R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReturning to R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Returning to R-Pod
    Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 6:07pm
Amazing little things.LOL We have had people point and laugh, saying "look at that". Some have been caught looking and then just have to ask about it. Again, I think Pod People will have to be outgoing folks because we are calling attention to ourselves with the rig.  An Englishman wanted to know if I was a sales repStar
And the Pod is not inexpensive by any means.  I always thought that a trailer got you more bang for your buck than our motorhomes.  Why we see so many. Some people may be saying"you paid WHAT what THAT little thing.  But it fits a nitch for sure. I had 2 grands with me in it and it was fun for a bit, but topsy turvy all the time, just don't see how a couple and several children can do it. I have gotten past the " patient" time of my lifeTongue, I want order and lazy.

On the dog food storage.....still wonder what kind of "gas" this makes in our little friends if it sets the alarm to chirping

And speaking of alarms chirping. Here you have both hands full, the griddle full and the darn alarm over the bed chirps. Anytime I see a little puff of "smoke" come off the griddle I head for the alarm with a pot holder.
Now, I am going to try, only while cooking, putting one of the shower cap things that go over leftovers, over the alarm. If it still chirps I am going to insert a coffee filter in it to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 1:47pm
Do you have the bathroom vent fan on while you cook?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 2:41pm
Yes, I use the bathroom vent fan , but have never turned it on more than the low speed. Might need to try that too.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
uphillracer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 1:33pm
You sound a little like us. We are picking up our NEW 171 on Thursday. Take a look at the "NEWEST" 2011 171. I thought I LOVED the little tweaks and improvements: bathroom sink, 3" risers, easier to use dome.....
The price we got with every conceivable feature included from Jeff Couch was only $300 more than the previous 171 model without the tweaks. I thought that was VERY attractive.
We will tow with a 2008 Land Rover LR3 as we are planning to boondock too and love to get WAY OFF road.
Good luck.
Uphill, Di, Tracer & Jorja
2011 171
2008 LR3
Brewsterivy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 6:21am
Well,  yesterday I went to check out the new 177 and loved it!!
The slideout and 6 windows made the trailer seem spacious and I especially like the bathroom with a small sink and also the new graphics on the outside.  What I did not like was the TV hanging down from the ceiling over the bed - very odd since the other models did not have that arrangement.

One question I have is about the r-dome: Apparently the 2011 has a groove on the bottom to attach it.  I am planning to get the raised axle and wondered if that will affect it. I may try to negotiate without the dome since I travel alone most of the time, and I doubt I would be able to set it up.

Also - does anyone know what the "r" stands for? No one at the dealership seemed to know.

The items I believe I need to get are : class 2 hitch and sway bar (I currently have a class 1), raised axle, and electric brakes on my car.  Is there anything else I will need to negotiate or order specific to the rpod??  Is the raised axle necessary?? I heard of it from this site, and seeing how low the pipes were, I could understand how they could bottom out.  Are these things I should get done at the dealer or elsewhere?  I am totally not able to do that type of thing!  I  know those items will jack up the price considerably....Confused

Thank you!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Brewsterivy

Well,  yesterday I went to check out the new 177 and loved it!!
The slideout and 6 windows made the trailer seem spacious and I especially like the bathroom with a small sink and also the new graphics on the outside.  What I did not like was the TV hanging down from the ceiling over the bed - very odd since the other models did not have that arrangement.

One question I have is about the r-dome: Apparently the 2011 has a groove on the bottom to attach it.  I am planning to get the raised axle and wondered if that will affect it. I may try to negotiate without the dome since I travel alone most of the time, and I doubt I would be able to set it up.

Also - does anyone know what the "r" stands for? No one at the dealership seemed to know.

The items I believe I need to get are : class 2 hitch and sway bar (I currently have a class 1), raised axle, and electric brakes on my car.  Is there anything else I will need to negotiate or order specific to the rpod??  Is the raised axle necessary?? I heard of it from this site, and seeing how low the pipes were, I could understand how they could bottom out.  Are these things I should get done at the dealer or elsewhere?  I am totally not able to do that type of thing!  I  know those items will jack up the price considerably....Confused

Thank you!

I'll take a shot a couple of your items.

Personally, I would go with a class3 hitch, as they don't cost much more at all and that gives you plenty of safety margin/overcapacity.  Electric brakes - I prefer a proportional controller, like the "Prodigy" brand.  It costs a few dollars more, but makes for much smoother braking.  I did not have axle risers on my Pod and had no major issues.  At one KOA, the sewer pipe was actually higher than the outlet on the Pod but, for typical dumping, it was fine.  Many like the risers and I can see them being nice to have - if not too pricey.  I did not use the Dome, as I too travel alone.  I thought if I ever did, in order to avoid carrying a ladder, I would put a grommet in the "leading edge" of the area that feeds into the channel on the Pod and fashion a "hook on a pole" to help pull it thru to the channel.

