R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane Tank Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane Tank Issue
    Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:56pm
Found this:
To help narrow down the decision much quicker the Lippert has restrictions on its use so we can cut that one out of the running (it is only compatible with up to 2 axles and won't work with 2014 or newer GM trucks and SUVs equipped with an integrated trailer brake control module).

Seems like the Hayes is easier to set up.....and as you indicated it only works after 45 mph....what happens if it loses GPS signal?

/
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:29pm
I mounted mine up higher because I have a Stromberg-Carlsen Trailer Tray that blocks a good part of the sky above the Hayes unit if mounted on the A frame, so I mounted it on the Trailer Tray instead so it would have a clearer view of the sky. I think it would be like a navigation GPS. There are enough satellites that it might lose sight of some, but then gain sight of others. So far, it has not been a problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:15am
I've had gps loss of signal many many times. You have to have good signals from a minimum of 4 satellites for it to work. If you are in a tunnel, canyon, or urban building canyon that is frequently not the case. If the Hayes device depended on gps to work I doubt they could sell it, the liability risk would be extremely high. Probably the software defaults to assume the speed is >45 when there is no gps speed, allowing the system to operate when gps is not available. That might be a bit annoying if it didn't distinguish sway from turns but it would it would be safer.

Technically a moving body can have 6 degrees of freedom (pitch, roll, yaw, surge, heave, and sway). StephenH already described pitch, roll, and yaw.  Surge, heave, and sway are accelerations fore/aft, up/down, and side to side.

But I think what we call trailer sway is really yaw, at least initially, by the time it becomes actual significant side to side movement its probably getting to be too late to correct safely. So, after my previous comment on the Tucson device I rethought it and I think it probably uses a MEMS gyro to directly measure yaw. The Lippert device looks like it measures both yaw with a gyro and sway with an accelerometer.

To be clear, none of these will have old school rotating gyros, the MEMS devices are micro-electromechanical systems that use vibrating structures fabricated like IC's instead of rotating parts. Sensors measure the forces produced when the orientation of the vibrating structures changes. Cheap, small, and reliable. 

Since the motion of a swaying trailer is quite different from a turning rig I don't think should be necessary to use gps to distinguish the two.   After all, your butt certainly doesn't need to know how fast you are going to differentiate sway from turns.  And it looks like 2 of the 3 vendors take that approach.  For one thing the frequency of the trailer in sway is much higher than when turning. Unless maybe you are running a gymkhana in your rig LOL.  

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234