R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFloor deflecting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor deflecting
    Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:56am

I have an RPod 179 model year 2019 that we purchased new from a dealer in Muskegon, MI.  For the 2 years we have owned it we have been able to get in quite bit of camping with the trailer.  Both years my wife and I have spent more than 110 nights camping and traveling 10,500 miles the first year and 7,800 miles this year.  Not bragging just establishing the trailer has been used.  We have made some modification to the trailer to fit our needs which is not pertinent to this post. 

We have also needed some warranty work performed by our dealer and approved by Forest River.  We did encounter some issues getting this work accomplished but in the end it did get done correctly the first time.  The warranty work was replacing the forward wall in the slide out because the outer skin was delaminating due to a manufacturing flaw, getting a replacement fender so that they would match (be the same size), and having the seal in the rear window installed correctly to stop the window leaking during rain storms.

After we had the trailer for over 2 years and becoming familiar with the problem John Marucci had experienced and had documented on the forum and his YouTube channel about the “kitchen” floor deflecting when you were walking on it, I was thinking our trailer was experiencing the same thing.  With my history of warranty work I was very apprehensive about a requesting warranty claim outside of the 2 year factory warranty period of an RPod.  I did not have an extended warranty as John Marucci had invested in.

I did contact my dealer and told them my whole story along with a summary of John Marucci’s story.  My dealer was not deterred about the trailer being out of the warranty period.  My dealer requested several pictures showing the deflection in the floor, which I provided.  There was also an important concern of possible prior water intrusion, which would have compromised the floor and voided any claim.  There has been no water damage to the trailer.  After my dealer had worked on my claim with Forest River for the better part of a month and half, the dealer asked me to call Forest River direct, to supply any additional information they might need in making their decision.  I did contact Forest River Warranty Department and I was informed later that day that Forest River had approved my claim for the dealer to make the needed repairs to the flooring (underside) in the kitchen area.

The trailer will be going in this Friday for the needed repairs.  I am impressed at the customer service that I have received thus far on this claim from my dealer All Seasons RV Supercenter in Muskegon, Michigan and Forest River.  Most importantly the guidance that John Marucci’s provides on this problem in his tread on this forum and on his You Tube channel has proven invaluable in receiving approval of my claim.  Thank you very much John.

Forest River does make it clear that all claims are handled on an individual basis.  All claims have different circumstances and are process with those in mind.

I will post the conclusions of this repair work when it is completed. 

Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:17am
Very glad to hear your problem is getting taken care of. Do keep us posted.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 9:43am
Great to hear that my problems helped to get yours resolved! All the best!
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:21am
Offgrid,
Will do I just have to give the kudos when something goes right.  Boy is this forum a great thing and all the good input from everyone.
Jay

179/2019
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:12pm
Very happy to hear it's headed in a good direction! Do also credit your dealer for the assistance/persistance in this. Mine was extremely helpful with my issues! Sounds like yours is also.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:27pm
John and I have just had a cross braces fabricated. I got mine painted today and hope to get it installed tomorrow. Since mine isn't sagging right now, it will help to prevent it from happening. I am not going to go with the additional plywood layer, but just put it under the kitchen area.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:39pm
Stephen, I’ve always thought that the best upgrades are the ones that should have happened at the factory. The support under the kitchen floor would be in this category. Highly recommended. My trailer is much better in this regard. Hope this work goes well. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 4:12pm
StephenH,
I was leaning in the same direction as you, just installing some cross bracing, if my claim was not honored.  Thanks to John for giving such a detailed explanation of the repair FR did on his rig.  I guess I was just fortunate that working though my dealer, FR did honor the claim.  FR will be doing the job correctly and John has indicated that the repair to his 179 is holding up well.

Still will give a update after the work has been completed. 

