R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: An open discussion about links to the other forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAn open discussion about links to the other forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: An open discussion about links to the other forum
    Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 3:28pm
Bump.

Also, if anyone wants to suggest any improvements feel free to start a new topic.  Maybe under the Misc forum (where this thread probably should be).  One possible topic of discussion is adding/removing sub-forums here, to make more sense.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:17am

OK...I'll break my self imposed silence and speak on this topic - because I feel it is important.

As many of you are new and probably don't know me, I used to own an RP173 and

participated in both forums, as much as time allowed. I should have been "koshier"; ie. owning

a Pod and having purchased it from "the nation sort of place". Without going into details, let's just say it became clear to me that I was not one of the gang on the other forum. I became frustrated and just quit checking in to both. I have since purchased another TT which suits my individual needs much better (not a Pod or FR product). I say the aforementioned so you know where I am comming from.

I think it important that this forum continue in the spirit that it began and seems to continue. Unfortunately, it will likely always be at a disadvantage, in that the other has a continual suppy of new persons - directed to it (only) by the dealer who owns that site. There are a "core" number of members who happliy do quite a bit of work for the dealer (answering questions such as; do I need a WD hitch, how do I winterize, how do I grease bearings, etc.) and in doing so, ease the dealer's work load and (more importantly) shift any liability away from the dealer - should things go wrong ( "I didn't tell you to do that"). If these persons are not getting some sort of material reimbusement from the dealer, they should be! But, then again, they could be considered as operating on behalf of the dealer and the liability would return. If I were a dealer, I would love the situation - getting to have my cake and eat it too. Think about it.

The premise of this forum is far better. However, again it will always be disadvantaged. I have seen many come and go (on both forums). Perhaps they were/are like me. Perhaps something different.

I would not disagree with any of the posts in this thread - they are all good. I do look in from time to time as I like many of those who post here. I have no explaination why some are exclusively loyal to one forum only (possibly they are the "big fish" in that pond, as opposed to just being like everyone else here?) - I dunno?

I agree that censoring links would be counterproductive and contrary to the premise of this forum. It's strenght (openess) also seems to be it's weakness. You can't have your cake and eat it, here.

Ask yourself..."How long would this post last on the other forum?" I think Big Bit knows that answer.

Again, keep doing what you are doing and, perhaps, incorporate some of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. Being the biggest doesn't mean you are the best. You'll not likely ever have more members than the other because of the above. But, I'll take quality over quantity any day.

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 12:30am
Welcome Back David!  You are always welcome to stop here.  What did you trade over to?
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 12:31am
Amen to that, David.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 9:45am
First off, I think a wiki would be a great addition.  General Maintenance, How To's, Winterizing, etc...   

As far as links to the "other" forum.  I understand the frustration of the mods with this.  I also understand that no one really wants to post everything twice, once on each forum and links make it much easier.  However, if it's a one way road, I would just encourage the community not to link to the other site.  I wouldn't ban it or remove links, just ask that if it's reasonable to do, just repost the information (assuming it was their post, not someone else's).  Unfortunately, there really is no good solution for this other than lump it.

Secondly, I do understand a dealership not wanting people sending potential customers away, even and especially in California.   The original 'Pod I was looking at was a 172, the price at Couch's was ~12k.  The price in CA?  $16k or more.   The cost to have it shipped?  ~$1500-2000, making purchasing at the east coast and shipping it over very tempting.   I was lucky (good?) and talked the dealer in CA (of which there are only 2) into matching the price plus shipping which dropped the price of the 177 by $4000.  Point being, it's understandable for a business to not want you to point people elsewhere for a good deal when they are trying to sell the same thing.  

Now, if they don't sell what someone is looking for, that's a whole different beast and it's already been proven that a business that will help a customer find what they need, even if they don't sell it, that person will most likely come back when they do need something that they do sell.

Bottom line:  Wiki = good.

-Runebane
RP-177
KSinclair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 11:34am
At the risk of repeating something that's probably already been said here, the fact that the two forums have an identical format, right down to the forum topics, is incredibly confusing.  When I first googled "Rpod Forum" it took me some while to realize that these were two distinct forums.  Is it possible to use different forum software and bring a different look to this forum?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 4:10pm
Thanks rpodcamper and ToddsPod.  I don't know that I am "back",  but I'll kind of play things by ear for a while.  As you read my post, you probably get the (correct) idea that I don't feel really warm and fuzzy about the other forum.   My opening comments were intended to let the readers know that, yes, I do harbor ill feelings and they should keep that in mind when reading the post. 

