FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy New Travel trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My New Travel trailer
    Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 5:42pm
The Dog House - Congrats on the new TV.  I bought mine the day after Thanksgiving and have been well pleased with it thus far.  My last tank full, I got 21.7mpg (no towing) and no highway.  About half of my commute is on county roads where I can do 40-50 mph.  The other half is six lanes - stop and go every 100 yards (it seems).  I have not been on the highway enough (without towing) to get a good reading on that mpg.  Good luck with yours!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by popgoesweasel

I'm having a problem increasing the size of the photo of the transciever to answer your radio questions!

I have an Icom 706MkIIG here in Costa Rica.  Since I have a metal roof, I use a vertical with noise cancellation between the radio and the antenna.  I have yet to obtain a Tico call sign so am use my US one.

N3PGW
Fine business on the ICOM!  A lot of guys really like the 706.  You sound as if you are "Sylviablue's" OM.  Am I correct?

I have a FT-847 and an FT-950 here in the shack.  I take the 847 camping.  A friend has both the Yaesu 897 and 857 that he uses for mobile/Field Day/etc.  He thought I should should test drive the 897 - "just in case I might want to buy one for the camper"LOL

I worked the Texas QSO party a little this weekend (from the campsite) - between the usual camping stuff - had a good time.  A couple of JA's (Japan) and a PY (Brazil) were strong early this morning.  Hope to catch you on the air!  WA9DU

popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 7:49pm
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 7:58pm
I brought this antenna into Costa Rica in a suitcase.  I had to cut the two bottom sections in half and then put them back together with sleeves and clamps.  It works fine and the SWR on the three bands is excellent.  I will probably take a random wire antenna & tuner with me camping in the pod, though.  The 706 has been a good small unit that could be carried around for camping.  
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 6:27am
Originally posted by popgoesweasel

I brought this antenna into Costa Rica in a suitcase.  I had to cut the two bottom sections in half and then put them back together with sleeves and clamps.  It works fine and the SWR on the three bands is excellent.  I will probably take a random wire antenna & tuner with me camping in the pod, though.  The 706 has been a good small unit that could be carried around for camping.  
With that metal roof, I bet it does work very well!  Is it a Mosley?  Looks like a beautiful place to live.

More clues:
Double sink and the same 2 burner stove as the Pod, but comes with a cover.  Also has a lighted hood/exhaust fan.  In my 35+ years of camping, I don't remember ever cooking anything inside of any of my campers, however.
Storage over the dinette with built in speakers, below.  The AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3 player is wired over to the TV.  It is 12v and is nice during bad weather to pop in a DVD and watch one of the "classics", such as "Smokey and the Bandit" (I REFUSE to pay more than $5 for a DVD).  Ya got yer ears on Snowman?!
Standard queen bed (60x80).  Half under which is storage (inside only) the other half is separated by a wall and is the outside pass thru storage.  Overhead storage is good for storing things, well, overhead.  The skylight really brightens things up inside; so much so that the camera's flash didn't flash, so it looks dark - but is not. For those of you who may be considering Techntrek's alternative air conditioner (other thread) and wondering what might be done with the hole in the roof left by the old A/C...think skylight!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 6:55pm
I don't know about the rest of you but, I can't stand the suspense any longer!!!  What the heck is it?

It is a Coleman CT187QB.  Yes, I know it is really a Thor/Dutchmen with the Coleman name.  Much like the Coleman popups are actually made by Fleetwood.

Dixie - always the "ham" - getting in the pictures.  It is 19'2" long and has an UVW (with all of the options) of 3018lbs.  About 650 more than my RP173 (about 2350, if memory serves).  A couple of nice touches are the light up front for hitching after dark, one over the drain for dumping after dark, and the pass thru storage is lighted.  It also has only one drain to hook the stinky slinky ( on my Pod, there were two and I had to switch the hose).  It also has an outside spray hose for those muddy hiking boots.  It has outside speakers, but I'll probably never use them.  At 7' wide, it is only about 1" wider than my truck on each side, so I have good visibility with the standard factory mirrors.  With dual axles on a short trailer, sway is not an issue at all - it pulls pretty good. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 8:26pm
Cool.  I like the extra touches, too.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TheDogHouse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 8:36pm

Sweet camper!  I think you made a great choice.

Steve and Rosa
11' 173T
09' Silverado Extended Cab
KSinclair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 9:16pm
I like it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123