R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane Tank Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane Tank Issue
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 5:01pm
It is the TV capacity that I am considering.  I have a 2017 Ford Escape with the 2.0 litre 245hp Eco Boost.  It has the factory tow package with translmission cooler and anti sway.  Since it is a class 2 hitch I believe the tongue weight max is 300.  And I know this is a marginal TV but the measured weight on the trailer is 3071 and I don't plan on carrying water and will pack lite.  I brought it back from Pennsylvania to Virginia and the car was able to pull it easily at 55 to 60 which I don't intend to go over.  I got 16 mpg.  I just don't think I need that much propane or weight as the tongue weight concerns me.  I assume the r-pod came originally with a single tank mount but I haven't seen any of the single mounts online.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 4:15pm
You could remove the double mount and install a single tank mount. However, your tongue weight of 400# is not excessive. The weight on the tongue should be 10-15% of the loaded trailer's weight. Let's say the trailer weighs 3000# loaded. That means between 300 and 450 is okay for tongue weight. Now, if your tow vehicle has a lower limitation, that could be an issue. Since you did not say what tow vehicle you have and the tow capacity, it would only be guessing for me to say whether you are okay or not.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:30pm
Just got a RP189. The original owner was using it to live in for extended periods so it has 2 - #30 tanks in the front so it added a lot to tongue weight ~400.  I don't think I need that much propane/weight.  I could cut it back to 2 - #20 tanks they weigh ~38lbs each filled.  The 30s are 54lbs each filled.  I would have to get a new shorter threaded rod. So that is about 32lbs off the tongue.  I could go with one 30 but I have a bracket set up for 2.  Is there a way to set up the mount to hold just one tank?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234