R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers Forest River parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SkiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers Forest River parts
    Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:49am
Hi all, I have a 2016 176 that has a wall sagging on the left (slide) side.  Has anyone had any issues with their 176 like the 179 is having?  The sagging put stress on some wiring and plumbing fitting and caused a pinhole leak.  The dealer I took it to was trying to get it covered under warranty but after some back and forth with me thinking Forest River was going to step up and fix the problem, they finally said they weren't going to cover the claim.  How many of you watched this video about the "superior construction" of the rpod before buying one?  I'm obviously disappointed:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMXneKc_fDo
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:59am
Yeah, that video needs to be categorized as satire.

I don't think there is anything unique about the 179, the slide is just not well supported in any of them. The cantilevered floor panel is just not that strong.

If you don't have water damage then get the add on support bracket d, lift the slide side up back to level and add them.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
SkiPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SkiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:46am
Yes, I do have water damage according to the dealer that submitted the claim.  That could have had something to do with why Forest River denied the claim was because of the labor involved in making those repairs.  Apparently they are forwarding these claims to their vendor Lippert and they said Lippert denied the claim.  I'm assuming Lippert is manufacturing/designing the floor and slide assembly for Forest River?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:09am
I think Lippert just manufacturers the steel frame and axle, FR does the floor and slide.

Try to get a clear understanding of the location and extent of the water damage. That will tell you whether the trailer is salvageable or not. Since the walls are built off the floor it that is compromised it can be very difficult to repair.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:02am
It is likely that Lippert builds the frames to FR specs.  If they complied with the FR specifications, there would be no "defect in materials or workmanship" that would trigger warranty coverage, even if the warranty was transferable.  If the damage is as a result of deficient design, that would be a matter for FR.  If the failure occurred after the warranty expired, in most states recovery for the design defect would be very difficult and the cost would substantially exceed the value of the trailer.  If you add prolonged water intrusion to the mix, it would be even harder to make a case against FR.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
SkiPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SkiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:19am
Based on the fact that FR told me that Lippert "denied" my claim, I am presuming that Lippert is at least manufacturing the floor, but it could be based on FR specs. Either way, it looks like FR may be blaming Lippert since they sent my claim to Lippert. There's no question that bringing a lawsuit would exceed the cost of the trailer.  But the law in some state allows attorney's fees and treble damages to be recovered where misrepresentations relied on by the buyer can be proven, even if the warranty coverage is waived or not applicable.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:39am
The construction videos clearly show FR manufacturing the floor and installing it on the frame provided by Lippert. If the frame or axle were bent thenvthat could be a claim against Lippert if their warranty requirements were otherwise met. But not the floor itself. Since there is no mention of frame damage there is no reason to expect Lippert to accept warranty responsibility.

As for FR there is specific language requiring the owner to check plumbing for leaks IIRC. Check your maintenance requirements. So if your water damage was due to a plumbing leak that was not corrected FR has yet another justication for denial of your claim, the others being time and ownership.

In my opinion you won't get satisfaction from FR, too many warrant limitations are . The outrigger brackets are an easy fix if you water damage is minor. If it's severe you are sadly looking at a total loss.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:28am
SkiPod, Lippert makes the chassis on which the floor is mounted.  Their stuff is painted black.  FR made the floor, including the aluminum framing.  If the chassis, assuming it was shipped "FOB," had a bend in it before it was loaded at the Lippert plant, then their warranty may apply.  If it was bent during FR's handling of it, then there is no defect in materials or workmanship, but rather damage by a 3rd party, i.e. FR or the shipper.

Yes, the laws in some states favor claims by consumers, but Texas is among the least favorable to consumers.  Additionally, it may be problematical for you to prove that FR made a misrepresentation to you in particular, much less that you actually purchased the trailer based upon the alleged false representation.  The video cited in this thread is not a misrepresentation to you personally.  Indeed, it is simply product puffing, like the widget manufacturer that says they make the prettiest widgets in the world.  Even in the most consumer oriented of states, your chance of proving actionable fraud and recovering treble or punitive damages are right in there with a snowball's chance in hell.  

I hope your trailer is repairable with the floor reinforcement.  It would be a shame if it is not, but, like buying a used car without a warranty, it's always a problem of buyer beware.  Check your purchase contract to see if it was "sold as is" or came with some kind of seller's warranty.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 1:06pm
With everything 'I' dug into, during my issue, Lippert is frame/axle. FR does Cabin. Even though the joists in mine did break loose, Lippert added the outriggers. The outriggers on mine were made by the welder onsite with material both he and my dealership had on hand. I bought from this particular dealership (Cold Springs RV) because they have the largest RV repair center in our area. They did very well by me! 

FR stating Lippert rejected the claim is like them saying I rejected the claim.. Neither of us had anything to do with it! 

From all I have talked to, adding the outriggers (on both sides) has fixed the issue. IMHO, well worth the cost to add them. To this, I believe the jury is still out as to bolting or welding these on. I personally fall into the group of though that welding is better, yet having outriggers is the main goal.

Safe Travels
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
K. Frost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote K. Frost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 10:30am
The damage to my 2017.5 179 was a little more severe. I first noticed a small amount of buckling in the fiberglass along the lower trim rail on the slide side. Took it to the shop and while it was on their lot, the other side (door side) developed the same type of buckling. The side walls had dropped on both sides. The repair shop said that they had never seen a trailer without the outrigger supports. They are a FR dealer but don't sell R-Pods. They contacted FR and were told that it is a known issue. So after 3 months of discussion, all FR was willing to do is provide the supports and compensate for one hour labor. However, the shop could not get them to send the supports. I told them to fix it before it go worse. I'll be picking it up this week and the bill is $5800. About $900 for jacking up the sides and installing 10 custom made brackets that were welded on. The remaindrr if the cost covers repairing the fiberglass and installing black diamond plate over both sides to "hide" the repairs. It's a KNOWN ISDUE, for which there was no recall and collateral damage can and does occur.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>