R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane Tank Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane Tank Issue
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:30pm
Just got a RP189. The original owner was using it to live in for extended periods so it has 2 - #30 tanks in the front so it added a lot to tongue weight ~400.  I don't think I need that much propane/weight.  I could cut it back to 2 - #20 tanks they weigh ~38lbs each filled.  The 30s are 54lbs each filled.  I would have to get a new shorter threaded rod. So that is about 32lbs off the tongue.  I could go with one 30 but I have a bracket set up for 2.  Is there a way to set up the mount to hold just one tank?  
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 4:15pm
You could remove the double mount and install a single tank mount. However, your tongue weight of 400# is not excessive. The weight on the tongue should be 10-15% of the loaded trailer's weight. Let's say the trailer weighs 3000# loaded. That means between 300 and 450 is okay for tongue weight. Now, if your tow vehicle has a lower limitation, that could be an issue. Since you did not say what tow vehicle you have and the tow capacity, it would only be guessing for me to say whether you are okay or not.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 5:01pm
It is the TV capacity that I am considering.  I have a 2017 Ford Escape with the 2.0 litre 245hp Eco Boost.  It has the factory tow package with translmission cooler and anti sway.  Since it is a class 2 hitch I believe the tongue weight max is 300.  And I know this is a marginal TV but the measured weight on the trailer is 3071 and I don't plan on carrying water and will pack lite.  I brought it back from Pennsylvania to Virginia and the car was able to pull it easily at 55 to 60 which I don't intend to go over.  I got 16 mpg.  I just don't think I need that much propane or weight as the tongue weight concerns me.  I assume the r-pod came originally with a single tank mount but I haven't seen any of the single mounts online.
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 5:27pm
Most RPods did come with a single tank. Sounds like you are knowledgeable enough to have looked, but is it possible the double mount is bolted over the single tank holder. The single base on both of mine sat below the top level of the A frame between the arms so I'm thinking the double would have to sit above it, across the top of the frame. Seems to me I thought about adding a second tank at one point, but didn't want to lose the turning capability and could put the second tank in the bed of the pickup if needed. Safe travels! :-)
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 5:34pm
I thought about putting one tank secured in the rear of the trailer while towing and then installing when I got to campgound.  This would remove 54 lbs from front and add 54 to rear which would get me to 300.  Just not sure how safe it is to carry the tank in the trailer.  I have a spare tire bracket in the rear of trailer not sure if I could make some set up to carry spare tank there.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 5:35pm
I will look at it tomorrow to see if the old mount is under the the new one.  Thanks.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 6:59pm
When you say the measured weight of the 189 is 3071, how was it measured and under what loading conditions? The listed unloaded weight or the 189 is 3075. Its hard to imagine that an actual real world trailer loaded for travel with water, batteries etc would only weigh 3071.

You do not want to be at 300 lbs tongue weight on even a 3071 lb trailer, and its worst if it weighs more. Anything near or under 10% tongue weight is susceptible to sway. It it was me I'd rather be at 400 lbs and overweight on the tongue than risk creating a sway situation. 

The highest tow rating I see for the Escape is 3500 lbs. That is just plain too low for that trailer. Tow ratings assume there are no passengers or cargo in the tow vehicle, which is of course not the case. Instead of trying to get the tongue weight down on your trailer and risking sway, get a tow vehicle with adequate capacity to tow the trailer and a reasonable amount of gear both in the trailer and TV. You do not have that with the rig you have right now. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:12pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:15pm
I had it weighed and the factory weighed it before delivery.  I intend to make sure I am within specs loaded. The specs listed are:

Dry Weight

2,773 lbs.

Payload Capacity

989 lbs.

Hitch Weight

281 lbs.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:19pm
The dry weight is meaningless. If you haven't weighed it loaded (batteries, water, options, gear, food, tools, clothing, etc etc) then do that before you do anything else. I think you will be surprised, I was. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>