R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers Forest River parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers Forest River parts
    Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:42pm
Not too bad of a mod to perform,  although the sag is concerning in that you will have to jack up the slide,  others have done it successfully,  I fortunately did not have to do that,   also you mention in your first post that you have no outriggers for 9 ft,  did your 2017.5 come with outriggers?,  unless I misunderstood your posting.  
thanks John for all of your videos,  most helpful especially when I picked up our pod 2+ years ago,  we knew nothing of the travel trailer and specifically the pod world.  

I was able to use your advice to fabricate a support beam under the kitchen floor,  it has really help to shore up the floor.

cheers  
john
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Nissan Frontier SL V6 4.0 (2019)
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 5:43am
John, there are a few outriggers on the frame. The slide is unsupported. There is an outrigger near the front of the frame and then nothing for 9' until the next outrigger near the axle. Glad the floor support video was helpful. There was a lot of pain involved in getting that work done by FR and I am very happy that the solution has helped others.  
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 1:42pm
Coming in on the tail of this but I think some of my issues at the front of my rPOD were due to not enough support.  I am going to order 8 of these and use 4 on each side.  Does that seem reasonable?  I was going to make sure 2 where the pullout is.  I was going to try to evenly space them for all the others.
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:31pm
good question on the optimal place to install them,  I went with all 4 under the slide as directly under the rollers as i could get,  logic to me seem this is where the most pressure would be on the side of the trailer.  Not an engineer here though,   on this forum there are others well versed in the engineering world

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:54pm
John,  I checked my 2017 (Green ver) and no outriggers at all,  so they must have added them in the 1/2 year change  to be installed on your 2017.5  are they welded or bolted on?

John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by offgrid

You don't have to weld them.

FR suggests using TEK self drilling screws and shooting them through both walls of the frame rails. Or you can through books them but if you use a flat washer and don't compress the frame tube by overtightening. It's walls are only 0.1 inch thick.

That in it's self is a good reason not to play any deeper. You folks know my opinion of FR and these risers..

Basically what I will say is this 'NOT' an off tar rig and thinking that raising the clearance of the Pod will get you there.. Well... I do wish you luck and chance that I meet you out there with my rig, I will 'try' to help.

Adding a longer section of 2x2 tube(about 4ft long) will get you there with some additional support. Just adding the risers they sell... with TEK screws holding them.. Not in my lifetime. 

Safe travels folks!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:44am
I can't seem to find any pictures of a factory install of these outriggers?  When I ordered them and asked the parts person if there were any instructions on installation and location for them she said FR didn't have anything but I should be able to find instructions on internet?

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:05am
I don't have the R-Pod with me currently, but the pics I took do show three supports (outriggers) welded, one near the front and two near the axle. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:38am
Ok did you post any of the pics?  I still can't find any pics.  I did look at your videos as well.  I saw that you had the same issue as I did that caused your flooring in the storage area to get wet.  FR did a horrible job on my 189 at the joint where the walls meet the front.  They cut the wall improperly and tried to use a ton of screws to hold it together.....it all came apart while traveling and I had to relaminate the sides at the bottom edge.  It is rediculous that mine in a 2018 and I just want to use it for 2 to 3 years as I am 68 now and I am not sure it will last that long.

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 6:54pm
Yeah, my cargo bay water leak was very disappointing. Strange, but none of my appliances have even acted up on my 179 in 5 full seasons, but the structure, especially the floors, are just not supported well nor are they made of the best materials. My Keystone Bullet 243BHS RV that I use for longer trips, has the new Hyperdeck composite flooring and its structure is rock solid vs the Pod. However, I have had issues with almost everything with a Dometic label on it, including getting the A/C replaced within 18 months! It would be nice if someone could get a composite floor, Azdel walls and better appliances in one RV! ~PP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>