Given my position, I need to consider anything I might post; so as not to offend the members here and (overly)promote products other than the Pod (it is an Rpod forum, after all).  I still have nothing against the Pod itself....it is a nice, "right" unit, if it fills a persons wants/needs.  My position, stated many times, is that the people are more important than the camping unit they sleep in.

So, I'll consider telling what I bought and post it (maybe with pictures) in another topic, if it seems appropriate and to be well received.  I will give you some hints:  It has a real awning, a "dry" bath with vanity and med cabinet, is about one foot longer than the Pod and seven feet wide, with dual axles and dual propane.  It has a standard queen bed - so I can shortly replace the cheapo RV matress with a REAL one. 

Back to the original theme of this thread, I would add that I don't necessarily agree that changing the forum so it "looks" different than the other would do a lot to increase membership activity.  I look a several RV/camping forums and they are all about the same, with the same sort of topics, questions, yada, yada.  It might give this forum more of a "separate" identity, but I'm sure there are costs, ect. involved in doing this.  The bottom line for me (going back to the people thing) are questions I ask myself; do I want to take time out of my life to sit in front of the PC and interact with a particular group of people?  When I do, do I get up from my chair feeling better or worse, happy or upset.  Did I "connect" with anyone, or did I just waist time sending typed characters out into the mysterious cloud of the internet?   I agree that a forum is only as good as the last 50 posts (and the people who posted them). 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 5:16pm

Ooops!  I forgot a suggestion I wanted to make earlier.

There is a way to see how many people read your posts ( and I can't remember how off the top of my head).  However, there may be something to provide some thought.

Last winter, I did a tread titled "Rocky Mountain High", with a series of pictures and a short naration/story to go with them.  I (intentionally) spaced it out over a few days - to give people something to read, look at and to keep checking back.  People seemed to like it as, if memory serves, it was viewed over 300 times.  At the time, membership was less than 100, again, if memory serves.  My other typical posts were usually less than 10% of that.

Suggestion:  Other members - don't be bashful about taking pictures of your trips and posting them.

Moderators - if there is anyway to raise the 500KB limit on picture files,  you would be helping a lot.  It is very time consuming to take a 1.8MB picture and get it down to less than 500KB (and still have something of any quality).

Give them something interesting to read/look at and they will come!
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by David

Ooops!  I forgot a suggestion I wanted to make earlier.

There is a way to see how many people read your posts ( and I can't remember how off the top of my head).  However, there may be something to provide some thought.

Last winter, I did a tread titled "Rocky Mountain High", with a series of pictures and a short naration/story to go with them.  I (intentionally) spaced it out over a few days - to give people something to read, look at and to keep checking back.  People seemed to like it as, if memory serves, it was viewed over 300 times.  At the time, membership was less than 100, again, if memory serves.  My other typical posts were usually less than 10% of that.

Suggestion:  Other members - don't be bashful about taking pictures of your trips and posting them.

Moderators - if there is anyway to raise the 500KB limit on picture files,  you would be helping a lot.  It is very time consuming to take a 1.8MB picture and get it down to less than 500KB (and still have something of any quality).

Give them something interesting to read/look at and they will come!

That's a great idea David. A picture is worth a thousand words, or 1.8M pixels. I really enjoy seeing the pictures on here. Unfortunately I have trouble viewing many of the pictures and I'm not sure if it's my computer, my connection or the website doing this. I know others have experienced this as well. I can see the posts, and all the texts, but the pictures don't show up, just blank space. Has anyone else seen this (corrected this)?

-T

ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 11:21pm
To be honest, when I first started visiting the forums, I looked at the total number of posts, which can be seen at the bottom of the home page. Owners was in the 4000s, Nation was in the 20,000s. I'm sure it's because N has had quite a head start. I have to say I disagree with their tactics, though I see where they're coming from, they are a business, and are trying to keep in business. I still look on the other site, but I feel there's a need for this site as well.

It's the same reason I don't do all my shopping at Walmart. Sometimes the prices are lower, and it can be more convenient, but if we all do all our shopping at Big Blue we eliminate their competition, small as it may be, and society suffers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>