R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers Forest River parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers Forest River parts
    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:55pm
All,
Received these outriggers from Forest River, took a while to get them,  they came with no instructions but after working with the parts dept  they were able to get the  engineers to provide the screws to be used. I have not installed them yet,   i am not happy with the long self tapping screws that go into and through the frame,  i will use bolts with locking nuts.  the other screws will go into the underside of the floor next to the edge of the body.  I plan on installing them next to the frame but  under the rollers for the slide out as that seems the logical place.  FR gave no real instructions on where to install them except to place them "spaced apart"   

Sadly I do not have the part number,  but Forest River identifies it as  "Formed Outrigger - 4A - Used on R-pods

they did mention that these are being installed on new rigs,  didn't say which ones,  so hard to get info from Forest River.

Cheers
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Nissan Frontier SL V6 4.0 (2019)
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:18pm
i'm iffy about the installation. The frame on the pod only has .100 thick walls. You can bend those in tightening the bolts/nuts. The frame is really meant to have a load pushing down on it. Not sure how much sideway pressure it can take. I have them stock on my 195, but they are tack welded onto the frame. Hopefully this works. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:52pm
The frame tubes are very resistant to rotating, as all tube shapes are, so you should be good there. As for compressing the 0.1 tube walls, that is a valid concern. You could add a backing plate on the inner side of the tube to spread the load, or just be careful not to compress the tubing by overtightening the bolts. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:46am
good replys,  thanks,  I originally considered welding these on as I do not want to compromise the frame by drilling holes but in talking to a welding shop they are concerned re the heat that would generate for the frame itself and weaken the steel (its thin)  and secondly   the water repellant membrane covering the wood floor would be subject to melting.  I find it odd that FR would send self tapping screws that would go through the entire frame.  I will get a second opinion from the welding shop,  perhaps discuss just tac welding and be done with it as mentioned.  I have to remember that these are precaution supports only as the floor is still in good shape,  no sagging.  appreciate the input!

mjlrpod  would you have pictures of your tac welded supports on your 195?

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
geewizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote geewizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:48am
Ummm, what are they used for?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:53am
there have been cases where the slide out is putting pressure on the walls and floor of the rigs causing over time for the floors to sag above the fender area,  FR has produced these supports to beef up the body/frame area                                                   
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:23am
The max bending stress in the frame tubes is on the top and bottom surfaces and the sidewalls immediately adjacent. Looking at the parts the through holes for the self tapping screws are well away from those areas, so I don't think the outrigger attachment will appreciably weaken the frame. If you're concerned about it keep the outriggers away from the axle attachments as that is where the frame tubes encounter the highest bending loads. 

If it were me I would make up backing plates to go on the inside of the frame rails and use bolts rather than self tappers. Not really needed structurally but that would make it easier to adjust the amount of compression on the frame rails, I'm just not sure how uniform that can be when driving a self tapper through two steel walls. As you say that is an unusual way to use self tapping screws. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:30am
I would love to see a picture of where these are installed by FR on, say, a 195/196, and also a discussion of how to determine if one's slideout is in fact causing said sag.

This is all news to me.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

I would love to see a picture of where these are installed by FR on, say, a 196/196, and also a discussion of how to determine if one's slideout is in fact causing said sag.

This is all news to me.

You HAVE outriggers on your 195. Take a look underneath. The 195 has 4  or 5 of these on each side of the camper. 
As far as tack welding them, I agree that that isn't as good an idea now that the frame is actually on the camper. I think a 1/4 thick, 2 x 5 backer plate on the inner edge of the frame might be the best way now.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 11:01am
I used the same type of self-tapping screws that FR used for the tank supports to attach mine to the frame. I used three of them for each support I made. I have not had the opportunity to get out on the road to see how well it holds up, but I suspect it will be just fine. I did notice that it makes a difference in the height of the slide over the ottomans as it had been nearly dragging the top of the covers. Now there is additional space above them for clearance. I only attached them to the frame. I did not attach it to the side wall or the floor bottom. It looks like the factory ones were made to be attached to both. I may have to revisit mine and put a couple of screws in at the outside edge close to the wall also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>