R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane Tank Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane Tank Issue
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:28pm
I absolutely intend to make sure all is okay.  When it was weighed it was 3071 and I don't intend to carry water.  I tried to leave my TV out of the discussion as I was only interested in changing the propane tanks.   The TV has plenty of HP to pull as I have done it, issue for me is a class 2 hitch.  
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by offgrid

The dry weight is meaningless. If you haven't weighed it loaded (batteries, water, options, gear, food, tools, clothing, etc etc) then do that before you do anything else. I think you will be surprised, I was. 

I respect your ObieWan position here, but the OP already said he would not be packing water, would be loading light.  Has towed the trailer some distance and is content with the performance.

Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Dirt Sifter

I respect your ObieWan position here, but the OP already said he would not be packing water, would be loading light.  Has towed the trailer some distance and is content with the performance.

Not being a big Star Wars fan, I have no idea what an "Obi-Wan position" might be, so I will take at face value that it is not meant as an insult of some kind. 

This is not a performance issue, its a safety issue. When you start considering moving weight to the rear of a trailer to get the tongue weight down and that results in a tongue weight at or below 10%, then warning bells should be starting to ring. 

My suggestion was that pedwards weigh the trailer fully loaded with whatever he plans to actually carry, and to also consider the weight that will be in the tow vehicle. If he is satisfied that that is within the specs of his TV and he's comfortable with that then that's fine. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:31pm
Obi-Wan was the mentor to Luke Skywalker, teaching him the ways of the Force. It was a compliment.

Okay. the TV is a factor now. What is it if the concern is a class 2 hitch? What is the tow capacity? A class 2 hitch is a 1-1/4" hitch rated up to 3,500 lbs. Now if it is a 2" hitch, then it might be a class 3 hitch.

I would be leery of hitching up an RPod if it really is a Class 2 hitch.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:48pm
It has a 2" reciever.......so it is a class 3?....sorry.  The rated tow for vehicle is 3500.  It is a factory tow package with transmission cooler and anti sway.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:03pm
It definitely is listed as a Class II with a tow rating of 3500.  The reciever is a 2".

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:32pm
Checked in Ford Escape Manual on towing and it can handle 350 lb tongue weight.   I can balance it to get that just by getting rid of one of the #30 tanks.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:09pm
Okay. I towed our 179 with a 2016 Ford Escape SE until we hit ice with a crosswind. Now I tow with a 2010 Nissan Frontier LE 4x4. I did use an Equal-i-zer hitch with it. While it can be done, the vehicle is marginal for the task. Don't exceed 60 mph if you don't want to stop every 100 miles for premium gasoline. If you have a stiff headwind, it is like towing faster, and your mileage will drop. I used a Purpleline AeroPlus wind deflector with the Escape. It worked well, and it did help with the mileage. It doesn't help with the Frontier though as it sits too far ahead of the trailer to do any good. You can see it if you look at my early mods pictures.

Since I have no idea where you live, I don't know if you would be close enough that it would be practical for you to get the AeroPlus that I have. I was going to take it to the FROG rally this past summer, but that got cancelled. Ultimately, you do need a tow vehicle with both a higher tow rating and a proper Class 3 hitch and a larger gas tank. Did your Escape come with the factory tow package? The 3,500 lb rating is for that. If it is an aftermarket hitch, then it does not have the 3,500 lb rating. It would also lack the transmission cooler which is very important, especially if you have to climb some long mountain slopes.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 11:04pm
It is the factory tow package hitch with anti-sway and transmission cooler.  I never go over 60 towing especially with a single axle....I have been pulling trailers for 50 years.  My main concern with this was getting the tongue weight into specs.  I will make sure the trailer weight works as well.  I was burning premium but I was getting 16mpg so it wasn't so bad and it towed nicely.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 11:36pm
Okay. You must have been on flat land and had a tailwind. The best I ever got was about 16 mpg. With a headwind, it was more like 12-13 mpg. As for anti-sway, are you talking vehicle stability control or an actual brake controller for the trailer brakes? Unless Ford has changed things dramatically, the Escape did not come with a brake controller. I had to run the wiring myself for the one I installed. It wasn't fun. If you don't have a brake controller, you need one before you tow again to be legal. As for anti-sway, the Escape I had did have stability control, but not trailer anti-sway. If it has it, it still only controls the vehicle's brakes, not the trailer brakes. The last thing you need is to be passed by the back end of your trailer while you are trying to slow down. I've been there and it isn't pleasant. (see http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9133&PID=86002&title=i-wrecked-our-escapod#86002 ).

I was always impressed with the power of the 2L Ecoboost engine. I am sure the newer ones have more improvements. That probably explains the 16 mpg. It wasn't until I installed the Purpleline AeroPlus on ours before I saw 16 mpg while towing, and that was only if we did not have a headwind.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>