R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBall Mount Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ball Mount Question
    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:09am
It’s an interesting question.

It’s possible that the two could interact depending on what sway control system you have. I understand for example that Blueox wdh/sway control comes with a warning to shut off TSC. Blueox is not a friction based sway control system, it uses tension in the wdh spring arms to apply torque to the trailer to straighten it out. Think of it as a dynamic sway control where the trailer sway is being controlled by two springs, one on each side. In comparison straight friction bar sway control dampens trailer side to side motion passively.

So, conceivably TSC trying to actively operate your truck brakes on either side one at a time could get out of phase with the action of the blue ox spring bars and make the sway oscillation worse. A passive friction sway system with no spring action couldn’t do that. So my recommendation would be to get a wdh with friction based sway control and leave your TSC engaged.

Sway control systems are all secondary to having a properly loaded trailer to begin with. That means having at least 10, preferably 11-12 percent of the trailer total weight on the tongue under all load conditions, so that the trailer center of gravity is well forward of the trailer axle. When the c of g is too far aft the trailer wants to swap ends when you hit the brakes or get a crosswind. The only way to know that is to weigh it. Check out this video:

https://youtu.be/i2fkOVHAC8Q
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by SkeeterPod11

My 2021 Tacoma SX comes with electric sway control build. Do you like this will conflict with a sway control that is part of the WDH..?
No. The reason is that the Tacoma's electric sway control, only uses engine torque adjustments and brake activation of the Tacoma and does not do anything with the trailer brakes. If the hitch has sway control, it can only help to help avoid the sway conditions in the first place.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
SkeeterPod11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 6:34pm
My 2021 Tacoma SX comes with electric sway control build. Do you like this will conflict with a sway control that is part of the WDH..?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 6:13pm
I use the Reese pro wdh with independently
adjustable sway control. It take a couple extra minutes to hitch up but to me it’s well worth it to be able to adjust the sway control separately from the wdh. There are times when I like little or no sway control (slick roads, windy mountain roads) while leaving my wdh tension unchanged. With many systems you don’t get that choice.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 5:20pm
The only one I know who has used more than one kind of WDH is StephenH. For me (and most others I would assume) after I got and used the E2, there was no compelling reason to switch. It works, I think it's pretty simple to setup and use. Done.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 4:02pm
I have the Anderson and like it.  I haven't used any of the others to compare though.  It is supposedly lighter (which was a thing for me) and the customer service has been great.  A year and a half on and the pin bent.  When I called them they said they had redesigned the plate and sent me the new part for free.
Julie
SkeeterPod11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 3:44pm
The Anderson “No-Sway” Hitches do look a little more user friendly. Higher price. But not a deal breaker. Anyone else have any experience with Anderson hitches appose to other WDH such as e2 or curt..?
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:23am
Originally posted by podwerkz

It would not be difficult for Curt or any of the receiver shank manufacturers to integrate some kind of dampening bushing....a simple twist of a bolt could expand a rubber bushing in the shank, pushing thru a couple of openings and reduce the clunking to a minimum....hmmm...but I guess I need to patent the idea first!

Wink

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Curt/C22321.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAiA5IL-BRAzEiwA0lcWYoo8RqXL0LcPO-pvRdAtAIZxOcS03sPwaSLjxVFXGcqE787imVmtvBoCpJQQAvD_BwE
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by SkeeterPod11

Did you install your WDH yourself or have it done for you..? From what I understand there are multiple tools including torque wrenches required and I'm trying to gauge additional cost and difficulty level. The fact no drilling is required with the e2 that's a plus. & Obviously skill level and familiarity with towing/towing equipment comes into play and mine is somewhat minimal but just wondering..
It's not terribly difficult to install, and there are easy workarounds for he high torque requirements (see above). We bought the E2 and the RP179 together as a  "package", and the dealer set it all up.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 12:32pm
It would not be difficult for Curt or any of the receiver shank manufacturers to integrate some kind of dampening bushing....a simple twist of a bolt could expand a rubber bushing in the shank, pushing thru a couple of openings and reduce the clunking to a minimum....hmmm...but I guess I need to patent the idea first!

Wink

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>