R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Outriggers Forest River parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outriggers Forest River parts
    Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 4:52pm
Doesn't seem to be any water damage.  Everything seems to be sealed but the floor slopes down only does it on the rear portion of the slide out not on the forward portion.  I plan on jacking it up slowly tomorrow and see how it goes.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:03am
If it's dry you should be ok. If unsure get a wood moisture meter. Inexpensive and very handy tool to have around. You can also check water content in firewood, leaks around windows at home, etc.

moisture meter
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:08pm
I got everything jacked up and in place.  Lot of weight on those brackets I am going to order some more brackets.  If I can just get this POS to last 2 or 3 years I will be happy.  Why in the world didn't FR extend the chassis out further closer to the edge of the trailer?  This would never have happened if they did.  If it was a known issue or in this case a predictable issue it is just rediculous to have to retrofit this with a questionable fix.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:04pm
If they moved the frame out the floor would just sag worse in the center instead (there are plenty of cases of center sagging too).

They were trying to make the lightest cheapest floor possible and use a cantilever arrangement with overhangs on each side to make it work. Cantilevers are used all the time to extend the span of beams, and they generally work well.

The problem here is the thin lauan sandwich loses stiffness over time so while the cantilever design is sound in concept in practice it didn't work.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:22pm
Well I have ordered 4 more brackets.....probably only need 2 but I want some spares just in case i need them.  I agree with the floor sag in the middle but they could have added braces during construction and are doing so now.  I don't think the braces a strong enough for what they are trying to support but we will see.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:25pm
I saw a new 179. The outriggers are now factory installed. That does not help those of us with older RPods, but it is good to know that FR recognized the problem and has actually done something to address it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 9:30pm
Stephen
did you notice where  FR located the outriggers?  How many are there? On both sides?
Any other info?
Thank you

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 8:22am
Unfortunately, I did not take pictures. I think there were four. I only looked on the slide-side. They seemed to be evenly spaced. I did notice that they were welded to the frame and looked to have a rather sturdy bolt coming down through the end.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 8:38am
The braces are plenty strong enough. There is really very little weight on them, rpod walls are very light. The problem isn't that the loads are high it's that the floor is weak. Having to add the braces is a patch on the underlying (pun intended) problem. FR should put a stronger floor in rpods.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 9:01am
I just noticed when I unloaded the jack you could see the support was trying to bend.  I added another brace and it seemed to hold much better.  I think because it had been sagged for so long it took a lot of pressure to get it back level.  I am hoping that once it settles a bit it will be okay.  I still think I need to add 2 more supports.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>