R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers Forest River parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers Forest River parts
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 3:06pm
Thanks for the write-up Vann. It parallels my experience.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:30am
Good writeup, lots of helpful detail.

One of those details causes me concern though. It sounds like you are drilling 1 inch holes through the frame rails. I wasn't expecting anything near that big, and I don't think the forces on the outriggers are anywhere near needing something that heavy.

I was thinking more like 1/4 or 5/16 bolts. 1/4 inch grade 5 bolts are good for about 3800 lbs. The concern is of course weakening the already weak rpod frame tubes.

What was the size fastener suggested by FR?

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:44am
Definitely not 1" holes!
The screws were 1" long and #14. I drilled a 7/32 hole for the screws. forest river originally sent 1/4" bolts.  I could not use the bolts because tanks were in the way of getting to the backside of the frame.  I had to use screws that were drilled only through the outside frame member.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:00am
Ah, my bad. Should have looked at the photo of the bag.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:40am
When the package with mine arrived, it was split open on the bottom and there was no hardware bag inside, just the four brackets. I did not want to wait on FR sending replacements, so I got the hardware locally to attach two of them to supplement my homemade ones. I am considering adding the other two to the door side.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:32am
I too ordered and received a new set of outriggers to be installed on the door side of the rig,  mine came this time without any bolts, screws unlike the last batch where i received TEK screws,  no worries since I will bolt these through with 1/4 in bolts with lock washers and nuts.  I will review again if I need to cut the channel,  possibly add a shim to take up the space of the channels thickness (1/8 inch?) will see if this will true up to where the frame and floor corner meet.  thanks all for the inspiration to proceed with the other side of the pod,  did not know others were experiencing issues with that sag.   As far as the slide out side,  i only installed them under the slide,   do you suggest that they also should be installed along the frame away from the slide area?
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Nissan Frontier SL V6 4.0 (2019)
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:54am
I'd add flat washers too, spreads the load on the frame tubes. Through bolts are a better solution than self tappers because the dang frame tubes are so dang thin. I think the self tappers are only 14 threads per inch and the tubes are 0.1 inch so that's only 1.4 threads engaged in each tube wall. Not much.

Put the outriggers anywhere you suspect or are concerned you might get sag. Sag has been reported in other areas besides the slide area. Won't hurt anything.

I'd just place a shim rather than cut the channel. Why weaken another part of the trailer?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
LB Boozer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LB Boozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:09am
I too received my outriggers (without mounting hardware) from FR last week and installed one set on the drivers side under the slide and 3 on the passenger side.  I only had one area that was sagging very mildly and also used a bottle jack to get it square.  I used 1" self tapping screws for the areas where the tank was in the way and 3/8' through bolts, with 2" washers, lock washers and locking bolts (all ss).  Took a little while as my pod is off center to the frame so I had to trim and drill new holes for the drivers side outriggers and I trimmed all the aluminum c-channels under to get a nice flush mount.  Hopefully this prevents future issues.
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:12pm
Late to the party unfortunately. Just discovered sagging at the slide-side of my 179 last week when my slide snagged the ottoman when bringing it in. Obvious wall sag below the slide outside and no outriggers for roughly 9' on my 2017.5. Glad to find this thread and great info. Likely I'll put a video out on the fix at some point and may hit some of you up on for more info along the way. I am very glad for this forum!~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:10am
Quick update on purchasing the outriggers for the R-Pod 179, as of 9/13/21 a.m...
I contacted Jenn Weldy at FR (R-Pod Parts) via email (jweldy@forestriverinc.com) with the part number (F100140948 FORMED OUTRIGGER - 4A) and she got back to me pretty much immediately with confirmation that the part is still available. I was instructed to call her to complete the order, which I just did. I purchased 8 units to facilitate potentially adding them to both sides of the trailer. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>