Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My New TV
    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:21am
Offgrid: Thanks for the links. I had not heard of the VW hybrid.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 8:43am
Yeah no shortage of 'good ol boys' in either camp, certainly big gas and diesel motors are sometimes  associated with hooligans and outlaws and their modified, and very loud and polluting pick-em-up-trucks....

On the subsidies, tax breaks, carbon offsets. etc, that happens on both sides of the aisle, lots of 'palm greasing' in politics and energy. Think about electricity generated with coal...for example...or natural gas...it would get very complex in a hurry to try to sort out all of the 'hidden' benefits and subsidies to either one.

Hybrids and 'plug-in hybrids' get lumped together but a plug-in gets some or maybe most of its energy from the grid when operated locally. A regular ol' run-of-the-mill hybrid like a Prius is still pulling up to the gas pumps once in awhile...so it's not an EV in the true sense, so I'm not referring to a Prius or other hybrids when I use the term 'EV'

I have a friend who has owned a first gen Prius since it was new and he has over 300,000 miles on it and I believe he has changed that big battery once? Not sure...I'd have to check. I think he said he typically sees 60 mpg if he cruises at about 60 mph.

Amazing....way better than my old motorcycle!

But you would not be able to tow an r-pod with it....darnit.

And you have to enter the cost of that battery in the overall cost of fuel or cost-per-mile. They aint cheap.

Ying Yang

The average diesel powered semi truck hauling freight, about 100,000 miles per year, contributes between $8,000 and $10,000 per year (into the highway funds of the national and state coffers) JUST in motorfuel taxes. Now multiply that times all the class 8 trucks on the road...trust me that is a LOT of money that would be gone if they suddenly could replace them all with electric semi's (which will NOT happen to any large degree in our lifetime).

But suppose it could happen...would you want all of those EV semi trucks driving for 'free'...not paying their fair share to support the roads and highways they use? I'm guessing anyone's answer is 'no'...because the feds and the states have to come up with the money SOMEHOW.

As has been said once or twice...there aint no free lunch...because, sooner or later, SOMEBODY has to pay the bill.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 6:52am
Podwerks,  I agree that fair is fair, So, when the fossil fuel industry subsidies and tax breaks are phased out then we can talk about ending ev road subsidies too. That's not even considering the externalities. And if some ev drivers do want to pat each other on the back, who cares? Its not harming anyone, no reason to resent it, unlike when ICE vehicle owners deliberately park blocking ev charging stations, which happens quite a bit. 

StephenH, I fully agree that in your case ev's are not ready. Nor in mine when I tow. But around 60% of American families have more than one vehicle, and about 1/3 have 3 or more. Not all of those families could consider one of those vehicles being an ev, but most could. That is an enormous market and would absorb the ev manufacturing capacity for years. It would also accelerate the deployment of fast chargers which would in turn improve the acceptance of ev's to more and more people. It took what maybe 50 years to build out the fuel service infrastructure we have now? 

In my case for example, there isn't any reason why I couldn't swap my Prius for an ev. I really like the idea of never stopping at a gas station (especially during Covid) and came close to swapping it for a Chevy Bolt this year ( I'm not personally considering a Tesla just 'cause). The terrible seats got me, I have a bad back. What's with GM anyway?  They make a great little car in almost every way and then cheap out on one little thing....That is supposed to be fixed for next year, we'll see. 

A diesel/electric hybrid, like a gas/electric hybrid like my Prius, is still an ICE vehicle, just a more efficient one. There is the Highlander Hybrid, which I think several members tow their rPods with, but it is only rated for 3500 lbs vs 5000 for my gasser, not sure why. 

I doubt that a Hi Hi is going to show much improvement in  fuel economy over the conventional V6 version while towing because the hp requirements are going to keep the ICE running pretty much all the time. Hybrids gain much of their efficiency by shutting off the ICE when hp requirements are low, and by regen braking. So most of the benefit comes in city driving (I get 45-50 mpg in the Prius whether I'm in town, on country roads, or on the freeway). Most hybrids also get improved efficiency by operating as Atkinson cycle engines which give them a longer expansion stroke than compression stroke at the expense of power density (which is made up for via the electric motor). I think the Hi Hi has a regular Otto cycle ICE. 

A diesel electric hybrid probably offers less improvement advantages than a gas/electric one does.

Even so, VW was heading that way before the infamous dieselgate scandal killed their diesel business. They even reached limited production on this 260 mpg baby. Can't tow much with it though...

mjlrpod, not forever but probably you'd gain a few years if it came down to a choice between a daily dose of artery putty (big mac and fries) and a daily trip to that salad bar.LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by offgrid

We all have choices to make. You can have a Big Mac or a salad for lunch. Neither is free but one is good for your health, the other will kill you eventually but your taste buds might be happier in the meantimeLOL

So, if I eat salad for lunch everyday, I will live forever?? This is great news. I'm gonna rent me a seasonal site at the local salad bar  Heh
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 3:41pm
As for the taxing by miles, unless there is some way to specify in-state and out-of-state mileage, I would object to that. If I'm towing out west and not in my own state, I'm already paying taxes to the state in which I am towing. I would object to paying taxes on those miles again. by paying based on simple miles driven per year. However, it would be good to start a separate topic for that discussion.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 3:07pm
I have just one question: How many channels does it pick up?Wink
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 2:18pm
Offgrid, You make a valid point about viability of alternatives to ICE powered vehicles. In some circumstances such as short distances, battery operated vehicles may be perfectly suitable. However, for long-haul towing like we have done, I don't see it as viable yet. That may change some day. However, charging will have to be made more friendly to those towing. The way most of them I have seen are set up, they are around the perimeter of a parking lot. One would need to unhitch and drive over for a charge, then re-hitch in order to get back on the road. That is impractical. One can't pull in hitched without blocking other charging stations or parking spaces. I can pull into a gas pump while hitched up with no problems.

This is a UK site, but it does point some of these things out. https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/switched-on-towing-electric-tow-cars

A Diesel-electric hybrid might be practical if the Diesel is being used to generate electricity for the motive force like in train engines with batteries for short distance use. If the Diesel (or gasoline) engine could then be run at a constant speed, it would likely simplify the emissions controls over an engine that has to control emissions over a wide range of engine speeds and loads.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 11:30am
As I said above, there is no such thing as a free lunch, be it a vegan salad or a delicious bacon cheeseburger.  When we look at the real cost of stuff it always turns out to be far more expensive than we anticipate.  It's just that we expect our grand children to pay for it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 11:18am
Well yeah, I know some cities now have a 'rain tax'...the more square footage of roofing and pavement you have, the more tax you pay for rain runoff. 

Is that silly or what? Well...maybe it is....cuz it's designed to put money in the government wallet, but maybe it isnt so silly when you think about all the rain runoff and the expensive infrastructure built to handle it. 

But my primary concern is that the roads, bridges, tunnels, gutters, intersection controls, etc etc are generally paid for (to one extent or another, directly or indirectly) thru motorfuel taxes. 

EV owners dont pay those when they plug in to the home EV charger or pull the 'rope starter'...I mean click 'START' on the app, and head over to grandma's house or uptown to the nice trendy bistro where they can pat each other on the back for doing their fair share of reducing carbon footprints or whatever.

But they sure dont mind driving on roads and highways and streets that are being paid for by the 'ICE' vehicles they seem to abhor...some of them do, anyway.

I'm not being political either, but fair is fair. Time to figure this out...and trust me, they WILL.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 10:45am
Without wanting to be political, maybe when we look at tax policies, we should look at the full cost of every motive energy system, be it gasoline or unicorns.  If we consider the entire cost from initial production to the social cost of the health and environmental effects, we could adjust the taxes so that everyone pays a fair share of the true cost of transportation.  Rarely do we ever consider the real cost of our consumption of the earths resources.  If we did, we'd be a lot more considerate of Mother Earth.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>