoying Dpod, and are figuring out how to organize things. We are looking forward to camping during the winter, which we can do out here in California. Smile
Happy podding!

Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:08pm
I asked for a 3M plastic protection (I have that on my Santa Fe hood)

And it has cost me over 1100$ to put that on my R-Pod (on the front but 60 inches of height)

It was too expensive for me.

Do someone have already a diamond plate on his R-Pod ?
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Damour

I love the metal protection .. I wish I could have that on my R-Pod

Most any good RV dealer could add that for you.  It is generally referred to as "Diamond Plate".  It does not have to come from Forest River - special for the Pod.  It can be purchased in a stock size and cut to fit.
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 2:53pm
I love the metal protection .. I wish I could have that on my R-Pod
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>