R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBall Mount Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ball Mount Question
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:30am
Hi Everybody,

So im looking to get a ball mount hitch for my 2021 Toyota Tacoma SX. I measured to the top in the inside of the hitch receiver and got 18.5 in. Then measure to the bottom of my cupler of my Rpod 180 and got 17.75 in. Getting a difference of -.75. If im correct in my understanding of how you calculate this, I need a drop of 1in. I went to Walmart and could only find hitches with 2in drop and higher. Now I notice some have drops and rises on the same hitch. If I got one with a 2in drop and 1 in rise, would that give me what I need..? I also believe I need a 2in ball. In addition, the one I was looking at was class V. & is certified for up to 17,000 lbs. thats much more then my TT which is about 3,700 loaded. Is it safer to get a stronger hitch the needed or is it not necessary. I also would love any insight on a good brake controller to go with as I will be needing to get one as well, Im newer to towing so something that is user friendly would be best. Thanks you your time.
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:43am
hi there...
I'll leave the calculation question to others as I'd be guessing but I wanted to say that I bought Curt's Bluetooth brake controller this summer and I'm really happy with it. The device cost most than others but the install was way less so they ended up about the same. 

Welcome...I hope you love your pod as much as I love mine.
Julie
Julie
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:24pm
I seem to have accumulated a collection of various heights of "Stingers" - that is what the part that slides into the 2" receiver is called" - over the years. The majority came from U-Haul so they may have a bigger selection than Walmart, and perhaps a more know legible person to ask. Just a suggestion ....     
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:29pm
This is the brand of brake controller I had installed on my Tacoma; it is posted on the Forest River forums' classified section.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f246/new-never-used-tekonsha-p3-brake-controller-220715.html
I have used a 2" drop WDH for our 195, but used a straight 2" ball and hitch when we had a 179. We used sway control with both hitches. Really not too concerned about 3/4" difference as long as the hitch weight was right. Others will be able to express more grounded opinions on this issue for sure.
The Rpods are so much fun; good choice.
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:30pm
Having a stronger ball is never going to be a bad move. So If cost is similar, I say go for it. As far as brake controller, I use the tekonsha P3 which is a great controller, and will probably plug and play in your vehicle. As far as height, it's better to be a little lower, than being higher. If it's a little low, it will push down on the back end if you brake aggressively, helping you have better stopping traction. Being a little high would tend to lift the back end. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:37pm
Go with a 1" - 2" drop (front of pod lower than rear) when towing.  Reduces potential of sway.  Ideally you also want 10% - 12% trailer weight on your receiver, again to reduce potential of sway.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:17pm
I'm pretty sure the 2" drop/ 1" rise means if you install it one way you have a 2" drop, but if you turn it over (and install the ball from the other direction) you have a 1" rise.

It's nice to get things as close to right as you can, but remember, when you put the weight of the Pod down on the ball, the back end of your truck is probably going to go down a bit.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:05pm
I use adjustable "stingers" as I tow several things and would rather adjust height of hitch then change stinger every time. It's ok the stinger is rated higher than your hitch or capacity. For towing I recommend level or a bit low in front. Not more than 2 inches. The receiver and ball size is 2 inches. I'm a fan of the Tekonsha contollers, while there are many good ones. I still have a vehicle with a P2, I sold the truck that had a P3 in it. Lot of places you can buy ball mounts, we have a local Tractor Supply which has an excellent selection. My last adjustable ball mount came from etrailer.com as did all my controllers. Best about etrailer is the have a customer service line that will answer any question you have.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:46pm
I think you will want to look into getting a weight distribution hitch for your Taco rather than just a simple ball hitch. You will like the ride and handling much better because the wdh will push the front of the Taco back down (otherwise it will get light in front when you hang the trailer on the ball). Being light in front is not good because that reduces your steering authority and, since the front brakes are the best brakes on the rig, your braking capacity as well. 

If you get a wdh that will have a set of adjustments you will need to work through to get the trailer level and the front axle of the Taco back to the same load/height it was without the trailer. Ideally you want the trailer as close to level as possible when hitched up so you can roll into an overnight campsite and/or rest area and catch some zzzz's without having to unhitch. 

As for brake controllers, I agree with mcarter. The Tekonsha P2 is a very nice, simple and relatively inexpensive controller. The P3 has more bells and whistles but the same underlying functionality, it would be a better choice probably if you were towing more than one type of trailer. Either one is good and the company has a good reputation. 

Whatever you choose, do get a proportional controller, which uses accelerometers (like what's in your smartphone) to apply the trailer brakes in proportion to the rate at which you are applying the Taco's brakes. When you get it, set it up yourself and be sure you familiarize yourself with its operation and adjustments, you should use its manual control to test the trailer brakes out each time you hitch up. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:59am
I agree with the concept of a WDH. The receiver on our E2 has a 6" adjustment range with 1" increments, and can be + or -, so it's easy to get it "just right".
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>