R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Solar Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hiker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Questions
    Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:10am
My 196 is pre wired for a solar option that apparently would be mounted on the roof.   Would those of you who have this option say it's worthwhile or would you prefer to have one of the stand alone portable suitcase solutions?  

Having the pre wired option installed sounds like a nice way to have solar "built in" to the RV so it's easily available and always charging without much thought.  

The stand alone suitcase solution requires setup/breakdown time and storage space.   I imagine I would need to secure it somehow if I leave my campsite unattended.  While this isn't ideal, I can imagine scenarios where it would be nice to have a stand alone solution separate from the RV.  

Cost is also a consideration - What's a fair price to have my RV service dept install a solar option?

Thanks for taking the time.  

Ricktoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ricktoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:18am
I am also considering the solar option. Most likely will go with a stand alone portable unit or panel and connect a charge controller to the panel. I will then run wires to the batteries for charging. The advantage of portable is you can park the R-pod in the shade and put the panels in the sun. The advantage to roof mounted panels is they charge while you are moving as well as parked.
Just some thoughts.
Rick and Ellen B
2019 Chevy Colorado
2021 Rpod 196
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 7:33am
We have the renogy 100 watt suitcase unit and love it. As you said, there are pros and cons to both types.  We have used the suitcase unit for about 3 years and never had issues.  I'm sure someone could steal it, but so far not a problem.
One additional thing to consider when going with solar is your battery choice.  We use 2 6volt golf cart batteries. this gives us the maximum number of recharge cycles and the most amp hours of usage with a "normal" flooded battery. We get them at costco for about $110 each. they add to the tongue weight, but also add to the available power-it's worth the weight.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 8:35am
You might want to start with a 100 watt or so portable system. Many folks find that sufficient. You can always add an additional 100 watt rooftop system later. Just get a controller that can handle at least 15-20 amps charge current so you don’t have to upgrade that later.

You can certainly connect the controller output directly at the batteries but please install a fuse in the positive line there, Don’t just run wires, it's not safe if you get a short. To keep your voltage drops low I suggest 10 gauge wire and a 30 amp inline fuse.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 8:39am
You might want to start with a 100 watt or so portable system. Many folks find that sufficient. You can always add an additional 100 watt rooftop system later. Just get a controller that can handle at least 15-20 amps charge current so you don’t have to upgrade that later.

You can certainly connect the controller output directly at the batteries but please install a fuse in the positive line there, Don’t just run wires, it's not safe if you get a short. To keep your voltage drops low I suggest 10 gauge wire and a 30 amp inline fuse.

Any nominal 12V 100 watt or so solar module will work, you don’t need to buy an expensive kit. Get a glass module with an aluminum frame, much more reliable and long lasting that the so-called “flexible” solar modules. You can just bolt on a couple of fold up legs made from some aluminum angle to the module so you can tilt it up facing the sun,
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
yelvington View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yelvington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 3:21pm
My current plan (which could change another 100 or so times) is to buy a single aluminum-framed glass panel and a charge controller, and use it as a portable via the Zamp port. This lets me put off the question of whether to permanently mount, add more panels, etc., as I gain experience with how it all works with my typical electrical load.

Solar doesn't work without sunshine, and a lot of our nearby camping is pretty heavily forested -- but we plan next summer to head west, where sky is open and electrical drops are scarce. 

There are some good videos like this on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1rlrS7QwVI

This also lets me get a handle on the battery situation. When my battery eventually dies, I hope to with LiFePO, which also would require spending a couple of hundred to change the charger component of the pod's electrical system. Expecting prices to drop over the next year or so. 
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 7:59pm
Our first solar was big and cumbersome for the 100 watts from 4 panels that had to be wired together and lugged around as the sun moved or the wind blew. This rPod came with a rooftop mounted unit and the improvements are notable. At this time the convenience and function have been really nice. The new prtable systems look a lot more convenient than the old ones but our rooftop has served our needs.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
hiker39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hiker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 11:15pm
Thanks for all the replies, this is such a great resource.  I had the same though about using the roof mounted option to charge while driving, I wonder if it would add anything to the trickle charge you get when the lights are hooked up?  

Thanks for the tips on batteries and hooking directly to the batteries, I'm still unclear how the Zamp connector factors into this, is the Zamp connector another way for a "suitcase system" to connect to the battery or is there more to it than that?

Thanks again for all the great replies!  
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 4:24am
You don’t need to worry about having solar charging while driving. You should already have charging from your tow vehicle alternator for that. And overall you’re not driving that much of the time so you will be getting a lot more amp hours of solar charging while parked. Your biggest consideration is probably going to be how often you’re camping under trees. If that’s a lot of the time then don’t permanently mount your solar module on the roof. It will do essentially nothing for you in the shade. Leaving the module portable and having a long cable for it will give you more placement options. There is also no reason you can’t start with the module portable on a cable and then mount it on the roof later.

The zamp port is nothing special. It just connects to the battery. You can use it if it’s convenient or just go to the battery directly. But please do use a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery. I’ve designed solar power systems for 40 years now and not installing fuses or circuit breakers is the number one mistake I’ve seen ppl make, sometimes with disastrous results. A shorted 12Vdc circuit can start a fire just as easily as a 120Vac circuit could if you bypass a circuit breaker. Few folks would do the latter but many for some reason ignore safety when wiring 12Vdc circuits.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 9:39am
Offgrid, you are wanting the fuse/circuit breaker on the battery to house wiring not the solar to battery wiring, correct?
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>