I have installed hitches and brake controllers before and it is doable.  However, the "pros" will get it done quickly and it will probably cost you an extra $200 or so - vs. buying the stuff and doing it youself.

I hope this helps and good luck on your purchase!
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 8:57am
I wonder if the new Pod is online yet. I would like to eye the new graphics.
The 6th window, is it over your slideout. I had not realized there was a place for another window unless at the kitchen and I need the wall space. 5 windows seems enough. If they had put a window in the front end I would not have been able to put up my beautiful mural.

On the r- dome or a seperate awning. I did not jump in (as I usually do) and waited a season to see what I could handle alone. This rig is for me.  Unless I carry a ladder( and do I want to do that) I was not able to even string lights along that groove on the outside. I just ended up stringing them up insideStar  I have an awing in mind ( recommended on this forum) and have seen pictures of it here. If it is still available, I MIGHT go for it.  But again, how do I try something out that might get hung up along the groove. I have heard that silicone spray helps, but then I have heard that something there is a screw longer than it should be (and there does not seem to attention to that kind of detail when put together)and it has to changed. My challange was learning to hook up, unhook, pull Anything for the first time and doing pretty well, BUT reworking the Pod, challanged is a good word. I guess when Spring comes I could get a ladder out and go along the grove, maybe pull a cord through it to see if there are any hangups.  Might be worth having IF I am going to stay in a place more than a few days.  If I am taking a days break, I would not bother.
Hope you enjoy that Pod, I know you will.
I have men out raking up the leaves ( I live up agains't the National Park and my yard is downwind from the falling leaves.  Anyhow, they were out going around the Pod and looking underneath. It sure is an eye catching thing.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 3:20pm
I agree with David about going with a class 3 and a Prodigy brake controller.  The C channel along the bottom edge is there to attach the extra screen provided to keep the bugs out.  Mine has never been out of the bag, but I could see needing it in mosquito country.  I don't know if they give you enough extra length on that screen to account for the risers so someone else will need to answer that.  I think if you order the risers from the factory its only an extra $100 - assuming you aren't buying one that is already on a dealer's lot.  You can order the risers directly from the factory for about $80 and install them yourself.  Don't order them through a dealer because they mark them up a lot.

Instead of a sway bar I recommend the Equalizer or Equalizer E2, which gives you weight distribution and sway control.  The difference in ride quality with vs. w/o a WDH is night and day.  I wish I got it years ago for my popup.  The E2 has less sway control than the original, but it is also cheaper.  If you don't have much of a sway issue with no sway control (I towed for a year w/o any sway control) then the E2 will be fine.  Mine was about $450 online.

I think the "r" is just a play on words.  ouR-pod
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Brewsterivy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 3:44pm
Thank you - those answers are what I need to know what I am talking about!! I do have a dumb basic question about the riser:  does it lift the trailer up a few inches...without lifting the wheels?  If I do order it from the company for about $80, who would I get to install it - a local car mechanic or maybe a U-haul dealer?  Remember, I am the widowed grandmother who is best at baking cookies!!!
I can hitch, pull and unhitch but anything more than that is probably beyond my capabilities.

Yes, the extra window is on the slideout over the sink/stove.  I really like the openness but I never thought about needing wall space. I will have to work on that.

Again, thanks for the info.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Brewsterivy

Thank you - those answers are what I need to know what I am talking about!! I do have a dumb basic question about the riser:  does it lift the trailer up a few inches...without lifting the wheels?  If I do order it from the company for about $80, who would I get to install it - a local car mechanic or maybe a U-haul dealer?  Remember, I am the widowed grandmother who is best at baking cookies!!!
I can hitch, pull and unhitch but anything more than that is probably beyond my capabilities.

Yes, the extra window is on the slideout over the sink/stove.  I really like the openness but I never thought about needing wall space. I will have to work on that.

Again, thanks for the info.

Yes, it lifts the trailer up.  The wheels and axle remain on the ground - with the frame/body of the pod being raised.  You will have a higher step up into your Pod.  Judging by what you write, I would recommend having the dealer install them.  If not installed properly, the Pod might not "track" true going down the road.  It's not rocket science, but they must be positioned properly.  If the dealer wants to sell you a Pod, perhaps he/she will be reasonable, price wise.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>