R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers Forest River parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers Forest River parts
    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 11:10am
Originally posted by StephenH

It looks like the factory ones were made to be attached to both. I may have to revisit mine and put a couple of screws in at the outside edge close to the wall also.

No need. The slide resting on the brackets will keep it from sagging. Gravity being what it is its not like you have to hold the slide down because its going to see negative g loads and be wanting to jump up in the air.LOL

Did you use long TEK screws and go through both walls of the frame tubes? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 11:32am
No, I used shorter ones. Would it be better to go through both walls?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 12:15pm
StephenH, I think what you did is fine, there really isn't that much load on the screws. You also used more than two per bracket, right? 

The reason I asked is because it looks like FR's kit is designed to run a long TEK screw through both frame walls. Not having ever tried to do that with a TEK screw I wonder how controllable that is, as does JA-Pod and mjlrpod. Since you haven't tried it either I think I'll stick to the recommendation with FR's kit to add a backing plate and use through bolts. 

I don't think you need to change anything you did unless you see some kind of issue we're not thinking of.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 1:26pm
If I do see it not holding, I will go with a backing plate and bolts. I used four screws per bracket. I expect that will be more than sufficient.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by StephenH

If I do see it not holding, I will go with a backing plate and bolts. I used four screws per bracket. I expect that will be more than sufficient.

+1
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JA-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:40pm
I had a great opportunity to meet with StephenH today (lives nearby in the Raleigh area).  We discussed a bit about the outriggers and more of his mods,  impressive!   So with the help of offgrid and mjlrpod   recommendations I will go with the backing plate with bolts through the frame,  makes the most sense.  I will post pics when the project is completed.  thanks all for the discussion,  this really helps to hear from a group of well versed and talented "engineers" 
Cheers!
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Nissan Frontier SL V6 4.0 (2019)
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:27pm
Thanks John. It was a pleasure meeting you. I'm glad we could meet. Thanks for bringing one of the brackets by. It was good to compare mine with the factory version. I like mine better but the factory ones look to be more than adequate.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:00am
Stephen, JA-Pod,Offgrid and others--
do you think all of the 179's should add these outriggers proactively as a precaution even if there is no evidence of sag?
I am happy to add them to our 179 if you think it is a good idea. I plan to keep ours for a long time.
Thanks for your input
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:24am
Good question. I have the same thoughts, no sag at this point in mine either. But it certainly can't hurt to add them, I'm leaning toward doing so. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:41am
With all the talk about the outriggers I checked my 179 it's a 2019 model year and to my surprise I have 3 factory installed (welded on with screws into the exterior wall) outriggers one on either side of the wheel and one below the refrig (all are under the slideout).  Nothing on the passenger side of the trailer.

I haven't noticed any sagging in the flooring.   
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>