Olddawgsrule
I am definitely thankful that my dealer has represented me well with FR on this claim.  I couldn't have done it without their help.  It has all come together in getting this repair scheduled and the claim approved.  Forest River has stepped up and my dealer has represented me well also John Marucci has given great advise and detailed explanation of the repair to his trailer by FR.  It has all come together to get me to this point.  Just wanted to give kudos to all the help that I have benefited from.  
Jay

179/2019
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:34am

The conclusions of the warranty work to correct the deflecting flooring in the kitchen area of a 2019 R-Pod 179.  I dropped off my 179 at All Seasons RV Super Center in Muskegon, Michigan, the dealer that I had purchased the trailer from, with the knowledge that they were not going to get right on the repair because their schedule was very booked up at the time.  The warranty work was a rather small repair job everything considered and the dealership thought that they could “work it in between” some other larger jobs.  The beginning the time estimate was about 2 weeks which turned out to be 5 weeks.  This time delay was just a minor inconvenience.  I had no plans on using the trailer the rest of the year.  My only project left to accomplish was to check the trailer’s brakes and repack the wheel bearings before putting the trailer into storage.

I was able to forward to the service manager the link to John Marucci’s YouTube video on Forest River’s repair of his “deflecting flooring”.  The service manager found the video to be very helpful along with the service tech, who completed the work.

The work consisted of installing a piece of ¾” plywood fully wrapped in “black weather protector” cut to fit between the frame rails approximately 58” by 48”, that had been notched out to allow the electric and gas lines access to the cabinet area below the stove.  The front of the plywood butted up to the steel rail supporting the gray water and continued back just short of the end of the trailer.  This plywood was screwed around it’s parameter with screws that did not penetrate the inside floor surface.  There were screws installed from inside the trailer on the inside of the cabinets so there are no screws visible from the inside of the trailer.

Once the plywood support had been screwed into place 2 support cross members were installed between the frame rails.  These supporting cross members (running between the frame rails) are 1” tubular steel painted black and a piece of flat stock welded to each end to facilitate screwing into the frame rails. There was a slight camber introduced into each support cross member.  The camber is to allow more support in the middle of the span between the frame rails.

I had installed a BAL Hide-a-Spare tire carrier which had to be removed and adapted to fit after the installation of the flooring improvements.  Because of the Hide-a-Spare the first support cross member was located 4” behind the rear metal support for the gray water tank.  The second support cross member was located 15” further back from the first support cross member.  This allowed the plywood to extended another 28” to near the rear of the trailer.

I just picked up our 179 from the dealer on December 11th and there is no deflection in the floor anywhere in the trailer.  I am very pleased with the manner in which this problem has been resolved.

My dealer, All Season RV Super Center of Muskegon, Michigan and the manufacture Forest River have certainly stood behind their product and properly resolved the issue that I feel was not caused by me abusing the trailer.  The warranty work was handled by Forest River and All Seasons on a “customer good will” basis.  Forest River does make it clear that all claims are handled on an individual basis.  All claims have different circumstances and are process with those in mind.

The only issue left to be resolved is the financial responsibility of the removal, modifications and the re-installation of the Hide-a-Spare which is an aftermarket addition installed by myself and “StephenH”.

Things that were important to the success of this repair was first John Marucci’s (who is a forum member) sharing his experience with the forum in his You Tube video which allowed me, the service manager, and the tech to fully understand Forest River’s plans in resolving this issue.  Secondly, and very importantly, dealing with a reputable RV dealer representing your interests with the manufacture.   Without a reputable dealer in your corner it would be at best very difficult dealing with any manufacture.  Thirdly, dealing with Forest River that took the responsibility for the issue and stood behind their product which demonstrates they are obviously interested in maintaining its customer’s “good will” with its present and future customers.  

Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:27am
Great outcome and excellent write up. Good to know that your dealer and FR were so responsive. I guess you could argue either way about responsibility for the labor involved in the spare tire mount. On one hand it's an aftermarket add on so not the manufacturer's responsibility, on the other, removing and reinstalling it wouldn't have been necessary had the floor been built right to begin with. Your call of course but based on that I might suggest proposing a cost split. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>