Topic ClosedCampgrounds, Boondocking, etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Campgrounds, Boondocking, etc
    Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 9:10am
So we are on our way around the country. I am documenting our campground stops on this map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103091139456049256732.00048fc2c3ebc6f2f180e
Hopefully this link will work for you. When I have time I will post some comments and directions but they were all nice and each $20 with electric and water. Some with showers some not some hot some not.
This maps is made so others can add to it the same way I did. If it is something others would be interested in contributing to I'll post instructions on how to do that.
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 10:22am
I added some pictures to the campgrounds we have frequented so far. They were overnights only as we were moving across the country quickly to get to our daughter's house. All were nice; good but not overly exceptional. The best so far was Santa Rosa Lake State Park about 2 hours east of Albuquerque. 
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 10:38pm
Looks like a great start at a map showing cheap sites.  I only had a minute to look but it looks like others can add to it?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 10:57pm
Yes anyone can add to it. The bad news is it can be corrupted by anyone too and there is no easy way to keep it backed up.
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 11:28pm
Great idea!  Toad Suck!!  I have been there.  Who could forget a name like that!LOL

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 9:42am
Added another recommendation to the map (see link in initial post). When we were approaching Yosemite we called the NPS number for camping information and of course the campgrounds were full. When asked what our options were they suggested we stay at Oakhurst. We did that and stayed at an RV park called Sierra RV. It was OK but I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to be in any place that has RV in it's name. They cost more than I want to spend and look like RV parking lots to me. It was only 20 minutes more to the west gate so we took a ride and saw Saddleback camp 1.5 miles from the gate in the Sierra National Forest. We had been told previously that it was a reservation site and unlikely to have space. In fact it was less than half full and frankly a better campground that the ones in the national park from the standpoint of privacy and woodsy location. No facilities other than potable water and vaught toliets. We used this as our based for the next two days and it is a strategy that I would do again.
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 8:22pm

Posted another decent campground (Sand Hollow State Park) that can be used as a base for Zion National Park if the campgrounds are full as they are today. This one is about 30 minutes from the NPS entrance. More and more, I am becoming convinced of the advantage of staying in state parks outside of national parks and not worrying about reservations, traffic, etc; plus many like this one have hookups at nearly the same price.

vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 6:07pm
If you go here:http://www.gypsyjournal.net/ he has a listing of over 1,000 free or cheap places to camp.  I think he sells it on a CD for $8 or $9.  Well worth it.  When I lived full time on the road in our motorhome I used his list a lot.  I still get his newspaper.  It is great!!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply