R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy did you choos an Rpod over others?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did you choos an Rpod over others?
    Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 9:14pm

We love the 35 gallon gray and black tanks!  The R-Pod is the only TT its size with tanks this size.  Also, it's the only TT with all the features we wanted that can be pulled (barely) with our Escape.

Beth and Joe
2011 Prime Time Tracer 195M
2010 Toyota Tacoma
uphillracer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 1:27pm
After deciding against both extremes - 5th wheel and PUP - we decided on a compact TT. I researched Casita, used Airstream, Outback, Camp-inn, Scamp, MPG, Poderosa, Jayco and others I can't even recall anymore.  We finally selected the RPOD 171 which we will pick up this Thursday at RV Nation!
Features - W/G/B water capacities, Queen bed, shower/potty;
Size - 18'4" outside - spouse feels comftable she can learn to drive with it; Inside - enough for a couple with an Italian Greyhound and a Whippet;
Perception of build quality and improvements to this newest 171 model;
Price - compared to ALL the others - we concluded this was a VERY well priced vehicle. I recently got soliciting emails advertizing price drops on the MPG but I didn't think it was a good as or as well priced as the RPOD;
Dealer - working with Brannon and Jeff at RV Nation was a pleasure as was arranging everything about the transaction. The price didn't hurt one bit compared to alternatives with less features and capabilities.
Shape - my spouse was in love with the teardrop shape.
We will tow with a Land Rover LR3 so I don't anticipate any issues - more than enough weight on the TV and more than adequate HP and torque. 
We are looking forward to our maiden voyage back from Hamilton OH. While we are experienced back packers and campers the "towing" learning curve begins.
Uphill
Uphill, Di, Tracer & Jorja
2011 171
2008 LR3
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 6:22pm
Welcome!  Backpacker here, too... although as the kids grow I tend to get out car camping much more than up in the mountains.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kotasnana View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 4:20pm
It was the smallest tt with all the features we wanted. Also, we did not want to have to do a lot of work after arriving or before leaving like there is with a pop up. We are all about relaxing when camping. Ha...
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 7:46pm
The pod is our first TT.  I loved the shape and the overall look but what sold us was the features like weight, holding tanks, full bath (his requirement), price and dedicated queen bed (171).  It's easy to pull and even without mods, suits us well.
four peas
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 10:38pm
I was looking at pop-ups and my wife told me no way in h-e-double hockey sticks we were getting a pop-up.  So with a 4 cylinder toyota pickup my options were limited.   I looked at all sorts of "ultra-light" travel trailers.  Most were in the 5k lbs range.   The key features were permanent bed, full bath (wife only needed the toilet, I have issues not taking a shower lol), and a little space.  The 177 with the slide out was perfect for us, under 3k lbs with the options and items we have in it (usually) and was very affordable.  I honestly stopped looking further once I found the R-Pods.  I was originally looking at a 172, but wife came with me to purchase and picked the 177 ;)  

-Runebane 
RP-177
Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:41am

Was camping with friends and saw a 176T.  I liked the teardrop shape and the small size (at the time I had a Ford Ranger 3Liter) and thought that I could tow it with my truck.

Started looking at ultralights online but none of them seemed to have all the features that the R-Pod did for the price (slideout, larger refrigerator, largest water tanks, fresh, grey and black to mention the main ones)

Wife and I stopped in at a dealer in Conroe so that we could actually see what the interiors looked like and how we fit inside them (I would recommend this step for anyone who is thinking about buying a TT).  Momma and I are not small people, I'm 6' and she’s 5'10", because of the shape I wanted to make sure that we had adequate headroom while standing.  Last thing I wanted was to be all hunched over while walking inside.  We looked at various models after looking at the first two I knew I didn’t want to deal with the narrow path between the bed and entrance way.  A slideout was going to be the best bet for a little more room (no other company that I looked at had a slideout for a trailer this size).  I wanted the 175 for the couch, and momma wanted 177 for the dining table...and since she’s the one who called and ordered it want to guess which model we got?

Short version?  For the price this travel trailer had the most bang for the buck.

David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 4:05pm
    When we first looked at the RPods at a RV show I thought The shape looked strange and didn"t like it and moved on to look at others. A couple of months later I did some research and found that my mind changed. The shape has taken me some getting used to. Our decision mostly was it being light weight and afordable. The layout of the 171 we liked and the looks and quality of the cabinets. I have had more fun and spent more time doing mods than having the time to go camping. After 2 years we have only used a half of a tank of propane. Each year we take a 2 year vacation up to the mountains and visit family. Its great to have at that time and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Great support with the RPod fourms is a great advantage.      David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12